It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F.I.F.A. Cannot Ban The Poppy Being Worn On Football Shirts.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I have done some research and i find that F.I.F.A. has no authority to ban the wearing or showing The Poppy On Football Shirts.

The International Football Association Board are the body that determine the laws of Association Football.

The body is made up of 8 members. 4 members are from F.I.F.A and the other 4 members are one each from The English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish Associations. The last four are " The Home Countries "

FIFA's approval is necessary for any IFAB decision, but FIFA alone cannot change the Laws of the Game—they need to be agreed by at least two of the UK members. As of 2016, all members must be present for a binding vote to proceed.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

One section under The Laws Of Association Football covers The Kit that is worn

en.wikipedia.org...(association_football)

en.wikipedia.org...(association_football)

For any law to be passed it has to have at least 6 members vote for it. As the English, Welsh and Scottish Members want to wear The Poppy on their shirts, then F.I.F.A could not win the vote.
edit on 2-11-2016 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I would like it if you were correct, but in the link you provided it states that individual competitions may impose further restrictions on the kit worn.

FIFA are being d*cks but they know their own rule book.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Have FIFA really articulated in any sensible way, why they wont allow the players to wear the poppy, it is used as symbol in remembering the fallen, not some jingoistic victory.

Its about coming together as a community, its not excluding anyone, what political point is being made? That they (FIFA) take exception too?

Is the poppy a political symbol?

Is that the social consensus view of the poppy, or is this to do with fringe ideologues, barking at the trees, and those that pander to them.

SMH

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What a disgrace

The Fifa official enforcing a ban on England and Scotland players wearing poppies during an Armistice Day football match is a Senegalese bureaucrat brought in to make the scandal-hit organisation look more transparent

Samoura sparked anger among some in Fifa when she was parachuted into the £1million-a-year role by the organisation's new president Gianni Infantino in May.

She was handed the Secretary General position despite having no real experience in handling sport, having previously worked in a humanitarian role at the UN.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Hey FIFA, political symbol my arse. I suggest you pull your collective heads out of yours and see below :-

FA and SFA, i say F**k FIFA and wear them anyway

edit on 2016-11-02T12:32:13-05:002016Wed, 02 Nov 2016 12:32:13 -0500bWednesday3211America/Chicago1612 by corblimeyguvnor because: typo .... again!

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I hope you're right mate, FiFa seems out of control on the issue

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
According to the Daily Mail, the person behind the ban is a 'Senegalese pen-pusher', FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura. Samoura was brought in by new Fifa president Gianni Infantino. She was handed the Secretary General position (£1mil a year salary) despite having no real experience in handling sport, having previously worked in a humanitarian role at the UN.

Samoura, who has a degree in English and Spanish from the University of Lyon, started working for the UN's Food Programme in 1995. She was later sent around the world to work for the organisation before becoming a humanitarian administrator in Nigeria. Five months after taking her role at Fifa and promising a 'fresh approach', she will now have to take a view on whether it should impose its poppy ban on England, Scotland and Wales, who also to wear armbands during their game against Serbia in Cardiff on November 12

Source:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

I like Teresa May's comment at Prime Minister's Questions..

I think the stance that has been taken by Fifa is utterly outrageous. Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security. I think it is absolutely right that they should be able to do so. It's a matter for the English and Scottish Football Associations, but there is a clear message from the House of Commons that we want our players to be able to wear those poppies. Before they start telling us what to do, they jolly well ought to sort their own house out.

edit on 83132bAmerica/ChicagoWed, 02 Nov 2016 13:32:31 -05003016 by 83Liberty because: tidyup

Edit2: Sorry just realised stonerwilliam has already posted some of this info!
edit on 83136bAmerica/ChicagoWed, 02 Nov 2016 13:36:05 -05003016 by 83Liberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Why dont we let the players decide if they wish to wear the poppy or not. Celtic FC just had a fine of £8k from UEFA because a section of the fans displayed Palestinian flags in a game against Israeli team Hapoel tel aviv. The Celtic fans in anticipation of the fine did a Go fund me fundraiser for the people of palestine and this was the result.. matchthefineforpalestine.... All monies will be split between a few charities over there.

I'm pretty sure any fine imposed on players or their FA's would be a minimum compared to the money that floats about football these day. Hell, I'm pretty sure if someone started a go fund me fundraiser in anticipation of the FIFA fine with all monies going to charities invovled in the poppy campaign the british legion would do very well out of it.

edit on 2-11-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

They won't impose a fine they will dock points which could make the difference between going to the World Cup or not.

FIFA once again shows how out of touch it is regardless of who is heading the den of iniquity.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
looks like they are going to wear the poppies and take any censure including point deductions from FIFA

Engl and will have poppies at Wembley despite Fifa ban, says FA chairman

England players will wear poppies when they play Scotland on Remembrance Sunday next week despite a Fifa regulation banning them from doing so, hopes the chairman of the Football Association Greg Clarke. Mr Clarke told ITV that there are plans in place for the England players to wear poppies, with the 2018 World Cup qualifier due to take place on Armistice Day next Friday, and confirmed that regardless of the ongoing talks with Fifa over wearing the tribute, there will be a visible presence of poppies inside the stadium.

edit on 2-11-2016 by CatandtheHatchet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Soloprotocol

They won't impose a fine they will dock points which could make the difference between going to the World Cup or not.

FIFA once again shows how out of touch it is regardless of who is heading the den of iniquity.

It will be a fine and a very small one at that. Wayne Rooney could pay it fom his loose change ffs.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Anyway. Why is there such a clamour to wear a poppy at sporting venues these days. I cartainly cant remember it being such and issue in the past. This is a fairly new phenomenon. I'm sure it used to called the Earl Haig Fund...Remember Haig.???
Only in the UK could we allow a imbecile to sends millions to there deaths then have a charity named after him.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
A case of double standards and yet more anti-British agenda from F.I.F.A.

In March of this year The Irish Republic where given the ok for their National Football Team to wear an emblem on their shirts commemorating The Easter Uprising ( shown below )

I hope England, Scotland and Wales put 2 fingers up to the toss pots in Zurich.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Latest news.

England and Scotland could face a points deduction if they defy a Fifa ban on players wearing poppies when the teams meet on Armistice Day.

Football Association chief executive Martin Glenn said both FAs will defy the ban and accept any punishment.
www.bbc.co.uk...

That's the spirit.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
A case of double standards and yet more anti-British agenda from F.I.F.A.

Not really, as according to this , that "Easter Uprising" shirt was allowed by the Football Association of Ireland for two friendly games, in preparation for the Euro 2016.

UEFA, the organisation behind the Euro 2016 doesn't allow "political, religious or personal slogans", so they couldn't use those shirts during the Euro.

As for your opening post, the World Cup is organised by FIFA, so they really are the ones that make the rules for that event.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Instead of wearing them on the shirts maybe they should just have a accidental fly by..

Who in their right mind thought this would be a good idea...seriously.???
This is why i wont ever wear a Poppy again. It's no longer about remembering the fallen. It's a brainwashing exercise. This is how your government tricks you into believing that War is ok and we should support the troop no matter what...well # that. Sick bastards.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

the World Cup is organised by FIFA, so they really are the ones that make the rules for that event

No, F.I.F.A. do not make the rules for The World Cup.

The rules are made by The International Football Association Board. That's why it incorporates the word " International "
As i have stated previously the board is made up of 8 members. 4 from F.I.F.A and one each from the 4 " Home Countries...........England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

In FIFA World Cup years, the AGM is held at FIFA's offices; otherwise, it rotates between Northern Ireland, Wales, England and Scotland in that order.[4] Four weeks before the AGM, the member associations must send their written proposals to the secretary of the host association. FIFA then prints a list of suggestions that are distributed to all other associations for examination

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The world has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Telling soccer players they can't wear a small little symbol on their jerseys to honour their fallen great-grandfathers, grandfathers, fathers, brothers, uncles, neighbours, and friends ?!

On a day that we're all suppose to pause and reflect to do just that ?!

Ugh.

Absolutely disgusting corporate corrupted bastards to the enth degree, the whole lot of them.

Apologies for ranting in your thread, alldaylong.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
No, F.I.F.A. do not make the rules for The World Cup.

Really? The FIFA doesn't make the rules of their own events?

The rules are made by The International Football Association Board. That's why it incorporates the word " International "

You do know what the "I" stands for in FIFA, don't you?

In the Laws of the game we can see that specific competitions may have different rules, added to the basic "laws of the game".

Also, we can read things like this:

Decisions of the International F.A. Board

Decision 1
Players must not reveal undergarments showing slogans or advertising. The basic compulsory equipment must not have any political, religious or personal statements.
A player removing his jersey or shirt to reveal slogans or advertising will be sanctioned by the competition organiser. The team of a player whose basic compulsory equipment has political, religious or personal slogans or statements will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Found this today..

I am not a symbol to be taken for a fool,
I am not a recruitment prop to entice the 'future soldier' still at play in school.

I am not a symbol of war to be painted on a jet,
I am not a warmonger to bomb innocent Arab children dead or limbless to live with my ignorant unseen regret.

I am not a tool to browbeat those with a different view,
I am not your 'patriot' to force others to see and do things as you do.

I am not your football to be kicked across the corrupt established powers divides,
I am not yours to entrench whilst FIFA, Maggie May, the BBC and Daily Mail decides.

I might be the symbol of the abject poor led by Masters teachings to my darkest personal hell,
But I know I've become the annual decoy for Governments to ignore me all year round whilst their entitled riches they live and their perpetual bloody glories tell.

Johnny.

(I put this together after seeing these troubling photos but also reading a wonderful poem that aligned with the original and honourable intentions that commemorate Remembrance Day. But as an ex-Squaddie, I've become acutely aware that the Poppy, the symbol of our fallen from across these islands, is being 'weaponised' by those wishing to abuse its traditional meaning for their own ends. This is my response).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join