It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Raqqa (Syria) Begins - November 7, 2016

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Russians seem to be contradicting themselves? The first video from RT credits government forces, the second video by Ruptly credits the SDF. The latter is more likely since the Syrian army has not made it to Raqqa city limits yet.

Published on Jun 29, 2017
Government forces on the front-line in Raqqa successfully forced back the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) in the course of heavy gunfire on Thursday. Raqqa forces used rockets and assault rifles, resulting in the death of one ISIS member and many others leaving their positions.

Published on Jun 29, 2017

SDF forces on the front-line in Raqqa successfully forced back the self-proclaimed Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) in the course of heavy gunfire on Thursday.

Raqqa forces used rockets and assault rifles, resulting in the death of one IS member and many others leaving their positions.

Kind of funny sorta. In any case, I will simply use the YPG press release version, I think they got it right

SDF fighter shows Turkish army weapons captured in ISIS capital

Kurdish YPG & SDF Forces in Urban Fighting And Firefights

[url=https://twitter.com/ericasangsuwan/status/880390760809594886] Erica‏ @ericasangsuwan

#YPG #Kurdish Fighters, Involved In #SDF's Campaign To Liberate #Raqqa , Evaluate The Situation On The Ground & The Destruction Of The City

translation by google
The freedom fighters are walking towards the west of Al-Diriyah in the neighborhood of Raqqah. After the el-Qatisiya neighborhood, the QSD fighters continued their development and there were fewer towns to surround completely. 06-27-2017

screwy google translation
Rescue of the ISIS gangs, June 26, was released on June 26, the capital of Qaqis, which was rescued by the QSD fighters in June 25. The gangs of the gangs were broken down by the armed forces. (26-06-2017)

posted on Jun, 29 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Reposting the video from Xaphan's thread since the one I had was removed for whatever reason.

originally posted by: Xaphan
Saw this a few hours ago; just thought I'd share it here. Talk about luck!

American volunteer explains a bit about his experience fighting for Rojava and how he came to be there.

US Lt. Steven General Townsend confirms to CBS news that American forces will be in Syria for some time to come while reassuring that Russia USA direct confrontations are unlikely thanks to deconfliction line.

edit on 6-29-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
SDF packed like Sardines in a IAG Guardian during troop movements in Raqqa, So not safe. Could easily lose lose them all to an IED or SPG-9.

Rojava‏ @AzadiRojava
SDF liberated civilians last night, mostly women & children in E #Raqqa Rimêla district. They were taken to safe place to stay.

edit on 7-2-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
U.S. Marines fire M777-A2 Howitzers in Syria Using XM1156 guided fuze Shells for SDF Support

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Found this on the marines twitter page. @LostWeapons discusses the the effectiveness of the XM1156 guided charge. I remember reading bout these in popular mechanics when they were being first developed in the beginning of the decade. Nice to see them out there. Accuracy is keeping collateral damage in mind, good to prevent friendly fire in close urban street battles too.

Marines in Syria show ISIS why artillery is the king of battle. Marines conduct 24-hour, all-weather fire for the Syrian Democratic Forces. (U.S. Marine Corps video by Sgt. Matthew Callahan)

Visit linked thread for more about the Precision Guided artillery kit and how its use saves lives by reducing collateral damge, finishes an engagement quicker and with fierce efficiency reducing cost by utilizing less rounds. Marines are just too badass! I think its safe to say Rojava will be protected by the US, and likely NATO forces for some time to come in a similar fashion to Israel. The question is, will the Kurds ever be allowed their own Air Force ??

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Im waiting for images to show up of an alleged armored drone shot down over Raqqa. WTF is daesh thinking, how much armor could you actually effectively put on a DJI Phantom exactly?

Latest from #Raqqa operation: Armored drone of ISIS shut down in the West front by #MFS #SDF. #Syria @CENTCOM @coalition @HSNB_

Daesh also tried to take down what appear to be A-10 Thunderbolts with truck mounted AA cannons. Thankfully and expectedly, they were unsuccessful. We got to be careful though, these guns were designed for low flying craft such as these. A lucky shot is not so far fetched.

AMN
DAMASCUS, SYRIA (1:30 A.M.) – The Islamic State’s machine-guns and anti-aircraft guns are doing their utmost to bring down American warplanes over the provincial capital of Raqqa, a series of new photos published by Amaq Agency reveal.

The images show US bombers hovering over the Islamic State capital in plain sight of jihadist belligerents. Furthermore, ISIS militants were shown targeting buildings controlled by hostile Kurdish combattants:

A US official confirmed on Wednesday that American military advisors are currently operating inside the city of Raqqa, but we already knew that from some of the sniper videos I seent

ARA News, Pulse of the North
Colonel Ryan Dillon, a military spokesman for the US-led coalition, said that the troops include special operations forces, and are working in an “advise, assist and accompany” role to support local fighters from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in the battle against ISIS. “They are much more exposed to enemy contact than those in Iraq,” said Col. Dillon, adding that the numbers of US troops in Raqqa were “not hundreds.”

The US-led coalition’s Lt. Gen. Stephen J. Townsend said that Islamic State’s (ISIS) militant fighters in Syria’s Raqqa have only one option: “Their options are to surrender or be killed.”

Sounds like my kind of General, the only kind.
Holding a third of the city is also wonderful progress in one months time.
A US-backed coalition has captured 30% of Raqa, Syria since it entered the IS bastion in June after a months-long operation to recapture it

posted on Jul, 13 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Published on Jul 12, 2017

Scenes of clashes from Raqqa city, and SDF Forces advancing inside the old neighborhoods of the city, in addition to saving troops for a new batch of civilians.

Afarin Mamosta‏ @AfarinMamosta

SDF disarmed ISIS mines (IEDs) throughout the city of Raqqa.

Local civillians fleeing ISIS areas are often the victims.

Published on Jul 11, 2017

Kurdish SDF forces call on a coalition Air strike on ISIS building, then handcuff and save the trapped ISIS militant from underneath the rubble. The ISIS militant was cared for and later interrogated.

#YPG's American volunteer Nicholas Alan Warden (Rodi Deysie) was martyred in action July 5 while valiantly fighting Daesh (#ISIS) in #Raqqa. We also lost Robert Grodt

SDF combing liberated areas in #Raqqa. They found 3 tunnels a workshop 4 armored cars (used 4 VBIEDS) & weapons

posted on Jul, 22 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Been having too much fun visiting beaches and paint-balling and trolling peeps spying on me lately. Lets put some updates down now that I am relaxing.

The following map shows Syria's gains have just about reached the Euphrates. This can help them get a jump start towards Der Azawr.

According to the Tiger Forces’ official page, the Syrian Arab Army liberated the villages of Al-Dakhilah, Bir Al-Sabkhawi, and Al-Sabkhawi in Al-Raqqa’s southeastern countryside today.

With these villages liberated, the Syrian Arab Army is now withing reach of the Euphrates River and the Deir Ezzor provincial border with the Al-Raqqa Governorate.

The SDF Kurdish forces are making new gains after a temporary hiatus for restocking.

Kurdish forces resume Raqqa operation, capture new neighborhood from ISIS.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well now, the YPG sure means business! Of course there is something to be said for their trigger discipline and firing positions. Perhaps they need to revisit those two week courses before going back out for deployment??
This one is from today

and this was last week.

And we lost another American citizen fighting in Raqqa . He was from my home state. RIP fallen warrior!

Published on Jul 25, 2017

YPG's American volunteer David Taylor (Zafer Qereçox) was martyred in action July 16 while fearlessly fighting Daesh (ISIS) in Raqqa.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Well now, the Kurdish forces are threatening to leave the Raqqa operation if Turkey does not end its attacks along the border. As the groups that protect that area are on the front lines in Raqqa, they do not feel it makes any sense to continue while their home is defenseless. I tend to agree, Turkey should stop.

Kurdish force may leave Raqqa campaign if Turkey continues attacks
ERBIL, Kurdistan Region – The head of the Kurdish YPG forces that comprise the backbone of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have warned they will withdraw from the alliance if Turkey continues to increase its attacks on the Shahba region and Afrin.

Sipan Hemo said that they have communicated their concerns to the US-coalition in “clear” terms.
“We have shared our issue with the coalition. If the Turkish state continued its occupation attacks against Afrin and Shahba, the Raqqa operation will not continue,” Hemo told the PKK-affiliated ANF media on Friday.

He said that the forces responsible for defending the Shahba Region, located in northern Syria between Kobane and Afrin, have said loud and clear that it does not make sense for their forces to fight ISIS in Raqqa while their region is under attack from Turkey, a NATO ally.

“The main protection force of the Shahba Region, Jaish al-Thuwar [Army of Revolutionaries], as it is known, is now fighting in Raqqa. They have made this issue clear. They have said that ‘if the attacks against us increase, fighting in Raqqa will no longer carry any meaning.’ We also have the same thinking,” Hemo said.

Well now, how will the Pentagon handle this one??? The Kurds have really looked up to this administration for their support. Hopefully they do not get left in the wind on empty promises, like so many other instances in the past.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Updates:

صعد عناصر تنظيم الدولة الاسلامية عملياتهم لصد الهجمات التي تشنها قوات سوريا الديموقراطية مع تضييق الخناق عليهم بشكل متزايد في الرقة، بحسب ما أفاد مقاتلون في القوات المؤلفة من فصائل كردية وعربية تدعمها واشنطن وكالة فرانس برس.

وتمكنت قوات سوريا الديموقراطية، وهي تحالف كردي عربي تدعمه الولايات المتحدة، هذا الاسبوع من السيطرة على نصف الرقة، بعد اقل من شهرين من دخول مقاتليها المدينة الواقعة في شمال سوريا.

وتواصل هذه القوات منذ ثمانية اشهر حملتها للسيطرة على مدينة الرقة التي دخلتها في 6 حزيران/يونيو
Google Translation:
By Nidal al-Mughrabi GAZA (Reuters) - Islamic state elements have stepped up their operations to repel attacks by Syria's democratic forces and increasingly tighten their grip on thinness, fighters from the Kurdish and Arab factions backed by Washington said.

The Syrian Democratic Forces, a US-backed Arab Kurd alliance, this week managed to control half of the tenderness, less than two months after its fighters entered the northern Syrian city.

For eight months, they have continued their campaign to take control of the city of Raqqa, which they entered on June 6

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Updates:

صعد عناصر تنظيم الدولة الاسلامية عملياتهم لصد الهجمات التي تشنها قوات سوريا الديموقراطية مع تضييق الخناق عليهم بشكل متزايد في الرقة، بحسب ما أفاد مقاتلون في القوات المؤلفة من فصائل كردية وعربية تدعمها واشنطن وكالة فرانس برس.

وتمكنت قوات سوريا الديموقراطية، وهي تحالف كردي عربي تدعمه الولايات المتحدة، هذا الاسبوع من السيطرة على نصف الرقة، بعد اقل من شهرين من دخول مقاتليها المدينة الواقعة في شمال سوريا.

وتواصل هذه القوات منذ ثمانية اشهر حملتها للسيطرة على مدينة الرقة التي دخلتها في 6 حزيران/يونيو
Google Translation:
By Nidal al-Mughrabi GAZA (Reuters) - Islamic state elements have stepped up their operations to repel attacks by Syria's democratic forces and increasingly tighten their grip on thinness, fighters from the Kurdish and Arab factions backed by Washington said.

The Syrian Democratic Forces, a US-backed Arab Kurd alliance, this week managed to control half of the tenderness, less than two months after its fighters entered the northern Syrian city.

For eight months, they have continued their campaign to take control of the city of Raqqa, which they entered on June 6

posted on Jul, 31 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

err, #, I did not realize that was a double post. Whoops! Anyways in the spirit of open documentary of World War 3:Raqqa Front, the enemy has released a thirty minute video of some of their actions there. One thing I do notice is a distinction between their official media releases, and some of their glorified Hollywood executions presented by the Mossad. Leads me to believe there are actually two different groups of ISIS, but whatever.
ISIS releases 30-min propaganda video on fighting Kurdish-led forces in Raqqa.

Everything posted from any side of this ongoing war is strictly war Documentary, news, educational purposes and is not mean to be entertainment or glorifying war, and neither does it necessarily represent the opinions, beliefs, or views of the poster. Viewer discretion is advised.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

@SyriacMFS
As for August 1, new map indicates rapid progress of Syrian Democratic Forces in #Raqqa liberation battle against ISIS. #MFS @CENTCOM #Syria
High Resolution view

Contrary to rumors, the SDF have not closed the gap completely between the two districts highlighted due to stiff resistance from IS. But only less than a half mile separates them, so they should gain full control sometime this week.

“We are nearly in full control, but there are still some Daesh [IS] pockets inside,” said SDF spokesman Muhammad Bali.
On Tuesday, the SDF was still engaged in “fierce” battles with IS fighters in Nazlat Shahadah and the nearby Panorama circle and Edkhar military housing areas, he said.
Bali denied reports in the Arabic media on Tuesday that SDF forces had fully captured Nazlat Shahadah and joined fronts with their fellow fighters in the Hisham bin Abdulmalik district to the east. SDF fighters have been “delayed” by IS defenses, the official said.
IS “has a wide array of defenses,” said Bali. “Human shields, tunnels, explosives…these facts on the ground influence the course of military operations.”

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Been having too much fun visiting beaches and paint-balling and trolling peeps spying on me lately. Lets put some updates down now that I am relaxing.

The following map shows Syria's gains have just about reached the Euphrates. This can help them get a jump start towards Der Azawr.

According to the Tiger Forces’ official page, the Syrian Arab Army liberated the villages of Al-Dakhilah, Bir Al-Sabkhawi, and Al-Sabkhawi in Al-Raqqa’s southeastern countryside today.

With these villages liberated, the Syrian Arab Army is now withing reach of the Euphrates River and the Deir Ezzor provincial border with the Al-Raqqa Governorate.

The SDF Kurdish forces are making new gains after a temporary hiatus for restocking.

Kurdish forces resume Raqqa operation, capture new neighborhood from ISIS.

It looks to me like Syria is trying to "bottle up" the Kurds, to head off any plans of them advancing further south. It might work, too. Syria and the Kurds seem to mostly avoid fighting each other.

In southern Syria, I've heard reports that the formerly-US-supported rebel groups are unhappy, and are refusing to return US weapons. I expect that the US will abandon its base down there pretty soon. Nobody seriously believes that they're using that base to fight ISIS, do they?

ETA: I just saw a report that, for the second time this week, a group of rebels from the southern desert area has defected to the SAA. Looks like that front is collapsing.
edit on 1-8-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
For sure they are losing the support of the people they stopped arming. I still question the timeline for withdrawal of that zone of control. I speculate that they are just staying there to impede efforts of Iran for an easy land route towards Syria. Obviously this would be to Israel's advantage, but for how long they can pull it off who can say.

I did read a recent article of a US commander saying we are one bad day away from being booted from Syria using the legal means at the UN, since there is no technical legal justification for their presence down there.

posted on Aug, 4 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
More guys shooting at each other from blown out buildings. Devastation all around.

Afarin Mamosta‏ @AfarinMamosta 16h16 hours ago

SDF clashing with ISIS terrorists in Raqqa city.

Rooftop shooting

Published on Aug 3, 2017

Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) drove back a counter attack from the so-called Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) in Raqqa, Friday. IS had made gains throughout the city after pushing back against the advancing SDF and coalition forces on Thursday.

Kurdish journalist was filming this incoming VBIED when somebody shot at him. He took cover and then the attacker detonated the vehicle outside. By the looks of it, some of the guys there got hurt.

Video of IS SVBIED attack on SDF / YPG position in Raqqa filmed by K24 TV

and then Last week's news and images from Raqqa city | August 2nd 2017 | Syria

posted on Nov, 3 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just an updated situation in Raqqa as well as some archive footage. They continue to find bodies buried under the rubble as they slowly get the city cleaned up and rebuilt. An extreme shortage of equipment is impeding a hasty recovery for the city though.

Back in February ABC Australia #4corners did a tour in Raqqa. Its quite ruined, an the people seem deeply depressed from the events that occurred.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join