It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Hypersonic Flight Is Coming: Will the US Lead the Way?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well it looks like the Engines will be the British built " Sabre "

www.space.com...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

For a commercial spaceplane. The engines used by the current hypersonic platforms are much more advanced and capable and make SABRE look like its designed and built for a kids fare.

No offense to the UK they havevawesome stuff but in this instance the american hypersonic turbines are light years ahead of the SABRE and they do so much more revolutionary stuff than just speed.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

The project is a joint venture between AFRL and Reaction Engines.

www.theengineer.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

No i get you. SABRE is awesome. But its bupkis compared to what we do have already operational in the american inventory.. Lockheeds got sone cool stuff you may want to look into.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Good, let's spread all that free tax payer money all over the globe.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

edit on 7-11-2016 by sqd5driver because: Still getting the hang of this board. Apologies.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: sqd5driver

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: sqd5driver

Satellites are not always a 100% surefire method to get eyes on a given area in a timely manner.

Networks of satellites are. One is almost always overhead. Drone technology fills the gaps.

ALMOST. That's never going to be good enough in this business. Intelligence gathering is based on speed and precision. The other guy rarely ever works on our timeline and sophisticated nations know where our satellites are just as accurately as we do. Hiding sensitive items/actions from satellites is as old as the hills.

Also, satellites, being a man-made, are not infallible and 100% reliable 100% of the time. Stuff breaks. Weather can impede our view. Having a means to get eyes on quickly with rapid turnaround is a nice safety net for when that satellite running on a schedule as predictable as a municipal bus service doesn't pan out.

I agree that satellites are a key to our ISR capability, but if we are serious about maintaining our advantage, fast planes are a must.

I mentioned drones? And (forward observers) on the ground. They have this instant commo thing called a radio... with satellite links, too.

I saw that you mentioned drones. Again, assuming anything will work when needed is just bad policy. So you're saying they're preferred because they have radios? Not trying to be a contrarian here, but you DO realize that radios, and comms of all sorts in general, are easily countered. Relying on drones with radios still doesn't allow the flexibility that a fast, manned platform gives us.

There's a place for drones. There is a place for fast missiles, as you say. But we NEED a faster, manned platform from which to operate. It offers options that drone swarms and missiles simple cannot right now. That said, sure, keep aiming for that kind of technology and ability. It would only increase our options that much more.

The idea that we shouldn't do one thing or another because it's an old idea is not so forward thinking. I mean, we still deploy thousands and thousands of personnel with weapons that operate based on ideas that are hundreds of years old. Should we stay home and keep the bullets in warehouses because DE weapons are a better idea or do we keep up with proven ideas and work on new things in the periphery at the same time?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: sqd5driver

Intel is from many sources in a combined network, all of which make the use of some newfangled hypersonic space plane obsolete and useless.

Edit: But I also get the need for Mo' money for 'defense'.
edit on 7-11-2016 by intrptr because: Edit:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Question for anyone in the know...

In military jets that have high speed and altitude capabilities, the pilots wear what looks like stripped down spacesuits.

In the travel industry, if you had a supersonic/hypersonic plane that was on the edge of space, how would you deal with supplying oxygen to the passengers?

Could you just pump it into the cabin? But in that case, would the cabin have to be pressurized? And if so... how would that work on ascent and descent?

Maybe these are issues that have already worked themselves out but its beyond my reach.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

It's just standard pressurization, like with any aircraft. They pressurize the cabin to a lower altitude. Military pilots wear the suit in case they lose pressurization. A U-2 can't make a rapid descent to get to a safer altitude without splitting apart.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

n military jets that have high speed and altitude capabilities, the pilots wear what looks like stripped down spacesuits.

In fact they wore pressurized suits (like spacesuits) in the SR71. I remember reading that during flight if they were to touch the inside of the cockpit screen, they're glove would stick, it was that hot. The surface of the plane was annealed in flight, rising to a temperature of 600 degrees or so. Long ago read this in an AV mag, recounting from memory.

Heres some reads and video--

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

For a commercial spaceplane. The engines used by the current hypersonic platforms are much more advanced and capable and make SABRE look like its designed and built for a kids fare.

No offense to the UK they havevawesome stuff but in this instance the american hypersonic turbines are light years ahead of the SABRE and they do so much more revolutionary stuff than just speed.

Is it possible that the proposed H-MAGJET engine from SonicBlue Aerospace is a white version of something already operational?
This company involvement with this design dates several years back and recently was present in NBAA with its sister Hypermach Aerospace updating the project Hyperstar of a hypersonic business jet :Hypermach
If this project is for real then one must conclude the military already have the capability or it will never happen.
On the other side it could well be a variation of the Trijet engine from Rocketdyne with some plasma magic.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

DARPA just funded Lockheed and Raytheon for HAWC (Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapon Concept) for tech risk reduction.

I suspect the idea here is we build stealthy aircraft where we can sneak up and then unleash hypersonic weapons that reduce the potential reaction time of the enemies.

www.janes.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I suspect the idea here is we build stealthy aircraft where we can sneak up and then unleash hypersonic weapons that reduce the potential reaction time of the enemies.

I see. Hypersonic engines being not very stealthy.

Scuds dropped from the sky over Riyadh and Israel at mach 6, even German V2s were hypersonic. Anything beginning its attack at extreme elevation that is that fast would light up enemy radars. I would begin my attack with lo and slo terrain avoiding SLCMs. Russia used those in their initial phase to enter the war against terrorism in Syria. They were also multiple mach and didn't disturb any NATO radars. Or if they did, nothing was done to stop them(?)

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

After WHAT this country did to the TSR you DESERVE that.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Au contrair mon frair (or whatever) you need to read up about hypersonic engines and platforms. This is 2016 not 1942. Alots changes since then.

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I always thought they would strap in an ungodly DEWs system and THERE goes kinetic warfare anyway...THAT would make a VERY desirable TRI sonic platform....and VSTOL/stealth just to piss off a great deal of people..

posted on Nov, 8 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Fastmover

It is real! They have had a couple stories up on Nextbigfuture.com about two different planned mach5/6-ish jets for commercial use. Hypermach is one of them and they are shooting for 2020-2025 time range for a prototype (unless I am confusing it with the other one). I think they laid low due to "funding" and the first release was about increased funding and their timelines.

An EM combined turbo jet engine is a great, techie lover's idea! The "The Technology" section on their website is a fun read. I was going to post some things but you beat me to it.

I am not expert or anything. Most of what I know is what I read there and NBF's site. Just knew an answer and had to share!

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Au contrair mon frair (or whatever) you need to read up about hypersonic engines and platforms. This is 2016 not 1942. Lots changes since then.

Including tracking and targeting. You're right this isn't U2 days or even SR71 days is it. Super hi or super hi n' fast is old tech, easily defeated, "nowadays".

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

She flys too high for most ground tracking. She flys too low for satellites....which are um...compromised you can say.

I agree with you. Our hypersonic tech may be older and much more established than the public knows.

And no .....no, no, no high n fast is NOT easy to hit. And some hypersonic platforms are harder to detect than you might think.

But youre right oh great generalissimo. I bow down to your thorough understanding of the subject matter...its so knowledgeable. 😕
edit on 9-11-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join