It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Boycott of celebrities due to political affiliation.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Recently across different platforms I have watched videos and
read articles dealing with just the subject matter of the topic.
During this election families have been broken apart, due to political ideology
and dogmatic belief of corresponding presidential candidate.
Some might call this hope - others might call this stronger together and other
still call it making america great again.
Many people have followed down that path with now the boycott of celebrities
to the extent that they will no longer listen to Bruce Springsteen or watch Robert Deniro
movies - all of these things are entertainment that you have enjoyed for years.
Have we grown to become such a snowflake society that even the slightest objection to
our beliefs now have to be met with full on avoidance of such outlets?
Do you consider these celebrities to be "traitors"?
Do you personally feel they have betrayed you?
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

+15 more 
posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from the consequences. If celebrity A goes out and calls anyone who votes for the candidate they don't want an asshole and an ignorant fool why would those people pay their own money to support him?

I can't wait for them all to leave the country once the election results are in.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Sorry -i'm not entirely sure who exactly you think is leaving?
Which celebrities are you boycotting?
I rather not assume your political affiliation.
It's funny however that you believe freedom of speech is not
freedom from the consequences though and if you're a Trump
supporter - SUPER HILARIOUS.

edit on 8-11-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
Have we grown to become such a snowflake society that even the slightest objection to
our beliefs now have to be met with full on avoidance of such outlets?

True that man.

I may disagree quite pointedly with say Felicia Day and Wil Wheaton (shut up Wesley) to the point of finding them intolerable human beings, but they make good entertainment and will watch their nerddom stuff. Doesn't mean I want to chill with the actors after the movie is over, they are just virtue signaling jacktards, but their entertainment suits me.

Same with a Chuck Norris flick verses Chuck Norris himself, total disconnect. Madonna's music (if I was a fan) will still be good music (if you like that) regardless of who she plans to give oral to...same with Ted Nugent.

People have different opinions, and that's what the whole concept of a democratic society is..to butt heads and find compromise in differences..we aren't a communism, its not just the norm to have opposing ideas and ideals, its perhaps the most important aspect of the society.'

But seriously
Shut up wesley

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Hollywoods primary job is to develop celebrities for that purpose. Actors act, they get paid.

"Here, read these lines from the script --Action".

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Too many people worship at the alter of celebrity. I get very tired of them being trotted out to tell us all whom to vote for or what causes we should support as if they are actual experts on the matter. In reality, their opinions shouldn't hold anymore weight than yours or mine do.

But Cameron Diaz told us we should vote as if our lady parts depended on it in 2012 or 2008. She was supporting Obama. It was a big deal. Her entire argument was that I should vote for Obama because I have a vagina ... honestly. That level of opinion doesn't even begin to scratch the bottom level of argument here and I am not going to call this the height of intellectualism for informed argumentation.

But if anyone came here and made that argument and was truly serious, they'd be laughed off the forum.

That's the depth of celebrity input for the most part. Some do better at it, but you generally don't see them trotted out in voting ads, either.

But to get back to my point, if they do stupid crap, why should I continue to patronize their projects and feed them my money? Someone who widely and profoundly insults me and my personal beliefs ... why continue to feed them my money?

Oh, you hate hicks from flyover and people who think conservatively and you have also expressed your deepest contempt for people of faith too ... well sure! Take my money and continue to enrich yourself off my hard work while you continue to profess a deep hatred of all I believe in ...

That just plain makes little sense.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   

If people want to be that way, it's their right to do so. I can't say I blame them, I'm very similar with Jim Carrey. I grew up watching him in "In Living Color", and loved many of his movies after that. Though around the time Cable Guy came out he was going downhill, but then made some better movies down the road. I had high respect for the guy, well, until the last few years when he seems to have gone crazy.

I first felt sad for him when I saw the youtube video of him professing his love for Emma Stone. I'm not sure what happened to the guy, but it doesn't seem to have been good. I lost all respect for him, though, after he opened his big mouth regarding our 2nd amendment rights. I'm not talking about that dumb song he made, but something I heard him say in a video alongside it. He said something along the lines of "Anyone who supports the 2nd amendment right doesn't have a soul worth saving."

Now that's not the exact quote, but it's very close to what he said. I've tried finding the video to show people, but whenever I search for it all I find is the song he made, "Cold dead hands". What bothers me about this, though, is that I believe in our 2nd amendment right. I don't own a gun, I don't want to own a gun, but I believe in everyones right to bear arms. Though I may not be the best person in the world, but I do believe myself to be a good person. To hear someone I looked up to growing up say that I don't have a soul worth saving all because I believe in the right to bear arms really offended me, so much that I can't stand the guy and never want to see anything he's in again.

So if people can't stand their favorite stars political opinion, that's their right. That's what happens when you open your mouth. Depending on your beliefs, you can change how people look at you. You don't have to like it, but that's how it is.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Exactly - some people are really scaring me with the fervor.
On both sides of the aisle while more prominent in one camp the
fascism that's starting to breathe is over the top.
I'm incredibly curious how it will hold up once this madness is over.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I think Ted Nugent is the epitome of a despicable human being with his selfadmited pedophilia, and draft dodging cowardice, but....

I own all his records and would pay big money to see him perform again. imo, he is a rock and roll icon!

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Fair enough and great points and very well articulated.
BRAVO - STAR FOR YOU MY FRIEND.
Some celebrities really do talk too much smack.
You also stated that many worship at the alter of celebrity and
I agree with you on that their opinions aren't any more valid than yours or mine.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Great commentary Necro - for me he lost me with this whole STD suicide debacle with his girlfriend.
Those texts between them are pretty damning.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I think Ted Nugent is the epitome of a despicable human being with his selfadmited pedophilia, and draft dodging cowardice, but....

I own all his records and would pay big money to see him perform again. imo, he is a rock and roll icon!

Ted likes pizza? Where can i find that story??

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
If a celebrity approves of an assault weapons ban that means they don't want me owning them.

Why would I give money to someone that wants to control certain aspects of my life?
edit on 8-11-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

There is a difference IMO too between say ... catching a Matt Damon movie on TV and paying the money to directly see it first run at the box office or buying the DVD or BluRay.

And I'll listen to the radio all day too, even to music made by idiots. I'm just not necessarily going to purchase it with my own cash depending on what was said.

And even then, it's not about them disagreeing with me. It's about how offensive or obnoxious they get about it. Let's be honest. Most every celeb is liberal these days, but not every celeb is going to come right out and directly insult the portions of their fan base who don't think exactly like they do.
edit on 8-11-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
How does it make me a snowflake to have some damn conviction?

I don't like McDonald's, thus I don't patron the establishment.

This is no different. The fact that they are selling entertainment and not crappy food makes no difference. They are entitled to opinions, but should not be surprised when consequences come from expression of those opinions on their grand stage.

Besides. When was the last time you saw anything original, compelling, or even intelligent come from these people? It's all the same processed, tasteless garbage. Just like MacDonald's.

link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
If a celebrity approves of an assault weapons ban that means they don't want me owning them.

Why would I give money to someone that wants to control certain aspects of my life?

But will boycott other celebrities for not wanting to vote for your presidential candidate?
I've seen posts commenting that Bon Jovi should be hung for betraying what it is to be american for voting Hillary.

link   

See, when I was growing up, I was brought up in an environment where one was instructed and encouraged to keep your political affiliations to themselves. Don't tell others how you vote, it's none of your business.

So, if celebrities, or anyone don't wish to face the consequences of their endorsements, they should simply abstain.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I don't really boycott anything.

I support celebrities based on their talent--it's assumed from the start that they're not necessarily the smartest monkeys at the zoo, so their opinions on...well, anything...really don't matter to me.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

What are your convictions?
Are your clothes and household items or vehicles manufactured here in the USA?
Are you favorite actors/actresses American?
Where is your food processed and shipped from?

I'm positive you break from your "convictions" daily if not hourly.
Are you married? Do you have extramarital affairs?
Convictions are funny thing when held with zealots incapable of
seeing their own hypocrisy but it sure does sound good on paper.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

hahahahahaha best comment and truest comment yet.

edit on 8-11-2016 by MagicCow because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join