It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Canada investigating "pinging sound" in Arctic sea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Not much info available right now but Canadas military is investigating a mysterious sound emanating from the Arctic sea floor.

Described as a "hum" or "beep", the sound has evidently scared away some local wildlife in the Fury and Hecla straits, which are popular hunting grounds.

Speculations are circling the cause of the noise. Some have tried to blame the Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation conducting sonar surveys, or even Greenpeace attempting to disrupt the local hunting season. Although both have denied any such operations in the area.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

As submarines have not been ruled out I'd suspect submarines , no idea who's they could be though.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

A pinging or beeping noise, coming from the ocean floor?

Hmmm... Well, I am going to go out on a limb, and say that if it is a submarine, that it is not military. Military subs are designed in order to minimise unnecessary noise transferring through the hull to the outside, making them harder to detect using sound based systems.

Furthermore, crews on board those craft know how to keep themselves and their gear from giving their position away. Having a noisy electronic beeping noise, issuing repeatedly would be something they would ordinarily want to avoid.

Sounds very perplexing to me.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Even though most of these weird ocean sounds turn out to be ice scraping on the bottom I still have my Cthulhu 2016 yard sign out. Here's hoping for an upset on November 8th

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
ScenceAlert.com - The Canadian military is investigating a mysterious sound from the bottom of the Arctic.

The subheadline reads, "Wildlife won't go near it."

Apparently the locals noticed this over the summer. They also noticed that all the wildlife avoided the passage where the sound was originating. They then asked the military to look into it. So, probably not a submarine. Greenpeace denies any involvement. So, the Canadian military is set to look into it.

Even an airplanes black box does not last this long! Wonder what it is?

[ETA: CBCnews.com - Mysterious 'ping' sound from sea floor baffles Igloolik, has maps and a bit more detail... like the place is 70 km north a defunct military radar site]
edit on 4-11-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add url

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
If it is a sub, could it possibly be that the sub is in trouble, and noise is being made deliberately in the hopes of attracting attention?

I don't want to jump out on a limb and say it was the Russians. It could just as easily be a Canadian, American, or Chinese sub.

We'll have to see if anybody reports any subs missing in the coming weeks, in some location far away from the Canadian arctic.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Even though most of these weird ocean sounds turn out to be ice scraping on the bottom I still have my Cthulhu 2016 yard sign out. Here's hoping for an upset on November 8th

All hail our new Lovecraftian overlord?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Ok ...I will try to stay rational and guess its either an underground alien UFO (base) or another entrance to inner earth opened there ...oh oh - or the Pacific Rim "we looked the wrong direction" Kaiju scenario. All very plausible :p

Jokes aside I think such news are very interessting and I am curious what is really emnating this sound.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Whatever08152 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Pppshhh. We candians don't have subs

Last time I checked we had more submarines used for tourists on an indoor track in West Edmonton Mall than we did in our navy (I believe there was 5 in the mall)

EDIT: just checked. We have 4 in our entire navy

edit on 4/11/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This is interesting. Thank you for sharing. I wonder what could be making this sound, and can't wait to find out what it could be. I hope it's nothing serious, though it's concerning, since the animals are avoiding the area where the sound is.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Looks like you're down to 3 now

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

As submarines have not been ruled out I'd suspect submarines , no idea who's they could be though.

Did you read the part where they said "Internal correspondence between sources in the Department of National Defence, obtained by CBC News, suggest submarines were not immediately ruled out, but were also not considered a likely cause."

If the professionals are saying this, whats keeping you from thinking outside the box as well? Just wondering why you would go with the most mundane cause, when even the pros are saying not too likely? 

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

My husband worked for Baffinland Iron Mining, they conducted their sonar surveys over a year ago so it can't be that.

Maybe it's an old sunken nuclear sub that's decided to come back to life ?

Maybe it's an undetonated bomb from the cold war or WW2 that got a sudden caffeine jolt ?

Or (and most likely):

Maybe it's someone's black ops submarine that nobody knows about... and are not going to know about.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Just wondering why you would go with the most mundane cause, when even the pros are saying not too likely?

Because the mundane explanation tends to be the correct one more often than not , I'm not ruling anything out but submarine is my suspicion.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Found this tiny tidbit, and the mystery deepens...

Over the years, there have been various reports of sightings of mysterious objects in Canada’s Arctic waters. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, there were at least a dozen sightings of unusual objects moving along or just below the surface of the water, mostly around Baffin Island, according to Canadian Forces records.

Over the years, there have been various reports of sightings of mysterious objects in Canada’s Arctic waters
Inuit hunters and members of the Canadian Rangers reported what they believed were foreign submarines checking out Canada’s Arctic territories. Many of the sightings took place near Pond Inlet on Baffin Island.

One sighting in particular was well-documented: an RCMP officer and several area residents saw an object just below the surface, producing a three-metre bow wave as it moved through the water. Several weeks later, a group of hunters saw the object again.
Over the years, there have been various reports of sightings of mysterious objects in Canada’s Arctic waters. In the late 1990s and early 2000s, there were at least a dozen sightings of unusual objects moving along or just below the surface of the water, mostly around Baffin Island, according to Canadian Forces records.

Over the years, there have been various reports of sightings of mysterious objects in Canada’s Arctic waters
Inuit hunters and members of the Canadian Rangers reported what they believed were foreign submarines checking out Canada’s Arctic territories. Many of the sightings took place near Pond Inlet on Baffin Island.

One sighting in particular was well-documented: an RCMP officer and several area residents saw an object just below the surface, producing a three-metre bow wave as it moved through the water. Several weeks later, a group of hunters saw the object again.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   
A Rossby Wave maybe?

Rossby Wave

I cant make a proper comment as i know nothing about it, i just found it through reading, hopefully somebody who does understand can make some meaning out of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Very interesting phenomenon. Perhaps it is like the "bloop"?

Bloop was an ultra-low-frequency and extremely powerful underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 1997. The sound was consistent with the noises generated by icequakes in large icebergs, or large icebergs scraping the ocean floor, but in 2002 was said to also be consistent with large marine animals.

The Bloop

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Is not Putin. Putin subs not ping or bloop.
In Soviet Russia: Wildlife is loving Soviet submarines.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Nope you guys are all wrong, based on the evidence so far it's obviously aliens.....Nazi aliens.

Just kidding, but I'm leaning away from the submarine explanation, unless it's in trouble or malfunctioning I wouldn't expect a sub to be emitting sound like that. It's probably something mundane but until then I'm going to speculate wildly and without restraint, this is ATS after all.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm going with Greenpeace attempting to disrupt the local hunting season.

The report claims that there is a sound coming off the sea floor of the arctic ocean. The sound is described as sounding like a "ping" noise implying a sonar device. A submarine might be using sonar, but why would they ping upward and stay in one area? I'd say it's a stationary transmitter dropped there for a purpose and if wildlife is staying away then the purpose is to scare them off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join