It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side Beckons...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Altruism. Not many acts are truly selfless. It makes us feel good to help someone, we get personal gratification from doing certain things. Other actions especially regarding our family ensures our genes continue on to the next generation. You can argue no action is altruistic but I find you end up going round in circles.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Do most people do something nice with the expectation that in some capacity they will be rewarded? I believe so. Just think about anything you have done recently that you would consider nice or selfless. What compelled you to perform this action? Was it purely for the welfare of another organism, or were there hidden, selfish motives at play?

I expect nothing in return for my good deeds. Honestly.

I must say that I am a bit puzzled by your OP. I never thought that there were people doing good deeds for a reward. A good deed comes from your heart. It really is for the welfare of another - no self motive.

I think you may already have gone to the dark side.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies
I expect nothing in return for my good deeds. Honestly.

Why do you perform good deeds?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

The Dark Side is surprisingly more righteous then the Light Side. Here's why! If your dressed as a goth or biker you most likely have everyone in town monitoring you actions.

If your dressed as someone who might go to church or be apart of a family who owns a business suit and tie and what not. And keep yourself looked at as highly revered by the way you carry yourself most likely attending town meetings.

Your probably getting away with more # then you should be. And your probably lying a heap of a crap as tall as Everest.

Somebody dressed in black and just looks stereo-typically like the kid that got bullied and would shoot up an entire school just because that person doesn't dress like someone shaking your hand smiling to your face and running through eternally regurgitated look at me as a good citizen bull crap.

Plain and simple if your not wearing the same hair cut as everyone else what in the hell are you getting away with?

If you think your getting away with something let me tell you your not. If the bible is correct that we are all god's children and god created everything it means in one way or another you are connected to the thought patterns that created everything then it'd have to know everything you do.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Turn from the dark side you must.The dark side destroy you it will.Seek the light you must.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
In a general sense, a human can be one of two things. Either a tumour on the universe, a cancerous outgrowth, continually resentful of his material/situational apportionment in life (bad), or he can be fundamentally neutral toward everything except the most important principle: perfect reason (I suppose we'll call this good).

If you go around thinking the world owes you something which you can't provide for yourself, you fall into the one category. If you recognize that you have all the necessary tools and capabilities to exist here in total contentment, you fall into the other.

Anyone of course can flit between these states, but you'll tend toward one or the other. Almost no one falls entirely into one category, but perhaps some "special" few do.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Being good for the sake of being good has less value than being good because you prefer it to the 'dark side.

Incorrect. If something has a true quality, it has that quality in itself regardless of context. If good is truly good, and it's based on the principle of reason, it doesn't need anything else to qualify it.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

I disagree with your 'incorrect.'

Your use of 'if' suggests you already know how absolutes are subjective here.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

If good exists then it isn't subjective. If it is subjective, then it isn't actually good.

This is all I can say with certainty, hence "if", but of this I'm totally certain.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Good can be subjective. I tend to think that 'bad' is a choice and probably a different discussion.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Good can be subjective.

How so? I say that if it's subjective, it isn't good, and I'm willing to argue this to extremes. E.g. one persons love of their family is not a good, and neither is holding the door for someone, and neither is philanthropy, or helping starving children. I classify all of those things as indifferent. Why? Because love of family is limited to one's own. Holding the door for someone is merely politeness and saves them a bit of exertion. Philanthropy centers around helping people who aren't well-off materially, and so even does *gasp* feeding the starving. Our bodies and physical health are also indifferent, we're subject to live or perish on a whim, so how can sustenance and good health possibly be an objective good, even if you're starving?

Supposing objective good, it follows that good must be beneficial not only to one person, not only to a group of people, not only to humanity, but beneficial to the entirety. Beneficial to the universe and everything in it.

Now what could possibly be beneficial to you, me, humanity, and the universe in its entirety? Hmmmm.....
edit on 29-11-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Welcome to the assymetry of being. Right now, its the time for anti-heroes not fully good moralist heroes. The state of confusion everyone seems to be feeling right now, will either lead to our demise or improve us at last.

Either way, to be full, you need to accept the dark as much as the light, one without the other is incomplete, making you incomplete. Balance is the key.
edit on 29-11-16 by Substracto because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
If you go around thinking the world owes you something which you can't provide for yourself, you fall into the one category. If you recognize that you have all the necessary tools and capabilities to exist here in total contentment, you fall into the other.

The world doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe the world anything either.

Given this revelation, which category would I fit into?

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

originally posted by: Talorc

The world doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe the world anything either.

Given this revelation, which category would I fit into?

Do you resent anything that happens to you? Are you frustrated by anything? Have you been upset by people and situations outside your control? How about ever being intemperate, spiteful, or suspicious? Being melancholic?

If so, those traits belong to the category where all people reside, in part, and I'm sure you can guess which. When you've come to resent nothing, desire nothing, and judge nothing falsely, accept all things as necessary and inevitable, then we can decide how to proceed from there.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join