It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Mexico has a ‘contingency plan’ if Trump wins

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

“If the adverse scenario manifests itself, it’s possible that Mexican authorities will respond in some way,” Mexico’s central bank governor Agustin Carstens, told Milenio TV in Mexico. “It’s a contingency plan that we’re talking with the finance minister about.”

Trump’s negative rhetoric is already hurting Mexico’s currency, the peso. It’s down 9% this year, partially due to Trump. Whenever Trump’s poll numbers have improved this year, the peso has gone down.

“We hope we don’t have to use,” the contingency plan, Carstens told Milenio TV.
LINK

If you're looking to make money on the election and you think Trump is going to win, shorting the peso could be a good way to go.

I don't recall reading anything like this in past elections. On the other hand, I don't recall a past U.S. presidential candidate singling out another country the way Trump has singled out Mexico.

What could Mexico's mysterious "contingency plan" involve? The last sentence above gave me chills. It sounds very serious to me.
edit on 5-11-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

One of their biggest exports is illegal immigrants.
I don't see any threat whatsoever.
I know it's a long shot but I hope Trump wins.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So they don't say what the actual 'contingency plan' is?

I can't think of what they would mean.

So if Trump wins they are going to . . . . .???

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Well, one thing you can rule out is military action of any kind.

To put it simply, Mexico are weak when it comes to military might, because all their forces from law enforcement up to actual military units, are utterly riddled with cartel members and sympathisers, which makes them less cohesive as a force, because members of any given unit cannot trust the motivations of any other given unit.

However, the cartels themselves, in some circumstances, could be considered an asset, if they could be persuaded or leveraged, to act for the defence of their own businesses. There again, many of the cartels have CIA backing, whether official or off the books, because their routes of supply make them useful partners in transporting certain materials and assets, including but in no way limited to guns, drugs, cash, information, and the like.

It is hard to see what the Mexican government would be able to achieve. The only thing that immediately springs to mind, is ceasing to operate ANY anti-cartel action, so that the cartels can concentrate on their battles with the DEA, ICE, and other agencies, with the added benefit that the cartels are their own law, and therefore the government of Mexico would have plausible deniability with regard to responsibility for any outlandish action the cartels might engage in. Landmines and IEDs every few hundred yards in the areas which might be worked on during the construction of "The Wall", the murder or torture of workmen building it, capture of protective details assigned to them during construction efforts... there are many things the cartels could do, without attracting negative attention to the government and people of Mexico.

It all depends on what they are seeking to achieve, and keeping that under their sombreros would probably be wise. Personally, I am surprised that any public comment was made, since to do so absent a clear route of response would appear weak under most circumstances.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
America has always dominated smaller nations. Mexico won't have a 'contingency plan.' What can they do? Their economy needs US tourism so it's not like they can close their own borders.

They can't petition the UN because a Trump presidency won't recognise their authority. He's already said he'll cancel payments to the UN. They can't withdraw from trade agreements with the US because...economy.

They can't call for all Mexicans in the US to go on strike because they wouldn't be there if they could afford to strike.

There's always the Mercosur bloc I suppose. They could rally up some opposition or a regional boycott of US goods. Seems like they'd be cutting their noses off to spite their faces.

My guess is the 'contingency plan' is pray for Clinton.

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
"Trump’s negative rhetoric..."

I just love the way Trump's economic message is always portrayed.

His "rhetoric" is that the open border with Mexico (drugs and people coming in, money going out), and the effects of NAFTA (jobs and money going out) have severely injured the American Economy and the American people. He, if elected, intends to reverse this, and to restore a healthier trade balance (and not just with Mexico).

I would say that, for American, this is positive "rhetoric".

It is quite clear that a Trump Presidency will adversely affect Mexico and its economy. Many fewer new factories being built...probably quite a few closing. Less drug money flowing in. Less money for the Coyotes, and the crooked Cops. Less money flowing back to Mexico, from illegal immigrants who are working in America.

There are winners and losers, as trade balances change. America has been the net loser (and not just with Mexico) for the last two decades. America has lost 70,000 factories since China joined the WTO...seventy thousand.

If America makes the right choice on Tuesday, that needle will turn back around.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hmmm, maybe they might threaten to (gasp) not send illegals to the US. Or maybe they'll build a wall?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Mexico has a ‘contingency plan’ if Trump wins

True.

They won't take Justin Beiber back.

edit on 5-11-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Economic struggles... of course blame the boogieman... Peso couldnt possibly be down due to bad economic deals, rampant corruption... and the people of mexico losing faith in a system that is obviously owned by the cartels, to such a degree sections of the country have picked up weapons to defend their homes against the cartels mostly, but when the govt comes for their guns they are told quite firmly to go away. (from what I read)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

They say no more tequila for us.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

True. They won't take Justin Beiber back.

maybe even worse, they'll form a new boy band along the lines of Menudo and release them on the the youth of the U.S..
and all the tinybopper girls are going to go nuts over them and the teenage boys are going to try and imitate them.
and we'll all be living La Vida Loca

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The most dangerous thing Mexico could do is flood our Southern Border even more than they already do with immigrants. Release hardened violent criminals drop them off at border and say "North or die". Also, they could facilitate, also even more than they already do the movement of Central Americans north. Another slight lever they have is to stop what little enforcement they do against the Cartels and give them no opposition in their movement of product north. Mexico, to one level or another already does these things, I don't know what level of increase in these activities should be considered a hostile act that requires a hostile response, but there is a level that would. The US and Mexico have existed side by side mostly peacefully for two centuries with the notable exception of the US-Mexican War which was fairly short and some border skirmishes a century ago. Were Mexico to ever get it's corruption under control and generate a society and economy that wasn't as corrupt and gave opportunities to all levels of society, there would not be a huge cry against free movement of people and products between them and US. It has everything it needs to do so, a decent agricultural base, large amount of natural resources, access to both the Atlantic and Pacific, some but not insurmountable ethnic divisions, and the largest economy in the world on it's border. I really don't pay attention to anything Mexico says about it's problems unless it starts with self reflection.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Maybe they'll spike the dope.

How many Americans will that affect?

Nationwide chemical warfare on every street.

Scary thought really.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Ummm...UH-OH...All the Mexican restaurants are going to close one dark night...and slink off south of the border...

Operation...mole'...

YouSir

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Sounds like they need to

"Make Mexico Great"

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
As a Texan I am happy somebody finally gives a hoot about our plight...

A deluge of uneducated impoverished "refugees" have been overtaking my state by the millions for more than a half century...

There was a time when the US immigration policy sought to "skim the cream" off the top of the worlds nations...

You know, more Einsteins and Nicola Teslas and less Dzhokhar Tsarnaevs...

But what about the women and children? Well, I'm pretty sure the Orlando massacre terrorist was a kid when he came here and that idiot who killed a bunch people in the mall was also a kid when he came here...

So spare me your moral equivocation and any effort's to pull my heartstrings because children grow up born of the sensibilities and genetic predisposition of their culture...and if said predisposition/culture tends towards a cult of death then please stay in whatever hellhole you came from...

For the Werner Von Brauns of the world, come on over if u can get us back to the moon...to the rest, stay where u are please...although u probably can't read so this request is moot..

-Chris

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My best guesstimate would be sime thing to stop the fall of the peso, but that would mean logical thinking.

So i will go with building tunnels to hell to unleash the dead bodies of past presidents?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
"Trump’s negative rhetoric is already hurting Mexico’s currency, the peso. It’s down 9% this year, partially due to Trump"

Does anyone really believe this ?
edit on 5-11-2016 by Innocuous because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I imagine they will pull a castro and empty their prisons,drive the convicts to an isolated part the U.S. border and set them free with the warning that " if we catch in mexico again we`ll kill you".

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

He's damaging before he even enters office. An awful choice for president.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join