It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I need a passport

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: Nyiah
I've always wondered why we don't just use our passports at national IDs and cut out the individual states BS. Would make much more sense over a lifetime.

But yeah, I gotta echo why don't you have a passport, dude? Who doesn't have a passport these days? Better to have a valid one than to scramble at the last minute if a surprise vacation abroad blessing falls into your lap or family goes and has issues and needs you there, etc.

Ok then I'll ask a question.
Why should I pay $150 for a passport that is provided by government employees that my tax dollars are already paying?
Why do I need to pay more for them to do the job I'm already paying them to do?

That's exactly what I asked when mine needed renewing. We're citizens and taxpayers so it seems reasonable that we'd get them free. What's more stupendous is how you take your own photos, you fill in the forms and then a clerk presses 'enter' to print. Who worked out the value? Seems they should be paying us for all the admin.

Canada? Great place.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

But it's not unusable during that time period.

1. The passport can still be used as a form of ID during that time period. I always used my passport for ID when flying, usually use it for voting, and use it when I'm doing something that requires 2 forms of ID.

2. The 6 month criteria is set by the country you're visiting, not by the US govt. Countries can set whatever laws they want for foreigners entering their borders, as this election cycle is making clear. Some countries set a 6 month criteria, some have 3 months, and some may have other criteria altogether. Either way, it has nothing to do with your purchase of the passport itself.

I don't see the problem here if you're already paying money to visit another country anyway (visa costs, food costs, international travel costs, domestic travel and housing costs, etc). Just make sure your legal documents are up to date and move on.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If you live in NY you can get an 'Enhanced Drivers License' that will allow you to go back and forth into/out of Canada and Mexico without a passport.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Its been awhile, maybe 10-12 years but I crossed the international bridge in Sault Ste. Marie MI into Canada just showing my Mi ID. Was passenger in a car driven my Canadian citizen

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
When the REAL ID Act goes into full effect on January 22, 2018, you may need a passport to fly domestically -- unless your state has DHS approved ID.

It will also be at that point where ID becomes required for flying. Right now it's treated as though it's legally required. But it isn't.

For many, getting a passport and/or a passport card will be the best or only solution.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
a reply to: enlightenedservant

So we are right back at square one, you pay for a x amount of years on a passport only for a good chunk to be unusable... Seems logical.

5%. If that's a 'good chunk' to you, okay then. Seems to me all these "objections" are First World Problems. They give you something to complain about.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby
It will also be at that point where ID becomes required for flying. Right now it's treated as though it's legally required. But it isn't.

Identification is already required for air travel whether it is with you or not:

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

edit on 6-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Iä! Shub-Niggurath! The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Moresby

Identification is already required for air travel whether it is with you or not:

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

It's not legally required.

If you don't have it, they have a chat with you. But they gotta let you go. I have done it.

After this law goes fully into effect they will be able to prevent you from flying.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Yes, they have a chat were you need to identify yourself, either way they need to be able to confirm who you are.

As someone who flies almost every week I would rather just zip through the line and not be bothered chatting with TSA agents because I don't feel like carrying my license.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join