It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Blood Parrot Cichlid AKA KissyFish

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

My mistake was thinking he wouldnt be intimidated by smaller fish, so I put 2 jewel and 2 firemouths in with him. In the huge tank ( Im moving him alone to a "smaller" tank.. he just chased them around.. and if I had my hand in the tank he would really go after them. I thik it is because he associates food with my hand in the tank.. and he doesnt share. I caught him holding a jewel down.. like pushing him into the gravel and not letting him up. I got him off of the Jewel but he died shortly afterward.

Sand.. I couldnt find black sand.. I wanted black sand becuase he is a very vibrant Parrot and his color will be wonderful against the dark bottom.
If he doesnt like it.. then Ill put sand in there. Who knows how Ill tell if he cares, but he seems temperamental!

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Advantage

The other thing to know is that with cichlids especially as they are so intelligent, they are all individuals. So while one blood parrot might be a holy terror, another might actually wind up being a halfway good citizen in a community tank. There are lots of good resources you can check out online that will help you, but you will need to keep in mind that they will be generalizing for your fish's type.

Also, if you take halfway decent care of your fish, you can expect to have him around for years like any good dog or cat would be.

I had African cichlids who lasted close to a decade for me before, and the humble corydoras cats are capable of living up to 20 years with the right care.

Oh he will be taken care of. Im a nut who devoted one room in the house to critters, my dogs have a room and this cat my daughter brought home has a balcony with a cat tower. He'll live for ages if I have anything to do with it! LOL!

You guys are GREAT!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I had a breeding pair J. marlieri for 8 years. I also kept a 135g with Cyatho. furcifer and Cyprichromis leptsoma in it; got both of those to breed for me. I also had a quarter of Altocomps "Mwela" in there with one gorgeous show male (F1). I also had about six Synodontis petricola cats in there.

I lost a lot of my fish when we moved. I did my best to cushion them and plan the move, but the timing went off and everything got out of sync and I lost a lot of fish.

I kept my 55g running for a long time after that with more community style fish in it. I kept some Stomatepia pindu from Lake Barombi Mbo in it for a while. I also kept and managed to breed some Tilapia snyderae, really fun little fish and well worth it if you ever run across any. They are rare though.

I've also managed to have some success with a couple of the South American dwarfs a couple of times - regular wild Rams and Apisto. agassizi.

I got started with the common Kribensis.

My husband says that I have the aquatic equivalent of the green thumb. Give me access to a tank and fish and all of a sudden, I have a lot more.

I really need to back into the hobby. I got out when I got pregnant.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

youre awesome.

ive never had an f1
makes me think of this dude with a store out towards cleveland that has been on like fish safari in africa multiple times. he has a hatchery in the basement of his store. his fish are the most beautiful, most diverse fish i have ever seen in a store. his water is immaculate as well.

he has or at least had a microlepis in an open top tank. i loved him and he is the only one i have ever seen. he would smack his jaws together and you could hear it. dude said he could not let him go for less than a thousand.
i was always so jealous of his fish. the most beautiful frontosa and blue dolphins i have ever seen.
fell in love with pseudotropheus chewere in his store.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I loved that Mwela. It took me years to grow him out.

I got off AquaBid in a group of six 1" fry. Let me tell you ... Altocomps are NOT easy to grow out. They grow slow, and they get shocky during water changes really easy. I accidentally killed two of the six just trying to figure out how to do the water changes right when they were all little.

I was sick when I lost him.

Yeah, the only way I could ever afford anything like an f1 was to buy them as really little guys and invest the time and effort to grow them out. If you do that, they typically run you less than $10/fish depending on what species you get, but then you are looking at having to buy a group to try to get your breeding group, so you are buying more and possibly having to shed extra fish.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
They eat kittens. I hope you have plenty around.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
They eat kittens. I hope you have plenty around.

Excellent, so do I! I like em little and crunchy.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Really beautiful animal! Thank-you for sharing.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I hope you cycled your tank. For atleast 3 weeks. It will be unhappy and die if not. If the store didn't tell you this I despair.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join