It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side Beckons...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   
It's becoming increasingly difficult to fight the allure of the dark side and find satisfaction in doing the right thing. What used to be a clear-cut, simple decision has transformed into a complex ambivalent process. What is righteous, what is good, what is bad and what is evil? What was once easily discernible has become more intricate and convoluted. What was once separated by thick boarders of distinction has become more flexible, thin overlapping lines of confusion.

As times goes by, the inclination to be righteous becomes weaker, and the tendency to give into actions that lead to selfish gain is stronger. Then again, the lines that separate the selfish from the selfless grow thinner as well. Why did you give money to that homeless person? Why did you pick up a friend at the airport and drive them home? Why did you help your kid with their homework?

Do most people do something nice with the expectation that in some capacity they will be rewarded? I believe so. Just think about anything you have done recently that you would consider nice or selfless. What compelled you to perform this action? Was it purely for the welfare of another organism, or were there hidden, selfish motives at play?

Are we being tested? Will you hang on to that small beam of righteousness within you and shield yourself against becoming that which you once despised? Will you fight the temptation to lie, cheat, steal and take advantage of others? Will you side with the light no matter the circumstances surrounding you?

Have I turned to the Dark Side?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Easy test. Hold the door open for someone. How does that make you feel?

Don't hold the door for someone? How about now?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Or pretend to open the door and close it at the last minute or a lift do the same don't hold it open let it shut.
We all have our dark side moments but we can be both a little dark and a little light I sway more to the light and so should everyone but as long as the dark side isn't too dark in you and you murder or hurt folk I think it is all good.
I'm a grey jedi.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   

I do think everyone has their price though to do something really evil we may think we would never do something but the power of want (the dark side) is strong.
Heck go for it OP embrace the dark side feeeeelll it's power!.
edit on 3-11-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Is "how we feel" after performing an action a measurement of the morality of the action, though?

edit on 3/11/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

It's just a moral compass check. I don't know where the spedometer pegs out.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I think it is to do with our social evolution we need to be around people normally and If we do good to each other we don't get shunned and we have empathy which means we can put ourselves in each others shoes.
It does feel good to help people I do a job that is in care and It feels great sometimes to help people less fortunate than I to live a full life.
Like any job though you can have pride in doing a good job, it does make us feel good.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
It's just a moral compass check. I don't know where the spedometer pegs out.

I see, but isn't it a somewhat faulty moral compass check?

There are many actions we can perform that will leave us feeling good after, but which we or others later judge as being morally bankrupt.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom
I do think everyone has their price though to do something really evil we may think we would never do something but the power of want (the dark side) is strong.
Heck go for it OP embrace the dark side feeeeelll it's power!.

The thing is I don't want to be a bad person and do bad things. I don't want to harm or mistreat others, or take advantage of them.

But what I am trying to figure out is why. Why do I not want to embrace the dark side? Why do I not want to do things that will bring me selfish gain?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Life doesn't care if you're a good person or not; only you and a few people in your life really care. If you want to spend a little time on 'the dark side' it might do you some good. I don't mean criminal, super shady stuff, but if you want to be a bit selfish and maybe a turd with some people, it's cool.

Being good for the sake of being good has less value than being good because you prefer it to the 'dark side.' Gotta go dark to explore where your natural morality, empathy and righteousness stands.

Let's put it in perspective? If you were a total arse, evil villain it would have come out already. If you're type of guy who uses both armrests in the cinema and feels remorseful...join the club - most people are the same.

But what I am trying to figure out is why. Why do I not want to embrace the dark side? Why do I not want to do things that will bring me selfish gain?

I believe it's hard-wired into our genetics and reinforced by our intellect and upbringing.

edit on 11.3.2016 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Because you are human and generally we are good folk.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Lack of egoism?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

“Fear is the path to the dark side.
Fear leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.”

“The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.”

Yoda . Heed the words

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
You sound a long way from the dark side, more on the lighter shades of grey as you seek questions, reasons and direction rather than letting the hate, anger and greed drive your actions.

Just what is right or wrong is not always clear cut in this complex world. Some times we do have to cross the line to find where it is.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

If you have principles/ a set of personal guidelines / rules, stick to those. You'll be fine.

And really, that's all you can do. Whether other people understand them or not shouldn't be relevant to you.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I think most people don't do it with the thought that "I will feel good and pleased with myself if I help this person" I think that generally most people tend to be helpful or have good intentions without any expectations..at least from my experiences.

Just think about anything you have done recently that you would consider nice or selfless. What compelled you to perform this action? Was it purely for the welfare of another organism, or were there hidden, selfish motives at play?

I was coming home from work and it was very hot outside and I saw a homeless man near sitting in the sun near the supermarket I was going.
I thought to myself man if I was sitting in the sun all day like he was I could sure use some cold drinks..and (I know I'm a horrible person) I bought him some cold beers.
It was ''purely for the welfare of another organism'' without any "hidden, selfish motives at play".

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

Perhaps your evolutionary history.

Had you been the person you clearly are not and conscious to avoid, where would human society be? If everyone acted in their own self interests all the time, I reckon we would have died out tens of thousands of years ago.

Instead, we recognised that, more often than not, positive and helpful actions towards others meant the same could be expected and helps to create a sense of union, belonging and societal bonding during a time period when we knew nothing and practically everything could kill us with lifespans of up to the mid 20s if we were lucky.

That behaviour, I suspect, has carried down to what normal people call morality, ethics and, to an extent, altruistic behaviour.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

If you're about to do something and you're not sure if it's the right thing to do, just ask yourself "would I want someone to do this to me"?.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think there is a fantastic middle ground where we can have both self interest and philanthropy, have both kindness and strength, understand our darker nature and channel it in a more positive direction.

Denying that self interest and darkness only feeds it until it becomes too large and overwhelming.

Just thoughts.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Isn't being on the Dark about being attached to ideals or absolutes and survival of the strong, rather then performing acts of common courtesy.

Sure do unto other as you'd do unto yourself applies, but why does the light side have to always constantly struggle such claims to virtue while the dark make no such claim at all. Would it be a surge of ego to have something they'd like or deserve for a change? Is it that growing want that make them prey for it.

Maybe the ideal of being rewarded for such acts is the start much like religion. Your only doing it cause you ( not you you) are expecting something.

Me personally I think it only 5 to ten moments in our life that define us rather then every moment.

edit on 3-11-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join