It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The occurrence of Ego in the human subject and how to overcome it.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: muzzleflash

How can you say something doesn't exist because you don't believe in it?

Enlightenment does exist. Who are you to tell me differently?

You can't find what you don't believe in. It is about faith. Believe what you want, but I will choose to believe in and stay In the Light, enlightened.

My experience is at least as real as yours.

The ego projects itself to others. This is not inherently good or bad. It's only bad when what is unpleasant to hear is destructive. When unpleasant words are necessary they are constructive.

Are you being constructive or destructive? You sound destructive. Maybe if you include your reasoning for being so you could be seen as being constructive.

I didn't say something doesn't exist because I didn't believe in it. You're making an assumption.

I didn't say enlightenment doesn't exist, I attempted to explain you cannot overcome ego because ego is a critical pillar of your self.

I also suggested that getting lost in an attempt to erase your ego leads to egomania as "me, myself, and I" become exaggerated by the express denial of it's existence.

You have to accept and embrace ego and recognize it's inherent limitations and weaknesses in order to find humility. By pretending you can eradicate all vestiges of ego while alive you essentially become arrogant and snobbish.

You can find Light only when within the Darkness after all. By assuming you are surrounded by Light, in the Light, while stating you are seeking the Light; is contradictory and meaningless. If you are in Light than by definition you have already found it, and are surrounded by Darkness.

The Yin Yang is not just Light, it is also composed of Dark.

You see, Destruction is not bad in itself. It is necessary for Construction to exist. When the Winter comes it destroys most life, because this is how things must be. When Spring comes life arises anew.

If we did not have Winter, than life on Earth probably could not sustain. It would overwhelm and choke the limited resources, there would be no fertilizer, etc.

Who am I to tell you differently?
I am Muzzleflash.

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Ok, Ok, so I was wrong in labelling it 'ego'
I agree completely thanks

edit on 1-12-2016 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

You are Wrong. The human mind is capable of sailing past the barrier of physical Death using metaphysical shortcuts before we physically die... However, in this thread I wasn't talking about 'escaping' subjectivity as such because, while I do consider it possible all my work and theory is, basically, logical guesswork. But this isnt the thread for that, I wrote one called the tale of dr Light which I plan on revisting sometime soon which deals with that topic. In this thread, however, I merely attempt to describe how to overcome negative subjectivity, in the same manner as one who is brave 'overcomes' their fear: the fear itself never leaves, and is in fact the only reason bravery is possible. One who is afraid has a decision to cower and buckle, or stand and fight... I am positing that our own subjective experience is the same way... like with fear, most people start out in negative, at least in some fashion... whether its greed or violence or ignorance... and, most people dont like greed violence or ignorance... therefore, if most people are wanting to, but unable to overcome themselves, they need to be able to turn to their peers and brethren... which is at the very heart of my OP, alongside overcoming cultural barriers which in itself will allow people to be more unified. Please reread the OP in this new light and see if i dont make sense?

posted on Dec, 1 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
strikes me as just a lil ironic to talk about chasing perfection by abandoning ego. it has always seemed in my mind that the desire for perfection is a symptom of ego, requiring an acute awareness of self in order to really appreciate that perfection. without an intrinsic reference point, there is no telling what perfection is or how to reach it.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Like i said earlier mate, ego is the wrong word. And again, Nowhere have i said to abandon ego, or get rif of it... but to turn it from self serving and wicked into something good and pure.
a reply to: TzarChasm

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

you overcome your ego by becoming aware of your ego or that negative voice in your head that tells you to beat yourself up.

once you are aware of it, when ever it acts up, you give yourself love by simply saying i love you to yourself, and release the negative feeling using breath on the exhale.

quite simply you are practicing non attachment to anything and non judgement.

it takes about 10 years to cleanse the ego if you work on it regularly every day.

once aware and you begin cleansing the ego by the above method, it will act up for the first 6 months and you will feel like you are going crazy. cuz you havent yet made the choice to do it or not. translation if you got one foot in and one foot out of the door until you make a choice, you are pulled in 2 directions.

at this point you will choose to cleanse the ego, or not and go on automatic where the ego controls you again.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   

The Yin Yang is not just Light, it is also composed of Dark.

You see, Destruction is not bad in itself. It is necessary for Construction to exist. When the Winter comes it destroys most life, because this is how things must be. When Spring comes life arises anew.

If we did not have Winter, than life on Earth probably could not sustain. It would overwhelm and choke the limited resources, there would be no fertilizer, etc.

Who am I to tell you differently?
I am Muzzleflash.

That's not true for the tropical and equatorial regions of the world where vegetation is not lost during the winter. Also these are the areas most abundant and diverse in life - rainforests and coral reefs in particular.

So without winter life actually seems to exist in far more variety and abundance.

edit to add: However destruction IS still an essential part of these systems too - forest fire, flooding, landslides in the forests and major storms for the reefs.
edit on 4-12-2016 by johnb because: as above

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This moment must be destroyed before the next moment can be created - destruction and creation are happening eternally.
But there is 'something' that never comes or goes - now never comes or goes.
You are now - you are not the body or mind because they are constantly changing - each cell that the body consists of is in constant change.
The ever present now space is what you really are. The person that appears to live in time is the ego - no one can live in time - because now is all there is.

posted on Dec, 4 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
Like i said earlier mate, ego is the wrong word. And again, Nowhere have i said to abandon ego, or get rif of it... but to turn it from self serving and wicked into something good and pure.

There is no rest for the wicked! The 'wick' is the self centre.
Is there really a separate self?

Thought implies that there is a 'thinker' - the assumption is that you think - but what if there was no 'you' thinking? What if there is just thought?

edit on 4-12-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
If "Ego" means "Sense of Self", then Ego is not an enemy (unless you don't Love Yourself).

If you were made in the Image and Likeness of God, then Ego/Sense of Self is a beautiful thing!

Gratitude for Life (Self/Others) can make Life so much more enjoyable.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join