It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Court rules British Government can't trigger Article 50 without parliamentary consent!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
news.sky.com...

Absolutely disgusted. All British MP's voted for a referendum to put the question of whether the British people wanted to leave the EU to the people and all MP's had their own personal votes on referendum day. The British people sent a clear message they wanted to leave, in fact in England most of the Country voted leave and most remainers were in London. In a lot of constituencies the vote leave was above 60%. The British people were told that Article 50 would be triggered by the Government the following day should we decide to leave but obviously Cameron resigned. This situation would never have happened if as promised the Government had triggered Article 50 immediately.

We are now going to have a constitutional crisis. A lot of MPs in Parliament are for remain. Will they vote against their own constituents? A lot of MP's are saying they believe the majority will vote to honour the referendum vote however, then, it goes to the Lords. Will the Lords honour the vote of the people? Or will they undermine that result? We will then be in a position where unelected people will be going against the people!

The British people didnt vote for hard or soft brexit, the question was 'do you want to leave the EU?'. A lot of MP's don't want to leave the single market so may make this a requirement when voting. Most people who voted to leave wanted to leave the single market because of freedom of movement and so we can make our own trade deals. Although MP's like to say the people didnt make this clear, it was clear. The single market was discussed throughout the run up to the referendum and it was made perfectly clear 'leave' would mean leaving the single market and possible trade tarriffs..

I believe members of the Scottish Government were in Court today as well so again this will no doubt mean there will be problems there.

I believe the Government should call a General Election so British people can turf out some of the MP's who want to go against the will of the people.

edit on 3-11-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
The MP's already voted to have a referendum, now it has not gone there way they want to take away the will of the people.

This is why Farage is meant to stay as UKIP leader until the will of the people is accomplished. If the MP's do vote to block the exit then Nige will probably be PM in the next election.

edit on 3-11-2016 by PickledOnion because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2016 by PickledOnion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
I believe the Government should call a General Election so British people can turf out some of the MP's who want to go against the will of the people.

The right moment would be when the vote met a defeat in Parliament, and it would have to be a "coupon election" for that to work. I'm thinking of the election of 1918, when Lloyd George endorsed those party members who would support his coalition government. The government campaign would need to be supporting Leave candidates of any complexion against Remain candidates, even Conservative ones.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

I can understand why it needs to go to parliament. There needs to be a consensus on what we, as a country, do when we leave. Contracts with other countries, imports/exports, borders and a bucket load of other things.

I can't see in the ruling from the high court that the MPs need agree on leave or stay though, but I can see why you think it does. After all, all the promises pre Brexit got broken the day after the vote.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Whatever the result this is a clear case of the majority of the british public being undermined by those who have their own interests in mind. Can't say i'm surprised though

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Britain is just as screwed as the US is...

:

Two hags in the highest offices in the world... one the british people didn't vote for, and the other is the one that had the path paved in gold for her...

I''ve officially lost faith in the world over recent events.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The more I look at representative democracy the more I realise it is a crap form of governance. We need a 50:50 system like Switzerland.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

It's a lot of bollocks if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
one the british people didn't vote for,...

That applies to every Prime Minister we have ever had. NO P.M. in British history has ever been chosen by the electorate.
The electorate chooses the M.P.'s, and the M.P.'s effectively choose the P.M., by constituting their majority in the Commons.
So "we didn't vote for him/her" is always an irrelevant point to make about any individual in the office, because we never do. Unless we happen to live in their constituency, of course.

edit on 3-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The MP vote against the people and the people will # # up

edit on 3-11-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I know the vote isn't to leave or remain but in a roundabout way it is. I have now seen several remain politicians on the news this morning, Nicky Morgan, Stephen Kinnock etc and none answer the question directly when asked if they will vote against triggering Artcle 50. They all say they will vote with the people if they agree with the terms. They say they don't agree with the Government's hard brexit stance ie leaving the single market. What they want to do is give the British people a watered down version which isn't what British people voted for. They voted out! One labour MP said he would be voting against triggering Article 50 and seeing as most of the Lords are part of the establishment and money I dare say most of those too will vote against it and then what? Interestingly the Judges who made the decision today were nearly all Lords (wonder if they voted Remain?) The whole system is corrupt!

Problem is there doesnt seem to be anyone fighting the corner of normal people, even Nigel Farage has left when in my opinion he should have seen it through to the end..a reply to: TerryDon79

edit on 3-11-2016 by anxiouswens because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: zGrimReapah

3 Hags if you count Nicola Sturgeon...another idiot in control and not wanted.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
The MP vote against the people and the people will # # up

IMVHO ... you should've done that already.

You should've gone ballistic at the very moment the government ever introduced the question, "Huh?" into the equation.

The people voted ... and the outcome of the vote was VERY clear. How can there be a question of what's to happen?

Time to overthrow those holding you hostage.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This seems a no brainier. Referendum have no legal authority in the UK. Regardless if you want to leave or stay in the UK this should be seen as the right decision, unless you want the prime minister to be a position to make decisions of this magnitude unilaterally.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: anxiouswens

The right moment would be when the vote met a defeat in Parliament, and it would have to be a "coupon election" for that to work. I'm thinking of the election of 1918, when Lloyd George endorsed those party members who would support his coalition government. The government campaign would need to be supporting Leave candidates of any complexion against Remain candidates, even Conservative ones.

What happens if remain MPs win the majority of seats?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindq
a reply to: zGrimReapah

3 Hags if you count Nicola Sturgeon...another idiot in control and not wanted.

Apart from the almost 50% of the electorate who voted SNP...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot
Then there would have to be a Remain government.
If that happened, it would be reasonable to assume that the people had changed their minds on the subject (and I don't think it would happen unless they did).

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I won't go into the subject of Farage. My opinion of him isn't very high.

What you (and quite a surprising number of brits) forget is, parliament is where everything happens and decisions get made. If you want the PM to have the final say, you'd be wanting a president type of system with advisors.

Now, while I agree that things do look like parliament could decide remain, I see no evidence that it will happen.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Then there would have to be a Remain government.
If that happened, it would be reasonable to assume that the people had changed their minds on the subject (and I don't think it would happen unless they did).

It creates an interesting annomally in that due to our FPTP constituency system and party voting you could run twenty elections and keep getting remain MPs yet a referendum could keep giving a popular vote to leave.

Problem with using referendum in the UK when there isn't a clearly defined role for then in our constitution.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The "coupon election" approach would temporarily override party voting. Thus in 1918 anti-coalition Liberals got no support from the Liberal/Conservative coalition, and pro-coalition Liberals had no Conservative opposition.
And the usual grievance about "first past the post" is that it is supposed to be "unfair to small parties". If there were effectively only the two options, Leave or Remain, then it would not make much of a difference. The strength of the two groups in the Commons would reflect their strength in the country.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join