It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

First job for POTUS #45: What's going to be done about Duterte?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The Philippines President has rarely been out of the news recently, what with cursing various foreign leaders in colourful terms, and launching a massacre of drug-dealers (nearly 4,000 at the time of writing this).

This is the sort of thing that normally sparks talk about 'Something Must Be Done', but it hasn't happened yet. All that might be about to change.

He's escaped serious attention so far due to the US election season, but now he's making cosy with China.

If he goes ahead with this, it's going to cause some serious problems for the US. And so it's a fair bet that he will be stopped from doing so. The question, therefore, is how to go about stopping him.

Speculate here, and hopefully use this thread to keep track of cryptocratic undercurrents in this developing debacle.

edit on 6-11-2016 by audubon because: typo fix

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Why would anything need to be done about him?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Did you read the articles I linked?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: audubon
Why not leave him alone and let him try to do his job whatever his agenda is? In the end, he is only accountable to his countrymen not to the great U.S. of A.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I think his newfound friendliness with the Chinese will come back to bite him. It really seems a long term plan of what we used to call Colonialism, only an Asian blend. By then it will be too late to expel the influence.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Yes.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
We butt out and mind our own business.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
(duplicate post deletion)
edit on 6-11-2016 by audubon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
Why not leave him alone and let him try to do his job whatever his agenda is? In the end, he is only accountable to his countrymen not to the great U.S. of A.

I'm not urging that anything be done about him. I'm observing that Duterte is becoming a real problem in US Foreign Policy terms, and that history shows that foreign leaders who do that tend to come unstuck sooner rather than later, by one means or another.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I agree. This is just my take, if Hillary wins Duterte will have a harder time in office, not that I'm rooting for Trump to win. It's not for us to decide.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This has convinced me that we should bomb them and just get it over with

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

This has convinced me that we should bomb them and just get it over with

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Stop him from what?!?!?!

WHY THE # IS IT THE USA buisness!?!?!?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   

IDK start a big snipping world war with China and Russia stepping in to back Phillipines, that'll help keep Hillarys arms pals in business.

Honestly stop trying to police the world. If another country want to execute drug dealers be glad you don't live there. It doesn't effect you. Even with Deranged Duterte dissing Obama - it means nothing, who the snip cares.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

dude we are American's we were placed here on earth to save the world, freedom is the only way

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
America should clean up its own mess at home instead of meddling in other countries affairs.
And its got a hell of a big mess to clean up .

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Not our problem. Let Philippines handle their own affairs. Let him reap what he sows.

I hate American interventionist foreign policy. Its done nothing but cause problems.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Why do anything about him? They elected him. Let them have him.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You know who's business this isn't?

Anyone's but the Filipinos. Has the leader of the Philippines declared war on the states surrounding it? No. If it did? Their job to fix, no one else's.

The President of the United States, whichever psychotic, worm ridden cuss it happens to be, will have a great plethora of things to solve at home, many of those things being problems they have more to do with the cause of, than the solution to.

Ergo, what the Filipino top man does is no ones concern at this stage, other than the concern of the people there. His local approval ratings are somewhat greater than any American presidential candidate will EVER get in office, especially either of the sorry, misbegotten beasts who are running this time around, so my thinking is that America should pay attention to the mess it's making of itself, before getting uppity about yet another regime change issue.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

You know who's business this isn't?

Anyone's but the Filipinos. Has the leader of the Philippines declared war on the states surrounding it? No. If it did? Their job to fix, no one else's.

I agree. Duterte is not a problem that America should address and I don't think that the US govt is taking that position nor will they.

Duterte, despite, his very high popularity numbers that brought him into office is not an effective president for the Philippine Republic. In fact he is fast becoming the country's biggest threat to its constitution and an even greater threat to its economy.

I am not a believer in the US's colonialist policies at all, but the fact is that Philippines is married to the US through its history and it is dependent on the US for its economy. Period.

1/3 of the money coming into PH is through US business and through the 2.5 million Filipinos that live in the US supporting their families back home.
And they do support them in great numbers.

Duterte's election is a product of equal parts fear mongering, national pride, and lack of education.
Sure he is tough on drugs. At the cost of the rights guaranteed by his country's constitution...
Sure he is proud if his country and people and heritage (he is of Chinese descent). At the cost of breeding xenophobic ideas that the evil westerners are their problem...
The majority of Filipinos are very poor and must trade off education to work just to survive.

It is up to the very capable Filipinos to dump this guy and I believe they will.
Being an American who lives in PH I can only tell you what I have seen first hand and what real Filipinos are saying. And the real Filipinos I know and socialize with have said that the people will eventually reject Duterte as they have already begun to.
Many believe we wikk see him step aside.

Just my thoughts.

Again, US does not need to do anything here.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join