It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Lost atomic weapon possibly found

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
In February of 1950, a B-36 departed Alaska on a return mission to Texas. As part of the mission they were to simulate nuclear attacks on US cities, including San Francisco. A few hours after departure, three of the aircraft's engines caught fire. The crew set the autopilot to fly out over the Pacific, and jettisoned the Mk IV atomic bomb they were carrying. The bomb had a lead core instead of plutonium.

That's when things get weird. Two days later, 12 of the 17 crew were rescued. The wreckage of the aircraft was eventually found, and the important pieces recovered, from the side of a mountain near British Columbia.

A diver, looking for fish, recently found what he described as a ufo, that matches the description of the Mk IV device. The Canadian Navy will be sending a ship in the coming weeks to investigate and possibly recover the device. The area it was found in is approximately 50 miles from the crash site.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Hell of a thing to find on a dive, sure to get the heart rare up!a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Wonder if they will ever find the ones in Florida or North Carolina?
I think those had the nuclear material in them.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The North Carolina one probably not. Florida, maybe.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Would a dummy bomb be complete except for the core? Meaning, would all of the other components that make up the bomb like mechanisms and electronics, be present?
edit on 7-11-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That would be so cool finding a nuke.

I bet this guy was banging on it too.

lol!!

I found a what?!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Do any of you think that this could in some way be connected to the "pinging" noise in the area that was investigated by the military? I know it's a bit far off but.. www.bbc.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

It wouldn't have the explosives or the core, but it was a live bomb in every other way.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Wonder if they will ever find the ones in Florida or North Carolina?
I think those had the nuclear material in them.

Yea they did have and no i don't think they have been found yet.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Do any of you think that this could in some way be connected to the "pinging" noise in the area that was investigated by the military? I know it's a bit far off but.. www.bbc.com...

nope too long ago the pinger batts would be long dead.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

That is very scary if someone had the other parts but did not know how to assemble them.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Bluntone22

The North Carolina one probably not. Florida, maybe.

been worried about those for years

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

A diver, looking for fish, recently found what he described as a ufo, that matches the description of the Mk IV device.

The bomb that was jettisoned was reported to have exploded....

www.air-and-space.com...-92075

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

a reply to: charlyv

It wouldn't have the explosives or the core, but it was a live bomb in every other way.

So, technically not an atomic bomb, but just the housing for it? I'm only asking for clarification because of the wording that makes it sound like "OLD, LIVE NUKE FOUND!!!" Not a nuke, just a look-alike?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Kind of heavy to be hauling home and put into your bar or Rec room I suppose. They should give a reward for people turning those things in. A case of beer or free dinner at a restaurant would be nice.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

All it would take is the core and explosives to make it live. It was an atomic weapon, to be used in event of a war. They had to carry the real thing to get the systems to work for realistic training for the crew.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Official documents also say there was no nuclear material on board, but there was evidence that there was after the crash site was located.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I watched a docu on this just a couple of months ago. Some guys went to the original crash site to do some investigating.

It was said that the US Army sent a team to recover what they could and blow up the wreck. Rather controversial.

That the officer in charge of arming the bomb by inserting the core, did not bail, but actually stayed with the plane. Something to do with where it crashed, instead of where it should have gone.

And a few other strange things about the whole case.

It was very interesting to watch.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Yeah, he was a small plane pilot. The speculation was that there was a core on board and he was attempting to land the aircraft somewhere and protect the core.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hermit777

originally posted by: Tjoran

nope too long ago the pinger batts would be long dead.

I doubt that this bomb from 1950 would have had any type of so called "black box" detection/location electronics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join