It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi Army Discovers US-Made Missiles in ISIS's Military Base in Mosul

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

It's more likely weapons given to moderate rebels who then either lost them while fighting or they ended up joining up with ISIS at some point.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
It's the fact these are fresh frontline weapons...

Umm you do know most weapons are IN SEALED CRATES and were captured when the Cowardly Iraqi army Fled the first time. SO they may be factory fresh but out of sealed cases that were already there. Now The Saudis are going behind our backs and re selling weapons i am sure too.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

What would y16.8 mean? Surely not 2016 August......... Right?

and what would /01 mean not 2001 right?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Agit8dChop

What would y16.8 mean? Surely not 2016 August......... Right?

and what would /01 mean not 2001 right?

They act liek they cant photoshop new numbers on these.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

i just down loaded a PDF thinking it would help. it did somewhat in that it states that the last two numbers are the Year packed.

7. CONCLUSION: Based upon the above sý;ccessful POP testing, the following UN POP symbol has been applied to the metal container in accordance with drawing 9331255. O 1A2/Y361Sr* Sa tUSAiODaAYD **Last two digits of year packed.

here is the link, warning it is a PDF,
dtic.mil...

so going by this, the date of package is 2001. so it might be from the iraqi army or elsewhere. one thing for sure it's not a fresh made stinger.

also thought i would post the UN pop symbol legend.
UN Specification Marking Guide

and from another link,

Packaging Group Level Equivalent
The letter X, Y, or Z indicates what packing group the package was tested to.
X = Packing Group I (Highest Degree of Danger)
Y = Packing Group II (Medium Degree of Danger)
Z = Packing Group III (Lowest Degree of Danger)
Under the regulations, if a packaging has been tested to the highest degree of danger, it may be appropriate to place materials in that packaging which have a lower hazard. Therefore, the following is also correct: X = Packing Group I, II, III Y = Packing Group II, III Z = Packing Group III

Year and Location of Manufacture Year of Manufacture - The marking must indicate the last two digits of the year of manufacture. (For example, 16 for 2016). Manufacture Location Country Symbol - The symbol of the country where the manufacturing took place must be listed in the mark. For packaging produced in the United States, the mark would show "USA".

UN Markings Guide - How to Read and Identify UN Packaging Codes

so going by the last one, best i can make it out

1A2 would mean
1 - Drums/Pails A - Steel 2 - Open Head (Removable Head)

Y16.8 would mean
Y = Packing Group II (Medium Degree of Danger) Solids 16.8= Gross Mass for Solids

S would mean,

01 would mean
Year of Manufacture 2001

the rest is the Location of Manufacture and Identification of the Manufacturer or Approval Agency

edit on 3-11-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

see my post on page two reply to yuppa. it is not a fresh frontline weapon.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

What's the source for this? I dont see any links...

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

those look more like tow tubes than stinger tubes. look up stingers and tows and notice the difference.

then there is this from 2014

U.S. officials with access to the latest U.S. intelligence on Iraq told Fox News it "appears likely/probable" that U.S.-made Stinger missiles have fallen into the hands of Sunni insurgents. It is possible that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) fighters acquired them from army bases they have taken over in recent days, the sources said. The Stinger missile is a shoulder-fired surface-to-air weapon that is used against aircraft. As ISIS forces have advanced through Iraq, concerns have increased that more U.S.-made weaponry could fall into the hands of the radical group. Iraqi intelligence officials said ISIS fighters managed to take control of two big weapons depots late last week holding some 400,000 items, including AK-47 rifles, rockets and rocket-propelled grenades, artillery shells and mortars. A quarter of the stockpiles were quickly sent to Syria in order to help the group's comrades there, they said. Also last week, according to a report from the West Point Combating Terrorism Center, the ISIS "now possesses scores of Iraqi military equipment originally provided by the United States, from Humvees and cargo vehicles to small arms." Fox News' Jennifer Griffin, Jonathan Wachtel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
US-made Stinger missiles have likely fallen into ISIS hands, officials say

then we have this that says it is a TOW. it is not a stinger.

Iraqi army has found a number of US-made anti-tank TOW missiles after capturing ISIS military base in al Shourah town in the South of Mosul region of Iraq.
BREAKING: US-MADE MISSILES WERE FOUND IN ISIS MILITARY BASE IN MOSUL

and another article, maybe the one in your OP.
Iraqi Army Discovers US-Made Missiles In ISIS’s Military Base In Mosul

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Sorry about that. I simply forgot to include the link.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

There is no mystery really, after all directly or indirectly, the U.S has armed and supplied ISIS.

That's pretty much a given.
edit on 4-11-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The latest reports I've heard on the battle for Mosul said that Iraqi/Kurdish forces have encountered relatively little opposition from ISIS. So far, the ISIS leaders are obeying orders from their CIA masters and retreating into Syria.

I hope Russia has bombers ready to blast these guys the moment they cross the border...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join