It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEVER-EVER Talk To The Police

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: seasonal

"NEVER-EVER Talk To The Police"

Should be instilled into every child at an early age.

Short of murder or sexual assault there really is no need to talk to these fools who have there own agenda at play and generally don't even fully understand the laws they are supposedly trying to uphold.

Nope, most cops I have met understand the laws that they enforce. They may not agree with them, but they understand them. They were not hired to like the laws, simply to enforce them.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
When read your Miranda rights it should be a recorded audio statement with YOUR voice saying" yes I understand or no I don't. If that isn't made available at court......dismissed. Any cop can say " I read him his rights" I would imagine if the cop aint a total arse-wipe with the courts ,then the judge gonna believe the cop. I've been arrested, I was not read my Miranda rights......and no one gave a shat except me. I agree you have the right to remain silent....exercise it.

Did they question you?

Miranda are only required to be read if: 1) the suspect is detained, AND 2) the suspect is questioned. If either 1 or 2 is not present, then rights must be read. Personally, I read them for anything more serious than traffic (including DUIs), just to be on the safe side.

And yes, exercise your right to say nothing.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

And just for s**ts and giggles, you do understand that anything said to law enforcement prior to have your Miranda Rights read to you is inadmissible in court, right? They can act on the statements to further investigate things, but they cannot use your actual statements as evidence against you.

This is not true; if you volunteer information, it can be used in court. And as I've already stated, a cop can ask you questions all day and use your responses without reading Miranda, as long as you were not detained.

Now; if while answering those questions, you say something incriminating . . . I recommend immediately asking for your lawyer. A good one will be able to argue that you did not believe that you were free to go (and thus detained) and get you off for lack of Miranda.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Is asking for a lawyer in America regarded as an admission of guilt or is only regarded as suspicious behviour?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Had many a jolly jape and chat with our police.
Best one was when a girl I knew got pulled over with myself and two other very very drunk lads in the car and he looked the spit of Bill Clinton we laughed a lot....been saved a few times also when I have been drunk and duffed up and left asleep in a park...got a lift home from them after they laughed a lot at me.
Nah treat coppers alright and they will treat you alright in my experience.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Maybe we just encountered different Police.

Opinion after all is rather a fickle beast.

edit on 3-11-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

Is asking for a lawyer in America regarded as an admission of guilt or is only regarded as suspicious behviour?

Most cops regard it as suspicious, but no . . . only an admission of guilt is an admission of guilt. Wait, no . . . pleading the 5th is in a way an admission of guilt because you are saying "I will not incriminate myself (or spouse)."

This is why I said if you regularly commit crimes, always ask for a lawyer. That way the cops get used to this reaction from you and do not automatically assume guilt on your part.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
As a rule I have two things I say when dealing with officers: Nothing and I don't know. This is of course dependent upon the nature of the conversation taking place. In some cases it is best to just tell them what they want to hear.

You must have a lot of dealings with police if you've made rules for yourself!

Seems odd so many here have put this much thought into it. How many of you are questioned by cops on a regular basis?

Try living outdoors...

Why would i love outdoors when i can live in my house?

You asked , snark...

How many of you are questioned by cops on a regular basis?

Well, if i was living on the streets, i would most likely have mental issues making it much more likely for me to commit crimes, intentional or not.

Lol are you fooled, the biggest crimes are committed by the richest, best dressed people.

Poor people are criminals... to them.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Lol are you fooled, the biggest crimes are committed by the richest, best dressed people.

You said it, and the laws bend to accommodate them.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
As a rule I have two things I say when dealing with officers: Nothing and I don't know. This is of course dependent upon the nature of the conversation taking place. In some cases it is best to just tell them what they want to hear.

You must have a lot of dealings with police if you've made rules for yourself!

Seems odd so many here have put this much thought into it. How many of you are questioned by cops on a regular basis?

Try living outdoors...

Why would i love outdoors when i can live in my house?

You asked , snark...

How many of you are questioned by cops on a regular basis?

Well, if i was living on the streets, i would most likely have mental issues making it much more likely for me to commit crimes, intentional or not.

Poor people are criminals... to them.

And what about me? A middle, middle class individual who lives in a house with his family.

It seems you are implying that living in a house is somehow wrong. You feeling OK? I mentioned nothing about the world wealthiest people, where did that come from? Of course they are the biggest criminals. Are we even talking about the same thing because toy seem to have gone waaaaaay off topic here.

edit on 3-11-2016 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
what about situations like this

them heavy equipment operators are aggressive the way they're throwing dirt around in the background?

seems like a court of law is too little too late, and here's your fee for trying my case?
thanks but no thanks.

it's a reservation that is designated as such, what's with the snakes of steel lining the boundary?
is this pipeline going to benefit those on the reservation?

since i risk trespassing on land i helped pay for btw,
what can i do that won't cause anyone harm?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Not if the volunteered information (prior to being read your MRs) is self-incriminating.

It's that whole 5th-amendment thing...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

You have a right to have a lawyer present during questioning--it's all in the Miranda-Rights script that must be read to you when you are being arrested/detained/questioned concerning your involvement in a crime.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Do they read you your rights for questioning?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I always remember this video when someone says "call the cops".

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

It's sad, I know the public can be violent and dealing with it/us is hard. The video shows the bad, I hope the bad is .01% or less.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

It's sad, I know the public can be violent and dealing with it/us is hard. The video shows the bad, I hope the bad is .01% or less.

I have 3 close relatives who are all police, one of them is a WSP. They are all 3 good ones. It is sad that just a few bad ones can create such a backlash against all of them.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Dad retired from LEO. He told me to go into another field.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Dad retired from LEO. He told me to go into another field.

(Had to eat dinner) Anyway, my dad retired from LEO after some 27 years. He told me to do something else because of the state of affairs between the public and the police. This was 1997ish. He said the public spits on you and there is domestic violence that should be taken care of differently and your hands are tied.

Back in the 1960's if you spit on a cop you were rolled hard, not shot, not put in the hospital, but enough so you wouldn't spit on a police officer again.

If you were beating your wife/girl friend, you were warned not to make them (police) come back again. If they did the you were brought out of town and rolled and told never to do it again or you will be going to jail.

If you were on the street corner on their beat and they knew you were up to no good. They would tell you to leave the area. If not, you guessed it rolled.

So that is how the deal used to work. Do you think it was safer in the 1960's and 1970's?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join