It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boycott of celebrities due to political affiliation.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Just questions my dear boy, just questions.
Hard to derail an opinion thread.
Considering that from the very beginning you never
even answered and yet - here we still are.
So do you think those celebrities are traitors?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Not necessarily, as not all Democrats believe in assault weapon bans.

However, if I find that a celebrity supports a specific issue that I strongly disagree with I will not support them.

I guess I am close to being an one issue voter.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: alphabetaone

You're allowed to defend your opinion.
You're allowed to interpret my comment how you wish.
The fact remains that they were still questions.
Questions asked to set a line to understand his convictions.
He himself just finished replying avoiding it all as well.
You can't have "convictions" that change per subject - then they're not convictions.
It's just whack-a-mole.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   

They are useful idiots. Traitors actually have knowledge or information of value that they use to commit treasonous acts. Celebrities have nothing other than their reputations or "brands".

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I agree - but do they have useful information apart from being useful idiots?
They are part of the propaganda arm of our established reality.
Isn't Trump a brand - isn't that why people follow him - he's a reality TV star.
I remember everyone now trumping for Trump attacking Obamas lack of experience.
Trump literally has none and all those same people now feel that it's what's needed.
What has changed? What is different? What ideological new connections have been made
in these last 8 years that now have given forgiveness for this lack of "on the job" experience
that was once lauded as the all seeing eye of reason as to why it was bad for Obama.
So Trump as a celebrity - if he fails to win the presidency - will his brand deserve to become
destroyed?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: MagicCow
Have we grown to become such a snowflake society that even the slightest objection to
our beliefs now have to be met with full on avoidance of such outlets?

True that man.

I may disagree quite pointedly with say Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton (shut up Wesley) to the point of finding them intolerable human beings, but they make good entertainment and will watch their nerddom stuff. Doesn't mean I want to chill with the actors after the movie is over, they are just virtue signaling jacktards, but their entertainment suits me.

Same with a Chuck Norris flick verses Chuck Norris himself, total disconnect. Madonna's music (if I was a fan) will still be good music (if you like that) regardless of who she plans to give oral to...same with Ted Nugent.

People have different opinions, and that's what the whole concept of a democratic society is..to butt heads and find compromise in differences..we aren't a communism, its not just the norm to have opposing ideas and ideals, its perhaps the most important aspect of the society.'

But seriously
Shut up wesley

Yeah, stfu wesley!

I hated that kid.

A friend just asked me last week if I wanted to see James Taylor, he's coming at the end of Feb! wtf, why ask me now?!

I'm not a fan at all and less so now that he was playing for hillary.

Springsteen lost me after the E-Street Band, Jovi after Young Guns.

JZ and beyonce I'd never go and see. Madonna had 1 good song, ok 3, Gaga fuhget about it.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Yeah, stfu wesley!

I hated that kid.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Yeah, stfu wesley!

I hated that kid.

Classic.

I love Wil.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

For me personally, Trump was a useful idiot. He is the same as writing in Mickey mouse. However, unlike the usual non-consequense of writing in a candidate, this had a chance at real disruption. That makes him ideal for those of us that wanted to shake the cage.

This was probably the American people's last chance at a peaceful resolution to the corruption and collusion of global politics.

Trump was never malevolent.

I think the next populist movement will be.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If celebrities would have any brain at all they would stay away of the political garbage. Why would someone work so hard for years to make a name for himself and then associate with one of these two crooks is beyond me.
So in this respect I am very disappointed by Bon Jovi; I believed him to be better than this. Who he chose to endorse is not even relevant at this point; they're all in the same stinking pot.
Yet I'm not so disgusted as to not listen to his songs anymore; his best songs are written decades ago anyway.

And for the people, if they vote for someone because lady Gaga or Madonna said so, I'm sorry but they fully deserve whatever is coming for them.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
If you are influenced or swayed by another person's beliefs; if you are offended that someone could have a view differing from yours; if you would actually go to the extent to boycott an athlete, actor, actress, etc. simply because of their individual right to their own political and/or religious beliefs, you are an extremely flawed human.

That's not you as in the OP, but "you" as in any random member of society.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Pretty much.

While I am working, I am getting paid to run experiments and design stuff... "dance, monkey, dance" if you will. I admit I like that dance, and apparently most celebrities like the dance they do. So just do it.

Don't think that your dance makes the dance of others less, though.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I don't really boycott anything.

I support celebrities based on their talent--it's assumed from the start that they're not necessarily the smartest monkeys at the zoo, so their opinions on...well, anything...really don't matter to me.

Just a few samples, mostly rockers,
Brian Edward Cox, OBE, FRS physicist, and Advanced Fellow of particle physics in the School of Physics and Astronomy...D:Ream

Brian May PhD in Astrophysics, degree in Physics.......Queen.

Tom Scholz..........Boston.

Brett Gurewitz.....Bad Religion.

Laurie Anderson......singer.

John Perry Barlow, co writer, The Grateful Dead.

Robert Leonard.....Sha Na Na.

Sterling Morrison.....The Velvet Underground.

Tom Morello....Rage Against The Machine.

All degree bods, And there are loads more.
edit on 8-11-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteHat

The celebs who do have some brain do mostly stay away from open politics. You can find their opinions if you look and there is a good correlation between their relative intelligence and the way they stay away from foisting their politics on everyone.

Natalie Portman and James Woods are a couple of examples; one leaning each way.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Sorry--when I said that they're not the "smartest," I meant to say not the "most intelligent."

Degrees and titles don't equate to intelligence in MANY instances.

But calm down--I didn't say that ALL celebrities are unintelligent, I said that they're "not necessarily" smart/intelligent. Of course some are very intelligent, others very smart, and some are both. But there are also many who are not.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
An actor/musician would have to have some REALLY, REALLY strange views before I would consider boycotting their work.

Endorsing Trump or Hillary certainly wouldn't be enough.

I don't understand people who boycott celebs for voicing their political opinions.

I go to watch the movie, not ponder politics.

edit on 8-11-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Classic.

I love Wil.

Meh, I like his work in some stuff, and he has done a lot for reviving tabletop gaming. He is actually a pretty cool guy, but he also has a issue where he is trapped in the offense culture and spends far too much time using his popularity to insult anyone who isn't a progressive, or likes video games that is deemed to be inappropriate, etc.

Some years back after his stint in tng, he was just a guy and he used to be on the same forum as me. we chatted, cool and funny guy. caught up years later on twitter and he is back to his former pro-bullying anyone he disagrees with publically. That's sad, he wrote on fark a long time ago how he used to bully people because of his insecurities. if anyone had different views, he would try to hurt them by insulting and rallying to humiliate...and he is back to exactly that.

It was funny when he ultimately was a "Bernie bro" and many of his ultra progressive flock called him a sexist because of that..watching him squirm saying he wasn't and it was unfair was ironic given he just got done blocking people who disagreed with anita sarkeesian's misrepresentation of video games due to him saying they are clearly sexist.

I wont go too much into it. he is just a disappointment. him and Felicia could have been a force to help unite and put balance in gaming and entertainment, and instead, are now on a crusade of hypocritical puritanism...aka, the stance the right wing had in the 90s is now the stance of the progressive left wing circa 2014-16

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
Many people have followed down that path with now the boycott of celebrities
to the extent that they will no longer listen to Bruce Springsteen or watch Robert Deniro
movies - all of these things are entertainment that you have enjoyed for years.

Pragmatic answer: I will continue to enjoy listening to the same artists I enjoyed listening to prior to their recent behaviors and I will continue to watch movies staring the actors and actresses I enjoyed watching prior to their recent behaviors because I am entertained by them. That said, I will never again pay to listen to their music or pay to watch their movies. They're absolutely entitled to their opinions, but I see what they do with their money, who they "donate" that money to, and I refuse to allow my dollars to be added to that pot used to fund politicians and movements which I disagree with.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
How does it make me a snowflake to have some damn conviction?

I don't like McDonald's, thus I don't patron the establishment.

This is no different. The fact that they are selling entertainment and not crappy food makes no difference. They are entitled to opinions, but should not be surprised when consequences come from expression of those opinions on their grand stage.

Besides. When was the last time you saw anything original, compelling, or even intelligent come from these people? It's all the same processed, tasteless garbage. Just like MacDonald's.

So you're saying we should only do business with those we agree with politically? Doesn't that just fracture the country further and divide things along partisan lines?

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Religion and politics....i am unconcerned with how people feel about these things, beyond conversational curiosity. Tom Cruise is a great example....he's someone I would hate to spend any time with. But he's a decent actor that lands good roles. So i have no problem watching his insane ass doing whatever he is being paid to do.

Its myopic to boycott over politics.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join