It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Clickbait Election - How Teens In The Balkans Are Duping Trump Supporters With Fake News

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Disclaimer - I'm British and am an outside observer, I have no dog in the US election fight and would not - if I had the choice - vote for either Trump or Clinton

Interesting article here that raises an interesting question - how much of what people are reading is true?

“This is the news of the millennium!” said the story on WorldPoliticus.com. Citing unnamed FBI sources, it claimed Hillary Clinton will be indicted in 2017 for crimes related to her email scandal.
“Your Prayers Have Been Answered,” declared the headline.
For Trump supporters, that certainly seemed to be the case. They helped the baseless story generate over 140,000 shares, reactions, and comments on Facebook.
Meanwhile, roughly 6,000 miles away in a small town in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, a young man watched as money began trickling into his Google AdSense account.

One of the most prevalent things about this election cycle has been the complete and utter ...detritus... that has been put out about both candidates, be it positive or negative.

And while some people can read through the BS, certain sycophants an those with lesser abilities to filter (and - it has to be said, more ignorance and less intelligence) simply lap up this kind of thing as gospel because its on the internet on a site that they think looks reputable.

Over the past year, the Macedonian town of Veles (population 45,000) has experienced a digital gold rush as locals launched at least 140 US politics websites. These sites have American-sounding domain names such as WorldPoliticus.com, TrumpVision365.com, USConservativeToday.com, DonaldTrumpNews.co, and USADailyPolitics.com. They almost all publish aggressively pro-Trump content aimed at conservatives and Trump supporters in the US.

The young Macedonians who run these sites say they don’t care about Donald Trump. They are responding to straightforward economic incentives: As Facebook regularly reveals in earnings reports, a US Facebook user is worth about four times a user outside the US.

While the article covers Trump, the same can definitely be said of Clinton, and again there are a number of sites out there that re pandering to the masses, making things up and just posting to get your attention, so that they can make money off advertising.

This truly has turned into a Clickbait Election, and the propaganda techniques being used are honed in business strategies and social media campaigns that are extremely sophisticated.

Take, for example a poll. Post one that shows Trump is miles ahead and his supporters will flock to it, quote it and try and use it in their day to day partisan efforts against the other party.

Post one that shows Clinton is miles ahead and her people will do the same.

And while paid impressions and click rates are poor in the USA, outside they are reasonable, and with a captive audience that rabidly wants to pander to being "on message" election propaganda is as addictive as crack coc aine - its a guaranteed income stream.

“Yes, the info in the blogs is bad, false, and misleading but the rationale is that ‘if it gets the people to click on it and engage, then use it,’” said a university student in Veles who started a US politics site, and who agreed to speak on the condition that BuzzFeed News not use his name.

So, how much of what you think you know is real and how much is made up?

And how much "mainstream" is reliable? It may come as news (pun intended) to some people from either side of the political divide but CNN and Brietbart certainly aren't going to give you balanced views or - more importantly policy information that can help you make an informed choice to avoid voting one way "because I/myfamily/my town/this state has always done it like that"

Two days before the election, maybe its time for a reality check and some careful thought. If all you read is junk, all you are going to know is junk.

And right now, there is an awful lot of junk out there....

Full article can be found here;
How Teens In The Balkans Are Duping Trump Supporters With Fake News

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 6/11/16 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Good for them , just gullibility gold.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Profiting off of telling people what they want to hear about their stooge of choice. Strangely that's exactly what the candidates themselves do as well. I'm not sure what else to say about all of it. It's a complete mess.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Two days before the election, maybe its time for a reality check and some careful thought. If all you read is junk, all you are going to know is junk.

10 years on ATS and hanging on to the tatters of naive optimism?

Would we all be in this mess if the electorate on all sides was better informed? Most of us couldn't find Macedonia on a blank map and here they are influencing the voting debates.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
10 years on ATS and hanging on to the tatters of naive optimism?

I know. Its a fools errand. Even the wise people of ATS have fallen victim to a lot of the propaganda and BS.

But hope springs eternal, right?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The POTUS addressed it about a month ago. I really don't agree with him here:

“There has to be, I think, some sort of way in which we can sort through information that passes some basic truthiness tests and those that we have to discard because they just don’t have any basis in anything that’s actually happening in the world,” he said

www.breitbart.com...

As consumers of information we are going to have to do a better job from where we obtain our sources. Luckily especially here there are still folks ready to scrutinize the source very thoroughly.

To this day, I still know people who have tried to "bless" me with their political knowledge that has be obviously sourced by a facebook meme

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

But hope springs eternal, right?

I think it does.

Let me go check Breitbart or CNN for my opinion

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

A perfect summation for this election and nearly half of the US electorate. Duped by a bunch of foreign teenagers.
edit on 11/6/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Huh, never heard of any of those sites.

I will say that if we had a press apparatus that was less partisan, just like if we had a Republican Party that was dedicated to the principles they run on, this election cycle would not have happened in so many ways.

But instead we have a press with no credibility anywhere. We have two candidates no one can stand. And we have the most intrapopulace animus possibly since the Civil War. We may even have an intragovernmental cold war carrying on at the moment over one of these candidates and the attempt to claim power.

These are slightly scary times for some citizens over here who are savvy enough to see what's taking place.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The scariest part of the article to me is how they are switching to health and wellness sites now that the political stuff is saturated and the election is winding down.
So, fake health info...

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   

more ignorance and less intelligence) simply lap up this kind of thing as gospel because its on the internet on a site that they think looks reputable.
I used to be that way with CNN or NBC and others but gave up on them . It's not a big deal now because even a broken clock can be correct . There is news that Clintons house maid was forwarded classified Emails to print out for her but the story comes from one of those big news sources inside the US .go figure eh

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Its quite ironic that this story came from buzzfeed, the internet queen of clickbait, I wonder if they are scared of the competition for add revenue

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It's not a big deal now because even a broken clock can be correct .

In other words, you would rather believe a known lie than a painful truth?

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've never heard of them either. However I still see the potential risk from things that I have personally engaged with - particularly on social media. It's my nature to nearly always fact check what I read. I'm so jaded at this point that I usually even do it with sources like the AP or Reuters as best I can... And it's absolutely mind numbing how often I come across stories that trace directly back to hack blogs or really, really questionable original sources.

Often just finding the original source gets complicated because articles will end up in this weird circle jerk of sourcing where maybe 5-6 different articles simply source to one another, in a chain, with no apparently original source seemingly extant.

It's operations like the ones from the OP that can really poison the well when their assertions go viral. All it takes is for somebody on a site like this or a high profile politics blog to repeat what they've read on a fake source and it ends up with some level of credibility and legs.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

“There has to be, I think, some sort of way in which we can sort through information that passes some basic truthiness tests and those that we have to discard because they just don’t have any basis in anything that’s actually happening in the world,” he said

Damn , if the words he speaks are true (and they never are) then we would have to discard nearly everything he has ever said
"You can keep your policy" - Lie
" You can keep your dovtor" ' Lie

It has already been proven to me those 2 are lies...

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I have a pool of 4 to 5 sources that I consider fairly reputable for more right leaning stuff. If it hits them, then I will give it an ear beyond "ah, that's nice." Obviously, if it hits the main press, but of course, these days you even have to be careful with them.

And I long ago stopped using my facebook for anything beyond the comment plug-in. So as far as stuff on social media ... eh. I don't see it very much.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I just wish nerf and heff were running. More sense coming from these two then any candidate.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Often just finding the original source gets complicated because articles will end up in this weird circle jerk of sourcing where maybe 5-6 different articles simply source to one another, in a chain, with no apparently original source seemingly extant.

That right there is a clue that the story is disinformation. Reliable media journalists will find three sources for any story they have not witnessed personally. If a story suddenly appears verbatim on multiple sites without citing sources, it is probably false.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

In other words, you would rather believe a known lie than a painful truth?
The truth is never painful to me .

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

This certainly supports the evidence that the human brain doesn't fully develop until the third decade of life. And 'thinking' comes after that. I don't know why I'm taken aback by the lack of morality and ethics. That usually kicks in much earlier.

Money trumps everything at this moment in time. I doubt if I will live long enough to see it change into real values. I'm beginning to doubt if our species is capable of it. Maybe the species is simply wired for greed, and nothing else matters.

edit on 11/6/2016 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join