It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I threw my vote away, and here's why.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: imjack

This cycle more than any other, the third parties could have mounted a serious challenge.

I would have voted libertarian, but they didn't nominate a ticket with actual libertarians on it. The only thing libertarian about Johnson/Weld was a desire to legalize pot, and that's my least favorite part of libertarianism -- the legalizing of vices.

But a true libertarian like one of the Pauls might have had a shot to mount a real effort at the presidency, not just 4 or 5% performance.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ah, OK. That actually made some sense.

...and I'm not sure what to make of that.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
My home state is DEEP RED, but because I have spent over 180 days at "here" this year for health reasons, this is where I am registered to vote. "Here" is DEEP BLUE. Like, two positions on the ballot have a Democrat, Green Party and two loons only...no republican even bothered. It is big change for me.

But I am still going to vote because there are other issues on the ballot. I dont think a ballot is ever wasted.

My mother voted Democrat in every election in her life, and my father did the same for the Republicans. They always travelled to the polling station together and they never considered that their votes cancelled each other out. That was never a consideration.

I dont think you can waste a vote.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

You didnt waste it. You helped Hillary.

Throwing your vote away would be NOT voting.

You validated the system.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

I considered voting for Nader as well but didn't have the cojones then that I do now.

Well, you still have your dream accomplished if the goal was to see more than two parties for the next election if Johnson got 6%. A federally funded Libertarian Party that can attract higher-quality candidates in 2020.
edit on 7-11-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Actually, your vote is potentially very valuable- along with all the other independent votes & voters.
If those third party candidates, like Jill Stein, manage to garner just 5% of the vote, they will be eligible for federal campaign funds. Next election could be a 3-way race (even though the independents will only be running while the donkeys and elephants take cars and planes).

ganjoa

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

One can hope!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

...how so?

He didn't vote for Clinton, he voted for Stein. Not his fault no one else, or not enough anyway, did.

That argument just doesn't exist. If your guy loses tomorrow, maybe you should have got a better candidate? God knows you shouldn't have to look too far. The same holds true if she loses tomorrow...get a better candidate. Stop trying to foist off blame onto those of us who choose to look elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I have nothing against the system (democracy). I do have something against those who have manipulated and hijacked the system.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That argument just doesn't exist. If your guy loses tomorrow, maybe you should have got a better candidate? God knows you shouldn't have to look too far. The same holds true if she loses tomorrow...get a better candidate. Stop trying to foist off blame onto those of us who choose to look elsewhere.

How in the world were these two the best each party could offer? Crazy! I'm not buying what they're selling.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

How in the world were these two the best each party could offer? Crazy! I'm not buying what they're selling.

Whichever party loses needs to do some serious reflection on how they pick their Candidates.

"You lost to WHO? That is the best *that* Party could do, and you still couldn't beat them?"

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Nor should you buy it. I'm not.

I'm hoping at least two or (dreaming here) three of the independent parties reach the magic 5% number tomorrow. That might, just might, result in some changes happening, or starting to anyway...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Nor should you buy it. I'm not.

I'm hoping at least two or (dreaming here) three of the independent parties reach the magic 5% number tomorrow. That might, just might, result in some changes happening, or starting to anyway...

Good for you! Change has to happen somewhere.. and the time is now.

Here's hoping my/our kids (who deserve better than this!) are able to exercise their civic duty with pride.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Voted for Gary. Hoping he gets to the 5%.
Don't agree on a couple of things with him.
But, he's still a more agreeable candidate then the others.

To me this election is already worthless, need to look forward to the next.
But, unless things get changed between now and then we'll be right back in the same
situation as we are now. You might think it can't get any worse, just wait. I sure the
repubs and the dems can pull bigger, stinkier turds out of their a$$es for us to pick over.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ishum

Thing is that I am not content voting for a party just on the off chance hope they might garner a small percentage to receive funding to other cycles, not this time.

If that's what they want, the need to show me serious candidates who are ready for primetime now, not later on when they get that money.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

In my opinion, (so take it with a grain of salt) the only primetime Donald is ready for is on that cruddy show, The Apprentice. I can't stand to watch him even on there.

And Hilary might be better off doing time.

I'll take a vote for our future over either of these clowns

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I don't think you threw your vote away.

I am truly struggling with what to do tomorrow. Yes, I could have early voted but, preferred to prolong the inevitable and even considered, briefly, not voting at all.

'On the fence' would be a understatement. I've discussed the election with, perhaps, 50 or so people and every, single one of them is voting Trump (or so they claim). When I ask why...they respond with 'we want change'.

I get it but, I can't in good conscious, for me, just vote for who I feel is 'opposite' of Hillary or the current administration just because they are different. That doesn't make sense to me.

My children have watched me for a long time reading everything I can on all of the candidates, including write ins, and I am still undecided. I, sort of, hope that I'll go to sleep and have some sort of revelation during the night and wake up and magically have my decision and go and cast my ballot. Who on earth canor will I possibly feel so strongly about to push that little button beside their name?

Even though, in my state, my vote doesn't matter. The 'act' itself is important, IMO.
My youngest daughter (16) said to me tonight, 'geez mom you are really stressing this'.

'You bet I am, it's America's future and yours'. She then made the statement that she was excited that the next presidential election she would be old enough to vote. She is, unlike my oldest, excited and looking forward to that day.

Anyway, good on you for coming to a decision and standing by it. I hope that tomorrow I can stand there with the same conviction.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

In my opinion, (so take it with a grain of salt) the only primetime Donald is ready for is on that cruddy show, The Apprentice. I can't stand to watch him even on there.

And Hilary might be better off doing time.

I'll take a vote for our future over either of these clowns

In that respect, I defaulted to policy. I like Donald's better, and I like the people he has surrounding him.

He's uncouth, but I haven't seen compelling evidence yet that he has already sold out the US.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

It's sad when we see the democratic ideals that our kids are truly excited about are good to the core.. and compare them with the reality we face.

I do wish you luck tomorrow. I'm sure you'll do the best with what you've got.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I'll add that I really do (mostly) ascribe to the Green Party platform, and think Stein would do a fine job as figurehead (the Executive Branch is effectively held in check by the other two, our infrastructure is strong, we have an innovative and educated populace).

But, as I wrote before, I believe in democracy, in critical and variegated opinions, which means that many won't agree with my choices and vice-versa. I support your right to choose as best as you see fit!
edit on 7-11-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join