It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Does "time" really exist?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadCat
a reply to: alphabetaone

This shows the larger mass in question. It shows how the larger mass creates a sort of indentation on the space-time fabric.

The bend that is shown, is what creates the illusion of "attraction."

In reality, it is not a type of attraction in the commonly accepted sense of attraction. The space along which objects travel is being curved due to the mass. But the mass itself is not actually creating the attraction.

Similarly, in the case of a black hole.

It is not literally a black hole.. There is a very dense and small object in the middle, not deep within it. But this mass causes an indentation in space time that is so large, we see it as a giant hole.

Does there ever exist a measurable difference in density with two objects that appear to be made of the same materials? Or, is gravity uniform base on the type of mass making up an object's composition? I imagine the simple answer is of course yes. But reality always turns out to be much stranger than anything we could have ever imagined.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: DeadCat

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: muzzleflash
a reply to: dfnj2015

Good topic.

Time does not exist literally as it is an arbitrary form of measurement.
In fact, I'd even say length width and height do not exist either.

Do meters exist?
Do liters exist?
Do grams exist?

No, they are abstract conceptualizations that we devised in order to quantify things.
It is a system we created.

Time is exactly like this. Arbitrary and abstract - though it can be applied with specificity and to be exact.
Can something be subjective and objective at the same time?

Yes time exists even before man was in the planet events happen. Time us just a measurement of events if we aply clock as a means to measure. But the events still happen. We can call them anything and set any length of these units to measure events but the events still happen. So time exists regardless of something is there to measure it.

You have just said "Change exist without time" Time is not crucial for existence.

Time only exist when something is there to measure the change that is happening.

So the universe as it exists today just happened instantaneously until we decided one day its 13.8 billion years old? Interesting concept.

An omnipotent God can create the Universe in any amount of time including all the fake carbon dating and fossil evidence. In fact, an omnipotent God could have created the Universe one minute ago with all your fake memories.

So relax, there's nothing to fear or be threaten from by science. The creationists can always be right and win if they just have enough faith in God.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

originally posted by: OpenMindedPhilosopher
Of course time exists and no it is not a "construct of human blah blah" . If humans existed or not...it would still take time for things in the universe to happen. The universe has an age. It takes time for planets to move through 3 dimensional space. Light travels at a certain speed. You can't have speed without TIME. I could go on and on really.

But do time and speed exist without an observer? Think about it. If there is no subject around to measure it, does it exist?

That's the crux of the whole argument. We are made of the very stuff we are experiencing. Without the Universe experiencing itself then time really does not exist. There is no point of subjective reference to make a difference. Just because we imagine time exists does not mean it does exist. Without an observer, all you have is the potential for time to exist.
edit on 3-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2016 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpenMindedPhilosopher
Of course time exists and no it is not a "construct of human blah blah" . If humans existed or not...it would still take time for things in the universe to happen. The universe has an age. It takes time for planets to move through 3 dimensional space. Light travels at a certain speed. You can't have speed without TIME. I could go on and on really.

I think it's the measurement units that are the human construct, not the premise of an elapsed cycle. Could be that there are other off-world cultures that wear watches whose measurements are in nano-seconds or light speed, what have you. Our measurement of it is our construct, which due to technical limitations cannot be enhanced but I believe is not nearly accurate enough.

Also, reading between the lines and what I can garner from a majority of the posts is that the word "illusion" is taking on a more surreal meaning than simple sleight of hand type illusion. Some people (myself included) tend to compartmentalize certain words into a neat little package of genres...in this case I often see the word illusion as trickery or in a negative light and rarely associate it with my senses not being able to comprehend the reality of what is happening.

Given the above, time itself CAN be considered an illusion, only if because we are not necessarily capable of registering all the various measurements that could possibly exist for it.
edit on 3-11-2016 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
You're moving. So therefore time exists.

If you actually check it out - you never move!
The scenery is moving but what you are never moves.

This is why there is no time - because you are always now and it is always now. Now is constantly appearing different.

edit on 3-11-2016 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
To me time is just the rate of change in energy and matter. And the rate can change depending of the state of the matter, velocity, gravity etc.

Also without any change/movement, you don't have time. Imagine a universe with just one particle, nothing else. The particle is just one unit that never change, decay or move relative to anything else. So no "time".

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

This is why there is no time - because you are always now and it is always now. Now is constantly appearing different.

The scenery, which can be perceived as real or imaginary, is in constant motion as science observes that all molecules are in constant motion. So if this is an illusion, then some of us would be capable of stopping the constant motion of molecules, but we can not.
edit on 3-11-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Yes, time is real! It is measurable scientifically... it is measured by the decay rate of the cesium 137 atom. There are several atomic clocks around the earth that all are measuring time.. although elevation changes at each site seems to effect the measurements due to gravitational forces.. (gravitational time dilation). m.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Alright guys,

Time can be explained as follows,

From our linear experience, our linear perspective, time exists. We create a connected continuity to other realities that simultaneously co-exist that we call 'the past', that we call 'the future'. But all these realities exist right now. Everything exists right now, all at once.

Everything hasnt happenned, everything is 'happening' right now.

credit to Bashar, www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Nice to see that so many people have already worked it out. Time only exist because of movement.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Tbh, I'm not a physicists man, I have no legitimate background in any above high-school education.

I merely surf the web for the answers to my curiosities. Not even sure what you are asking, but Google is too legit to quit when it comes to the plethora of information that is humbly provided at our finger tips, especially regarding particle physics, time, reality, ect!

edit on 3-11-2016 by DeadCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: xSYLENTJAYx

You do not measure time, you use time to measure movement or change.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Now Is relative there is no such thing as now. Now to one person can be another's past or future. The observer determines now based off there observations. However there is still cause and effect. You can't have an effect before cause unless you can time travel.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Time is a really strange idea... Time seems to be purely a human construct and does not really exist in reality.

Without time, how could you tell who won a NASCAR race? Without time, they would all reach the finish line at the same time.

Time is a measurement of movement.

Think about it.

No hurry, take your time.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Time is a perception, an illusion based on our ability to perceive the change between the present moment and the memory of what it used to be.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

The scenery, which can be perceived as real or imaginary, is in constant motion as science observes that all molecules are in constant motion. So if this is an illusion, then some of us would be capable of stopping the constant motion of molecules, but we can not.

No one said the motion was an illusion.
I said that what you are is not moving!

Any comments on the statement - you never move?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Now Is relative there is no such thing as now. Now to one person can be another's past or future. The observer determines now based off there observations. However there is still cause and effect. You can't have an effect before cause unless you can time travel.

When is it not now in your experience?
Everywhere in the universe it is now now!

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Are you suggesting life is like a video game? Where everything moves around the specific character you happen to be logged in on? Cus I can't even imagine what other things would need to be said in order to validate this concept.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   

You have it backwards you couldn't stand still even if you want to. You are constantly in motion in fact multiple directions at once. In fact this is one reason I don't believe you can go back in time. Say you went back 100 years that earth would be light years away from where we are now. If you went back from now the earth wouldn't be there.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr
When you are sat in a car driving - are you moving? Or is the scenery moving?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join