It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just voted Gary Johnson for POTUS. 5% is all we need.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: imwilliam
a reply to: gladtobehere

I didn't know this:

If the Libertarians can get 5% of the vote this year, it means that we will receive matching funds and a national stage in the next election.

Thanks Glad, I always thought people voted third party just as a protest vote. I didn't realize there was a game plan behind it.

S&F

Chalk it up to everyone being constantly fed false info about the validity of 3rd party votes. They're not half-assed protest votes, ever. Writing in Mighty Mouse is. Voting for a legitimate candidate is definitely not.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Hopefully we can take away enough votes to be taken seriously by the general public.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Every American that wants a third or more party every four years needs to first prove that their party can govern. I remember when the Green Party was organized in the US. There were candidates run in my state; I think one may have won a state office race, probably in other states, too. But then over the years, the GP became just a name on the ballot. I have family members and friends who register Green but don't vote GP exclusively.

The long term, uphill battle for third+ parties: change the Constitutional power sharing structure unique to America, change the voting system that is done differently than most world democracies, and convince citizens to vote your platform or that your candidate can govern in state legislatures and governorships (Gary J was elected as a Republican, not a Libertarian). One condition is not enough.

The reason we are in this year's political mess is that the Republican Party has effectively become a parliamentarian party, while our federal governance structure is NOT parliamentarian.

Every ATS member who wants to see a third+ party needs to get out tomorrow and put in the long term work required to support their party (with manpower and money) in order to elect members (not just "get on the ballot") for every state legislature and at least one governorship. Without proof of ability to govern, third+ parties will not be taken seriously. You cannot come out only every 4 years and either expect to win or wait to make your party platform known.

Accept the challenge, and in your lifetime you could have a viable party.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Third+ parties will only be taken seriously when they prove they can govern. It takes work, not just voting every four years. Our federal system is not good for "spoilers", the general public does not take kindly to them at that level. Make your party actually govern with their platform, not count on "taking away".

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

Not putting down your post at all or making light of it. But we can see that Republicans and Democrats can't govern so why would a third party candidate need to prove it? Republicans and Democrats can go through the motions (Robert's rules of order, parlimentary procedure, etc) but that proves nothing. To be an effective elected official, I should know, I was one with no experience and no idea what I was doing, all you need is a good platform or policies that you want to implement. There are always aids, admins, interns, secretaries, mentors, and staffers that guide you through anything.

There is no need to prove that you can govern. What you need to prove is that you aren't more of the same, pay to play, in the pockets of lobbyists and like to speak in policy speak and double talk. Let's get some real people, not politicians in office. That's what we need.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Go Johnson!!!!

If everyone would quit voting for the lesser evil and vote 3rd party we would have real change!

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Always glad to take a response from you. :-)

What you need to prove is that you aren't more of the same, pay to play, in the pockets of lobbyists and like to speak in policy speak and double talk.

Exactly! And you do that by running for an office and being elected. Talk is cheap. You need to govern with a platform, govern without being in the pockets of lobbyists, without policy speak or double speak.

If you personally have experience governing as a third+ party, then your party should work to get more of you elected. If you were elected for a non-partisan position, then maybe you can transfer your experience to a partisan office, running as a third+ party member.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

We also voted for Gary Johnson. Hoping for 5% in his favor nationally so we can break out of this 2 party system, plus we will sleep well with a clear conscience. Most people chose their idea of the "lesser of two evils". There is no lesser evil, only evil.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: BlueShaman
Thank you for not voting for the witch.

Donald's is many things, but he's not a witch!

And neither is Hillary.

She is no woman!!

But, but, but, no gender is defined for to be a witchy.
Maybe she's a Leppo and Gary johnson is very worried about Leppos, once he heard about them, that is.

edit on 8-11-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
For the Independents(can't say I align with these specifically) but
to the attempts to help out and good luck for us all. Down with the two party sham system.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Chalk it up to everyone being constantly fed false info about the validity of 3rd party votes. They're not half-assed protest votes, ever. Writing in Mighty Mouse is. Voting for a legitimate candidate is definitely not.

Well said. I feel like people are so engrossed in the 2 party system they can no longer see beyond it, this whole Trump and Hillary thing has solidified a reality where people are literally at each others throats over who is the least evil of the two front runners. Worse than that, they highlight the corruption in their opponent and then act like their candidate of choice is a saint when there's a huge steaming pile of crap looming behind both candidates and they are both very far from being "outsiders" despite what any fool may claim about them. I honestly expected ATS to be a bit more awake, but it's now just a place full of idiots playing this stupid game.
edit on 8/11/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: desert

How exactly do we do that?

Especially with a First Past the Post voting system.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Gary Johnson actually has more executive experience than both Trump or Clinton.

Yeah he made a gaffe. Trump makes weekly gaffes. Hillary is suspected of lying to congress and corruption.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

JRC, you are earnest and deserve a straightforward reply. For reasons below, the reply I would have written yesterday no longer holds.

Because much of the economic part of LP ideology has already been taken up by the RP, due to the decades efforts of big money like the Koch Bros and Trumpa's billionaire Libertarian funder Robert Mercer, the election of Trumpa to POTUS is a victory for Libertarian economic principles. During this election cycle, the LP was used as part of a Stop Trump effort by other Republicans and brought to the public's attention. Now that the RP has firmly taken over all branches of US govt. it does not need the LP and it can be cast aside. The drive to "drown govt in a bathtub" will continue now. Except....

The exception will be those RP members who will use the LP as a refuge from today's RP. Continuing on..... Because the RP has consolidated its power over all three branches, it does not need its last ditch campaign effort to change First Past the Post voting. You will get no help by the RP to change voting, now that they hold power.

Ironically, if Hillary had been elected, there would have been more of a chance to change the way we vote. It was Bill Clinton as POTUS who promoted the idea! Lani Guinier Bill threw Ms. Guinier under the bus (as Obama threw Van Jones under the bus) when she met with GOP opposition. I think that with a Clinton presidency, there would have been a push from citizens to change voting, as citizen anger was building, and there would not be consolidated power to tamp down any efforts.

So, JRC, IMO, efforts to change the way we vote will be ignored. There is now one party (a faction) control of all three branches, who would not support any efforts to change the status quo via Constitution or voting. .... lol I have to reverse myself on your idea to act as a spoiler. That may be the only way now to gain attention: yell. However, understand that the only thing of the Libertarian ideology left to bring up is the social part, as the rest now has total control in WA. And the RP now in power will not accept the social part.

One last thing, there is still a chance for third parties at the state level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join