It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Google to Branch Into Television

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
In an ongoing effort to reach beyond the web, Google will be using its search engine technology to find images and information on television. The company based in Mountain View, California, is set to introduce its video searching service. It will operate in a separate index from its main search engine. It will scan images using the closed caption tags. The company began storing such information last month and it includes ABC, PBS, Fox News and C-SPAN.

story.news.yahoo.com
SAN FRANCISCO - Google Inc. is using its popular Internet search technology to find information and images broadcast on television, continuing a recent effort to extend its reach beyond the Web.

The Mountain View-based company planned to introduce the new video search service Tuesday in an index that will be operated separately from the market-leading search engine offered on its home page. The feature pinpoints content previously aired on a variety of television networks by scanning through the closed caption text that many programmers offer.

Google's index, which began storing information last month, includes programming from ABC, PBS, Fox News and C-SPAN.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Id sure love to see the storage facilities they are sporting. Google has been on a bit of a tear as of late in both stock price and marketing. No doubt this will prove to be popular for outlets like ATSNN who can now search for images to fit stories we post and the like. They are young, rich, and driven. This is exactly the forces that drove Microsoft to the position it is in now. It may not be too long before they are nipping at the heals of the software giant.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This reminds me of an art experiment that occoured earlier this year. The Exibition consisted of television screens displaying 24 hour cable news networks. Surrounding each television screen, were other screens that randomly selected words and used a Google image search to supplement the news broadcast. The images were sometimes relevant, and sometimes not. But, it was an interesting exercise in primitive computer intelligence. I wonder if the artist was involved in the development of Google's service. I can't remember the artist's name, but I'll post a link if I can find one.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I found the link:

www.boingboing.net...

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
While you're waiting for Google to deliver the actual video, you can use the service below to get results with actual clips:

www.blinkx.tv...

It works fairly well.

top topics

join