It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

F.I.F.A. Cannot Ban The Poppy Being Worn On Football Shirts.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I think you are totally confused,

The F.I.F.A World cup follows the Rules Of The Game as stated here in section 9.

9 Laws of the Game 1. All matches shall be played in accordance with the Laws of the Game in force at the time of the competition and as laid down by the International Football Association Board. In the case of any discrepancy in the interpretation of the Laws of the Game, the English version shall be authoritative

www.fifa.com...

The Laws of the game are the codified rules as stated here.

The Laws of the Game[1] are the codified rules that help define association football.They are the only rules of association football subscribed to by the sport's governing body FIFA. The laws mention the number of players a team should have, the game length, the size of the field and ball, the type and nature of fouls that referees may penalise, the frequently misinterpreted offside law, and many other laws that define the sport. During a match, it is the task of the referee to interpret and enforce the Laws of the Game

en.wikipedia.org...(association_football)

As i have already explained The Laws Of The Game are drawn up by F.I.F.A and the Four Home Nations.

Who ever told you The F.I.F.A World Cup make the rules is talking out their arse.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

The F.I.F.A World cup follows the Rules Of The Game as stated here in section 9.

9 Laws of the Game 1. All matches shall be played in accordance with the Laws of the Game in force at the time of the competition and as laid down by the International Football Association Board. In the case of any discrepancy in the interpretation of the Laws of the Game, the English version shall be authoritative

www.fifa.com...

The Laws of the game are the codified rules as stated here.

The Laws of the Game[1] are the codified rules that help define association football.They are the only rules of association football subscribed to by the sport's governing body FIFA. The laws mention the number of players a team should have, the game length, the size of the field and ball, the type and nature of fouls that referees may penalise, the frequently misinterpreted offside law, and many other laws that define the sport. During a match, it is the task of the referee to interpret and enforce the Laws of the Game

en.wikipedia.org...(association_football)

As i have already explained The Laws Of The Game are drawn up by F.I.F.A and the Four Home Nations.

Who ever told you The F.I.F.A World Cup make the rules is talking out their arse.

Can you show me where in the laws of the game it says how many teams are in each group at the world cup? Or how seeding works in the champions league?

Individual tournaments can have their own rules as long as they dint conflict with the basic laws of the game.

I agree that FIFA are morally wrong here but it is their tournament so that their rules.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

No, you are the one not understanding what I mean.

Sure it does, but the Laws of the Game allow for specific rules added for specific competitions.

The Laws of the Game, for example, do not state that only European teams can enter the Euro cup. The Laws of the Game are the basic rules, others can be added for specific competitions.

Nobody told me that, and I'm not saying that World Cup has its own version of football, what I'm saying is that FIFA, UEFA or any other organisation that organises a competition can add their own rules to the basic rules stated on the Laws of the Game.

PS: if you read my previous post you can even see that the Laws of the Game say that political statements are not allowed on the shirts.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I

The Laws of the Game are the basic rules, others can be added for specific competitions

No they can't. If you think they can then please add a link to clarify this. I think you will be having a wasted effort in finding one.

F.I.F.A. has suggested making rule changes previously, but they can't without the vote of a lease 2 of The Home Nations.

Keep in mind that any changes to the Laws of the Game require the approval of the International Football Association Board (IFAB), in which FIFA is just one of six voting members.

bleacherreport.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

No they can't. If you think they can then please add a link to clarify this. I think you will be having a wasted effort in finding one.

Decision 2
In matches played in an official competition organised under the auspices of FIFA, the confederations or the member associations, no form of commercial advertising on the ball is permitted, except for the emblem of the competition, the competition organiser and the authorised trademark of the manufacturer.
The competition regulations may restrict the size and number of such markings.

Official competitions
Up to a maximum of three substitutes may be used in any match played in an official competition organised under the auspices of FIFA, the confederations or the member associations.
The rules of the competition must state how many substitutes may be nominated, from three up to a maximum of seven.

This one is not really an added rule, but it shows that the competition organisers have some liberty to do what they want.

Decision 1
Players must not reveal undergarments showing slogans or advertising. The basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal statements.
A player removing his jersey or shirt to reveal slogans or advertising will be sanctioned by the competition organiser. The team of a player whose basic compulsory equipment has political, religious or personal slogans or statements will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.

Periods of play
The match lasts two equal periods of 45 minutes, unless otherwise mutually agreed between the referee and the two teams. Any agreement to alter the duration of the periods of play (e.g. to reduce each half to 40 minutes because of insufficient light) must be made before the start of play and must comply with competition rules.

Half-time interval
Players are entitled to an interval at half-time.
The half-time interval must not exceed 15 minutes.
Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval.
The duration of the half-time interval may be altered only with the consent of the referee.

Abandoned match
An abandoned match is replayed unless the competition rules provide otherwise.

Extra time
Competition rules may provide for two further equal periods, not exceeding 15 minutes each, to be played. The conditions of Law 8 will apply.

the number of persons permitted to occupy the technical area is defined by the competition rules

Minimum number of players
If the rules of a competition state that all of the players and substitutes must be named before kick-off and a team begins a match with fewer than 11 players, only the players named in the starting line-up may complete the 11 upon their arrival.

As I was saying, competition rules can be added to the basic Laws of the Game.

F.I.F.A. has suggested making rule changes previously, but they can't without the vote of a lease 2 of The Home Nations.

FIFA has 4 votes in the IFAB, so I suppose only one Home Nation's vote is enough.

INTERNATIONAL FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION BOARD (IFAB)
Members: The Football Association
The Scottish Football Association
The Football Association of Wales
Irish Football Association
(1 vote each)

Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
(4 votes)

Edited to add the link, as I forgot it.
www.fifa.com...
edit on 3/11/2016 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I think you have shot yourself in the foot.

The Rules you have posted are the rules set out by The International Football Association Board, which is what i have being telling you all along.

Your link.
www.fifa.com...

Individual Football Competitions cannot set their own or adjust or amend the rules. If they could then players would not have a clue as to what is going on. In a nutshell, there are ONE SET OF RULES for all competitions.

FIFA has 4 votes in the IFAB, so I suppose only one Home Nation's vote is enough.

No. For rule changes to occur the vote has to be by a two thirds majority. Therefore 2 of The Home Nations need to agree.

FIFA alone cannot change the Laws of the Game—they need to be agreed by at least two of the UK members. As of 2016, all members must be present for a binding vote to proceed.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

This finally ends this debate.

edit on 4-11-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Not really, as according to this , that "Easter Uprising" shirt was allowed by the Football Association of Ireland for two friendly games, in preparation for the Euro 2016.

Well at long last F.I.F.A. are taking action against The Football Association Of Ireland for their " Easter Uprising Logo".

Only after The English F.A. bought it to their attention of course.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

So are you accepting now that FIFA can ban the wearing of poppies?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

So are you accepting now that FIFA can ban the wearing of poppies?

F.I.F.A can ban nothing. They don't make the rules. Their role is as organisers.

The rules are made by The International Association Football Board.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

The Rules you have posted are the rules set out by The International Football Association Board, which is what i have being telling you all along.

Yes, the problem is not what rules we have been talking about, the problem is the interpretation of the rules.

Individual Football Competitions cannot set their own or adjust or amend the rules.

They can, as the Laws of the Game state so, as in the case below.

Half-time interval
Players are entitled to an interval at half-time.
The half-time interval must not exceed 15 minutes.
Competition rules must state the duration of the half-time interval.
The duration of the half-time interval may be altered only with the consent of the referee.

The Laws of the Game state the maximum duration of the half-time interval, but they do not state a minimum duration, instead they state that rules of the competition must state the duration, that must be shorter than 15 minutes.

If they could then players would not have a clue as to what is going on. In a nutshell, there are ONE SET OF RULES for all competitions.

That's where your thinking is wrong, you are thinking about basic rules, not about the non-basic rules, like the duration of the half-time interval in the example above.

It's obvious that no competition may change the basic rules, otherwise they wouldn't be playing football, but as the people that wrote the Laws of the Game understand that different competitions may have different conditions they allow for some liberty in the non-basic rules, the rules that do not really change the game itself.

No. For rule changes to occur the vote has to be by a two thirds majority. Therefore 2 of The Home Nations need to agree.

Yes, that makes sense.

This finally ends this debate.

Only if you accept that the organisers of a competition can change some rules.

PS: as I see it, the Laws of the Game act as a kind of a country's constitution, they set the basic laws that all people must follow and the rules that other laws must follow. A constitution doesn't speak specifically about how much people have to pay for income tax, for example, but may say that the government is authorized to create and apply taxes.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

FIFA enforce the rules, the rules state that political symbols are not allowed, FIFA say the poppy is a political symbol, FIFA ban wearing the poppy during game.

Seems quite straight forward and the basic premise of your OP was clearly wrong. Your own links confirm this.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

England, Scotland and possibly Wales are going to wear the poppy despite what FIFA say.

My opinion.

England Scotland and Wales have always towed the line with FIFA. On this occasion there not going to. I believe they will see how FIFA react and then challenge it through the courts.

You heard it here first.

posted on Nov, 13 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
So, what happened?

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
So, what happened?

Both England and Scottish players wore their poppy armbands for the match.

According to Sky News, we could be fined...
news.sky.com...

Or Metro, we could be docked points...
metro.co.uk...

I personally think nothing will happen but don't rule it out.
These things can drag on for a while.

Oh and England won 3-0

edit on 83140bAmerica/ChicagoMon, 14 Nov 2016 12:40:46 -06003016 by 83Liberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Isnt the pin of the poppy considered a health risk? Pro footie can get rough, i wouldnt want a sharp pin adjacent to my chest.

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

Isnt the pin of the poppy considered a health risk? Pro footie can get rough, i wouldnt want a sharp pin adjacent to my chest.

It's an armband with a poppy what looks to be stuck on. No pin involved.
www.google.co.uk... 746

posted on Nov, 14 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 83Liberty

oh my mistake.... in that case they should weaar it... for sure!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join