It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

women use f-word more than men

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Looks like the men in the 1990's men used the F word 1000 times in a 10 million words compared to 167 times for women.
That is so last century cause now in 2014 women use the word 546 times per million words and men use it 540 times.

My oh my, I'm a mechanic and that # seems like a before lunch #. I wish I was kidding. But I'm glad there are people whom don't swear like beat poetry when the hammer devastates the thumb. It's sort of an interesting read.

An academic study has discovered that women now use the F-word more in their daily lives than men.

The survey, which was conducted by Lancaster University and the Cambridge University Press, questioned 376 volunteers who submitted recordings of up to three hours of their daily conversations.

And after amassing around 10 million words researchers concluded that women have become champs of the swearing stakes.
Data from the 1990s suggested men used the F-word 1,000 times per million words and their female counterparts just 167.

However over the past two decades women's use of the F-word has increased by more than 500 per cent.

As of 2014 women use the word 546 times per million words whereas men use it 540 times.

Women are also ten times as likely as men to say ‘s***’, according to the new survey which was sponsored by the Economic and Social Research Council.
In the early 1990s they said 's***' four times more than men but now that figure has doubled.

Lead researcher with the Economic and Social Research Council Professor Tony McEnery said that foul mouthed men and equality between the sexes are some of the key reasons behind the stark rise in use of profanity by the fairer sex.

On the F-word McEnery said: 'It looks like there were a set of men who said it a lot in the Nineties, and they influenced the women to do it, and then it leveled down.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Women cuss more: it's men's fault.

Well, hell.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1

Women cuss more: it's men's fault.

Well, hell.

Your right.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

My girlfriend and her mates are total potty-mouth around each other, and they're bitter vindictive bitches too when any drama comes around, they are also asswipes on the piss and make total dicks out of themselves. Then they spend the next 2 days on Facebook feeling sorry for themselves then the weekend comes and the sillidiots do it all again?

I am standing in a glass house throwing stones as I type this!!!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Strewth

Duck, the rock is coming right at your head after it smashes your glass house. That's ok, have fun.

link   
I agree. I cuss a ton, but 98% of it is just in my head. I have three babies so I keep it in. Also agree, it's men's fault. The majority of my potty mouth is directed at my husband.

link   
Interesting fact, swearing helps to deal with intense pain.

Of course its not so much the word thats used, just a loud outburst, we just like to swear when we get the chance!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I'm female and I rarely swear... unless I'm incredibly angry/emotional. Uh oh. But that's really the only time obscenities fly from me.

In saying that though; one of the biggest swearers I know is a female, every second word practically. *shrug* It bothers me none.

Also, might I recommend for your amusement, the following thread:
The F-Bomb is Diffused

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

I'm female and I rarely swear... unless I'm incredibly angry/emotional. Uh oh. But that's really the only time obscenities fly from me. In saying that though; one of the biggest swearers I know is a female, every second word practically. *shrug* It bothers me none. Also, might I recommend for your amusement, the following thread: The F-Bomb is Diffused

We have a property investment co. I have bought trashed houses to repair and use, and this tend to get the best cussing out of me. Generally I watch my big yap around the young'ins/ But my son who is an early teen helps out in the houses and I explained the difference between work me and home me. I think he got it.
edit on 6-11-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   
One girl I know was SO offended at trumps statement about grabbing "p". This girl goes around telling everyone about the size of guys things she has dated, she also has cheated on her husband many times. Funny how perfect people have become all of a sudden,,,but hey its not like she put our country at risk or let peope die in Benghazi Libya.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: beeeyotch

Nice, I have a problem with all the coincidences. It stinks, and our Free Press isn't free they are bought and paid for.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
They fart more too.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Do I swear? of f^&$ing course I do, it's part of our language.
I like to call them emotive clue words, or emotional intensifiers. You have to admit, they do work rather effectively at conveying all manner of emotions in conversation when used in just the right spots and not overdone like a bad rap verse.

originally posted by: Lysergic
They fart more too.

Everybody's full of hot air to one degree or another!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Women may use the f word more than men generally, but they do not use it more than THIS man.

Although I have something of a reputation around here as a man of reading, a fellow of near Shakespearian delivery, and although even amongst my local compatriots, am somewhat anachronistic in my manner and speech, I curse vigorously and often, because this planet is a most vexing place upon which to live, and because my government is a particularly vexing one to coexist alongside.

Cursing itself is not so much the problem. It is rather more that cursing without valid reason is. No one would say that dropping a gearbox on ones foot is a bad reason to curse. It is, in fact, entirely legitimate. No one would say that having a Tory government in a nation whose majority are poor, and which contains millions of people with less than one hundred pounds in the bank, is not a damned fine reason to turn the air blue. However, what galls me, is that many swear simply for the sake of it, and without any particular talent for it.

Personally speaking, I treat curse words the same way I do the rest of the language to which I am accustomed, in that there is art in all things, and therefore in all things there must be some art.

I mean for ***** sake, just because it is real, does not mean it must be ugly!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Your words are poetry, and I find some use the F word like a noun, adjective and proper name.

I use all forms of swearing when working with machinery and carpentry/home maintenance. But I don't use it around the kiddies. They are too young to know about the f@ck!n furnace that refuses to heat the house....

join