It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dr. Strange......review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
What a disappointment. The trailer looked so promising and I usually like Frank Miller films and have worked for him on "The Spirit" a great guy, but.....Marvel just seems to be shoving out manufactured crap imo.

Wooden characters just going thru the motions. Goofy scrip filled with esoterica BS. Poor direction with continuity glitches to many to count.

CGI overkill that didn't help the story at all using the same template over and over and over....

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
What a disappointment. The trailer looked so promising and I usually like Frank Miller films and have worked for him on "The Spirit" a great guy, but.....Marvel just seems to be shoving out manufactured crap imo.

Wooden characters just going thru the motions. Goofy scrip filled with esoterica BS. Poor direction with continuity glitches to many to count.

CGI overkill that didn't help the story at all using the same template over and over and over....

I bet the made for TV move in the 70's was better. I actually like that movie. Watched it a few years ago.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Wow, so the latest of the obsessive desperate attempt to make money off the super-hero crazed masses is a flop?

Craaaaazy.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yeah but at least it had Benedict Cumberbatch. I'm not gay, But Benedict could convert me. What a hunky turtle face.

link   

Whatever, I enjoyed it, had a blast, and thought Benedict did great as Dr, Strange. To each their own though.

I thought the movie made "magic" look really cool rather than silly for for once.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I haven't yet seen it, but got the impression it is one of those "needed for future movie" kind of movies. Not enough effort and talent, but required as a precursor / introduction.

Not that the reason excuses lack of awesomeness, it just seems this is how it goes sometimes with these type of "backstory" movies.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Fine amusement, some humour and fair acting - sufficient for this type of movie. Not a great plot, but come on, it's a Marvel movie, y'all know what to expect. The good guys always win and there is always room for a sequel.

3 on a scale of 5.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A friend of mine ( who is a movie buff) said it was good and a must see in 3D. Funny how people can have vastly different opinions on movies. Have you seen the one from 1978?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

It's scoring 9/10 on IMDB and a Mexican-waving 90% on Rotten Tomatoes.

IMDB scores are a bit giddy sometimes and best taken with a pinch of salt. Rotten Tomatoes is usually a tough crowd with low scores so the 90% indicates a movie as good as Dark Knight (Salute to BlupBlup) and right up there as a 'great' film.

I'll have to watch it and hope it's as good as I expected before your OP.

Off-topic - Venture Bros.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Don't listen to him. It's very clear by the tone of his opening post that he's just plain in anti-superhero movie mode. He's in that, it's really popular so I'm going to hate it and # talk it to be going against the grain mode. People fall into such modes for various reasons. Why he's in it not sure. Even if it were the best superhero movie of all time, he'd still find a reason to hate it right now. It's not that he hates superhero movies so much as he sounds burnt out by them and a bit angsty over it. In time he might chill back to normal human receptiveness and be able to watch such movies with openness again.

You'll most likely enjoy the movie. I for one am glad to be seeing these super hero movies. They've come a long way from the old days.
edit on 11/5/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/5/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I completely disagree. Just got back from seeing it and I thought it was great for a big budget tent pole Marvel film. Its tracking to be the second biggest opening weekend for one of the non team-up origin story Marvel films. The special effects are pretty much a lock to be nominated for an Oscar.

I thought it was one of the more ambitious Marvel films. However, if you don't like comic book movies then of course you will not like it.

Don't know what Frank Miller has to do with anything. He had nothing to do with this movie and never had anything to do with Doctor Strange in the comics either.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Don't know what Frank Miller has to do with anything. He had nothing to do with this movie and never had anything to do with Doctor Strange in the comics either.Text

You're correct. I made a mistake. Still didn't like the movie. And I do like some super hero comic book movies, just not this one.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Thanks PL, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Have you and Olaru met by any chance??

new topics

top topics

join