It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home improvement help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hope this is the right forum.

I'm in need of some advice on how to update my bathroom tiles.

Is there a product that I can use to repaint my bathroom tiles and also my kitchen countertop tiles?
I don't have the resources to renovated the entire kitchen nor my bathroom tiles. So I would
Just like to repaint them. Anyone out there have the know how on where I should start and how to obtain the products? Thanks in advance.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Google stone paints.

They infuse natural stone into epoxy.

normal coatings will not bond to tile

Also check out the Sicilian Sand product, they have a good diy video on that site.
Ssand
edit on 11 by Mandroid7 because: added2

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ILLosopher

I do understand about having a dated bathrooms and my kitchen are dated,80's baby!
It would depend on what materials the tiles are made of.I heard that you can lightly
sand some and then paint them.Don't forget to use a coating to protect the paint.

Another thing is to paint the walls and cabinets,replace the faucets and hardware
and that would give your bathroom a fresher look.Most box type improvement stores
have really nice laminate counter tops you can get pretty reasonable.

Try looking at thrift stores,yard sales and any reuse centers in your area.
edit on 5-11-2016 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Google stone paints.

They infuse natural stone into epoxy.

normal coatings will not bond to tile

Also check out the Sicilian Sand product, they have a good diy video on that site.
Ssand

Yes. There is a paint that knocks off granite / stone. I bought some of it and tested it out. Can't remember the brand but people swore by it and it looked somewhat respectable. I decided to hold off and do the real deal though. I would consider it for a rental but for my own home...I would just wait and save up the coin for the real deal. Not that much money if you spread it out over 6-8 months.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Also take a look at concrete overlays. They are messy, and time consuming, but cheap and awesome.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ILLosopher
Hope this is the right forum.

I'm in need of some advice on how to update my bathroom tiles.

Is there a product that I can use to repaint my bathroom tiles and also my kitchen countertop tiles?
I don't have the resources to renovated the entire kitchen nor my bathroom tiles. So I would
Just like to repaint them. Anyone out there have the know how on where I should start and how to obtain the products? Thanks in advance.

Preparation

As with most painting jobs, preparation is the key to success. To prepare tile for painting:
Clean Tile: Clean the tile to remove any dirt, mildew, or soap scum using an abrasive bathroom cleaner. After cleaning, wipe the surface down with a clean, wet sponge to remove any residue, then allow the surface to dry thoroughly.
Sand Tile: Lightly sand the tile with fine (180-220 grit) synthetic grit sandpaper, such as silicon carbide or aluminum oxide, to take the gloss off the glazed surface. An orbital sander will do a faster and better job than hand sanding.
Remove Dust: Wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to remove any dust and allow to dry before painting.
Painting
There are two painting options for tile:
Latex Paint: Apply one to two coats of a bonding primer that’s made to adhere to surfaces such as tile. Allow the primer to dry for the recommended time, then follow with two topcoats of acrylic latex wall paint.
Epoxy Paint: Apply two coats of a two-part epoxy paint that’s made for tile and other hard to paint surfaces, such as Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile. Follow the directions carefully, and allow the recommended drying time before using. The colors available for epoxy paint may be limited.

This is White, but there are other colors:

Home Depot Source for Above Image

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Tiles and the adhesive/grout normally are not that expensive so you could just find some new tiles and slap them on top but it gets messy if you need to cut corners etc and you don't have the tools.

If you have the time you can carefully remove the old tiles and then slap on the new ones with perhaps a bit of polyfilla for the odd hole or two.

There are paints etc you can use but if you do get an extra lot so you can touch up as scratches etc will show through.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What I've found that works well is a product called XIM UMA as a primer and then a good quality epoxy paint. The XIM product is a Urethane Modified Acrylic and is designed to adhere to hard to paint surfaces like glass, tile, formica and other plastics. It seems to have been fairly durable considering the challenge of painting tile. It's kind of hard to find but most paint stores can order it.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Thanks everyone

You guys have been very helpful.

top topics

join