It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Studio Ghibli

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Introduction

I love animated movies, the colors, the scenery, the emotions they capture but mostly the story behind it.. A studio i learned to love more than Disney is a called Studio Ghibli[1]. For me this became a Sunday matinee, a treasured one and the stories you remember that lasts a lifetime..

Studio Ghibli was officially formed in 1985. Before that time many of the writers, directors, producers and animators that would come to form Studio Ghibli worked together on several anime movies. These movies have much of the charm of Studio Ghibli features and are in many cases now also owned and distributed by Studio Ghibli. Despite their age these movies are of excellent quality, even by today’s high standards, and are by all means worth a watch.

Etymology

The name Ghibli was given by Hayao Miyazaki[2] with reference to the Caproni Ca.309 Ghibli. The Italian noun "ghibli" is based on the Libyan-Arabic name for the sirocco, or Mediterranean wind, the idea being the studio would "blow a new wind through the anime industry". Although the Italian word is pronounced with a hard ɡ, the Japanese pronunciation of the studio's name is with a soft g, [dʑíbu͍ɾi]

Movies

The studio is respected the world over for its lush animation, attention to detail, and the way its movies can soak its audiences in a mood without any effort at all — a trait many find lacking in most American cartoons. Ghibli’s stories take viewers of all ages seriously, never let commercial concerns get in the way of imagination, and more often than not incorporate female characters in a way that puts the rest of the film industry to shame, animated or live action.

Underneath is a documentary about Studio Ghibli

Here comes a ranking list from top to bottom if you are considering watching an episode tomorrow![3]

22. Tales from Earthsea (Dir. Goro Miyazaki, 2006)
21. Ocean Waves (Tomomoi Mochizuki, 1993)
20. The Secret World of Arrietty (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2010)
19. When Marnie Was There (Hiromasa Yonebayashi, 2014)
18. Howl’s Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki, 2004)
17. From Up on Poppy Hill (Goro Miyazaki, 2011)
16. Ponyo (Hayao Miyazaki, 2008)
15. Grave of the Fireflies (Isao Takahata, 1988)
14. The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013)
13. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki, 1984)
12. The Cat Returns (Hiroyuki Morita, 2002)
11. My Neighbors the Yamadas (Isao Takahata, 1999)
10. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
9. Only Yesterday (Isao Takahata, 1991)
8. Porco Rosso (Hayao Miyazaki, 1992)
7. Pom Poko (Isao Takahata, 1994)
6. Castle in the Sky (Hayao Miyazaki, 1986)
5. My Neighbor Totoro (Hayao Miyazaki, 1988)
4. Kiki’s Delivery Service (Hayao Miyazaki, 1989)
3. Whisper of the Heart (Yoshifumi Kondo, 1995)
2. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Isao Takahata, 2013)
1. Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki, 1997)

Source

[1]Studio Ghibli
[2]Hayao Miyazaki
[3]The Movies of Studio Ghibli

Thank you for reading!
edit on 2016115 by tikbalang because: image

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

I absolutely love Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Voyaging

I have seen
------------------

I must say, they all had me and my wife very captivated, and they were such fantastical movies, so derailed, so beautiful, and just downright wholesome....something very rare these days.

Thank you for this awesome post, i have not seen All of these and will now be looking to watch the others
edit on 5-11-2016 by neomaximus10 because: Wife reminded me the other ones we saw lol

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Your embedded video won't work (at least not for me)- it may be due to copyright?

I was able to find a Studio Ghibli documentary at DAILY MOTION LINK

Several of the movies on your list have been very enjoyable, in particular I liked Howl's Moving Castle. I plan on watching more of them, thanks for posting!

ADDED: Tales from Earthsea, WOW- I read "A Wizard of Earthsea" as a young child, given to me by the school librarian. I had no idea that there was an animated version of Ursula LeGuin's incredible universe! Can't wait to check it out!!!

edit on 1152016 by seattlerat because: added some more info

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Grave of the Fireflies was one of the saddest, most heartbreaking films I have ever seen.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Spirited Away, Ponyo, When Marnie was There and Secret World of Arriety are my favorites. ^-^

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Just found out that Studio Ghibli's Hayao Miyazaki will come out of retirement for one last film! LINK

The now 75-year-old filmmaker, famed for "My Neighbour Totoro," "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "Princess Mononoke" among many others, announced his intention to retire several times before declaring in September 2013 before 600 journalists that he really meant it this time. Since then, he has reportedly been working on a theme park for children.

In a television special titled "Owaranai Hito Miyazaki Hayao" ("The Man Who Is Not Done: Hayao Miyazaki"), Miyazaki talked about a short film he has been working on, a CG animated film called "Kemushi no Boro" ("Boro the Caterpillar"), what he described as "a story of a tiny, hairy caterpillar, so tiny that it may be easily squished between your fingers."

According to the special, Anime News Network reports, Miyazaki has been thinking about the concept for 20 years, and feels unsatisfied with it as a short film, hoping to expand it into a full-length feature. This, he hopes, could be done by 2019 or 2020.

It's a long time to wait, but it will probably be worth it!

posted on Nov, 15 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I Love Studio Ghibli movies! Howls Moving Castle is one of my many favorites

new topics

top topics

join