It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Scientists confirm a structural similarity discovered in both human cells and neutron stars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Behold an intriguing discovery

Structures consisting of stacked sheets connected by helical ramps — ("parking garage") — have been found in cell cytoplasm (left) and neutron stars (right). Credit: University of California - Santa Barbara

Astrophysicists can only indirectly infer based on modelling and computer simulations what’s inside of a collapsed supernova, or neutron star. One such discovery of a structure believed to exist inside a neutron star could perhaps have an analog system just a microscopic study away. Theorists simulating the structure of a neutron star’s crust have identified features similar to those observed inside cellular membranes. The finding suggests that although neutron stars and cell membranes differ by 14 orders of magnitude in their density, their similar structures may be determined by the same geometric constraints.

Neutron stars contain some of the densest matter in the universe, second only to black holes. Astrophysicists say that these compact, Manhattan-sized remnants of stars have a thin, 100-meter crust whose structure resembles different kinds of noodles: strings of protons and neutrons, smashed together like flour and eggs in a pasta press. They've appropriately called it - nuclear pasta. (mmmm, nuclear pasta...)
Naturally my next question is what would a nuclear meatball look like.

By chance, Greg Huber, a biophysicist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, came across an article about the structures and recognized that one of them had a striking resemblance to the membrane folds in endoplasmic reticulum, a part of the cell involved in protein folding and transport. The researchers have now teamed up to study how this phase self-assembles out of uniformly distributed protons, neutrons, and electrons. Their simulations show that the particles organize into high-density filaments and then expand into layers connected by pairs of ramp-like junctions—similar to the floors of a parking garage. Having seen the same shapes in dense nuclear matter and biological membranes, the researchers speculate that the energies of both systems depend on their geometry in a simple, universal way. physics.aps.org...

A 3D-printed model using data from actual endoplasmic reticulum sheets

Universal geometry at it's best....
Reminds me of this Double Helix Nebula:

Additional reading:
phys.org...
journals.aps.org...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We are Stardust.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:50 PM
link   
That double helix nebula was my ultrasound pic.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The matrix is fractal.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hmm...

I wonder if planes of existence have a parking garage structure to them as well?

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhotonEffect

Having seen the same shapes in dense nuclear matter and biological membranes, the researchers speculate that the energies of both systems depend on their geometry in a simple, universal way.

Indeed. The helical ramp structure most likely has some energy-saving advantages in some varied and unrelated systems -- and a basic law of the universe is that natural systems strive to be as efficient as possible.

Take the sphere for example. A sphere is a energy-saving shape because it represents the smallest surface area for a given volume. Many varied and unrelated systems in nature -- from biological systems to geological systems to cosmological systems -- each utilize the fact that a given volume would most efficiently fit into a sphere when considering surface area.

The fact that everything in the universe (even complex systems) is emergent from the same basic fundamental laws makes it unsurprising to find shapes repeated across those various systems. The fundamental laws that build those systems are the same, so similarities even in the most unrelated systems will exists.

edit on 2016-11-4 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is what their simulations show, not something they've directly measured. And PhotonEffect is trying to say something with their profile image. I wonder what it's. I also wonder what's so important about parking garages.

If you don't know about it, now is the time:
en.wikipedia.org - Dragon's Egg...

"I'm not saying it's aliens but it's aliens."
edit on 11/4/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Nice take on why these similarities do and would exist.

Would you also use the axiom of "the path of least resistance" when describing your quote below?

a basic law of the universe is that natural systems strive to be as efficient as possible.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: PhotonEffect

We are Gods...

Going by this image, are we just a neutron in someone's head?
Is there a universe in my head?
In all our heads?
edit on 4/11/16 by SecretKnowledge because: Added text

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Look at the human eye for example. They look like things we see in space. Black hole and spectacular color.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

No surprise and fascinating.

The Universe contains many common 3 dimensional, structural themes that carry over a variety of scales and applications.

Another cool one is the wave form of light (electromagnetism) and its similarity to a double helix ie: DNA

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: UberL33t
Hmm...

I wonder if planes of existence have a parking garage structure to them as well?

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me...

Interesting idea. Run with it.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Well said, and most likely true. There's probably no good reason to ask "why" these particular structures, and not any other structure. Of the infinite possibilities out there, one is found in a cell and one in a gargantuan star. Go figure

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge
In all our heads?

Could be, yes, and yes.

If you imagine a universe in your head is there one there?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

In all our heads?

Nah, it's just in your head

edit on 4/11/2016 by Planet teleX because: for quote

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

nuclear pasta

Punk rock band name ideas.

Wouldn't it be something to find out the known physical Universe is also a 'brain' and gives rise to a consciousness of sorts. Perhaps there is something to pantheism.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TomLawless
We are Stardust.

We are Golden.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 05:04 AM
link   

"As above so below"...thanks for a great thread

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

That's a very misleading comparison...

See here: www.quora.com...
edit on 5-11-2016 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Misleading in what way?

They both are similar in pattern

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join