It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Militant Flyers Say Baghdad Streets Will Be Washed With Blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Armed militants have been distributing flyers in an eastern neighbourhood of Baghdad, threatening to wash the streets with the blood of voters. The flyer states that car bombs, rockets and mortars have already been prepared for the polling stations. It advises all Iraqi's to stay at least 500 metres away from polling stations to avoid injury, and warns the US will not be able to protect them.

cnews.canoe.ca
The leaflets, which didn't bear the name of any militant group, warned that "those who dare to stand in the lines of death to participate in the elections will be responsible for the consequences that will be heavy." "He will not be able to imagine what will happen to him and his family for taking part in this crusaders' conspiracy to occupy the land of Islam," the flyers said.

As armed men distributed the flyers in the capital's eastern Rashad neighbourhood, Iraqi police fired on them, setting off fierce clashes that left at least 11 policemen dead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If I was an average Iraqi, I think that those flyers would certainly give me pause. If these statements are true, then the US forces are in for a rough time. But even if they aren't true, they may have been enough to scare some Iraqi's away from participating in the process. I hope this exercise in democracy doesn't turn into a tragedy.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
With out a doubt these threats will have some impact on the voting. But there will be many who will be defiant against these threats and still attempt to vote.

I would love to be able to say these are idle threats, but I doubt they are.

I hate to say that I think there will be many deaths during the voting period.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes it ought to be a record low voter turnout... they need to allow people to mail in votes or something... otherwise they will have a president elected by a very small group of people that had balls to vote... (well at least the "strong' will lead... or is it more the "stupid" who will lead)

good opportunity for an extremist group to take control...
what if the terrorist leader got elected?

it would probably only take a thousand votes or so...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Yes it ought to be a record low voter turnout

What would you consider a record low for free elections in iraq?

... they need to allow people to mail in votes or something

There is not postal service is there?

otherwise they will have a president elected by a very small group of people that had balls to vote

Seems like they should get to decide

good opportunity for an extremist group to take control...
what if the terrorist leader got elected?

He's not running

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
One thing I've been wondering about is if voter turnout is low enough, there is a possibility that the govt could be elected by Iraqi's living outside the country. And while they have every right to vote, it seems to me that the whole point is for the people that live there to have their say.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Something like 80% of Iraqis are believed to be voting in this election. Low turnout won't be a problem. It wasn't a problem in Afghanistan. Many people, women in particular, thought they would die there. They still went.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Good for the Afghani's
I hope the same will happen in Iraq, and that this is just a scare tactic, and not a warning of what's to come.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow, last time they voted in an election (yes i know it was fixed) they would have been shot if they didn't vote for saddam. Now they are going ot get shot for voting.

I am suer glad America invaded and deposed Saddam

Really tho, there are going ot be large numbers of voters and it is a chance for Iraqi citezans to show they are not a minority and will not cower becasue of terrorist threats

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Our American Revolution cost a great number of lives. Our Civil War the bloodiest in our history. If anyone thinks it won't be the same in Iraq is foolish. Either they want to be free or not.

new topics

top topics

join