It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: butcherguy

This is another in the stories that we are seeing come out as an act of desperation by the Hillary camp.

The Shark I've chosen, swims in the direction I want to go.

If Hillary drops out, I will vote for someone other than Trump.

They are still pushing the Kremlin story... the NYT debunked it.... but Hillary's crew is still pushing it.
It is sad and desperate.

You choose when and when not to believe the NYT's?

Have American politicians (other) tried to influence foreign elections? Try that logic.

More like you do. You praise it until it says something you prefer not to believe seems to have been the point.
edit on 1-11-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Another decent piece for anyone actually interested in the topic here ...

Hidden behind the differences between Clinton and Trump is the worrying reality of what they both represent; the already present anti-democratic authoritarianism of the American political status quo. It is no secret that the US has a long history of overthrowing democracy when it serves its interests. Or that Clinton herself is guilty of supporting the coup in Honduras as well as being a key cheerleader for the disastrous Iraq invasion. This also speaks to a liberalism at home that is marked by mass incarceration, legalized torture and racially biased brutality. Reflected here is the profound authoritarianism plaguing contemporary American culture both within and beyond the political sphere.

Outside the heavily regulated political arena, Americans have little opportunity to legitimately practice democracy or democratic decision-making. Instead for the majority of citizens it is their boss and the demands of capital rather than voting or public deliberation that determine their everyday choices and long term fate.

Common Dreams - (Unashamedly Left Progressive Blog)

As I suggested earlier in this thread when the Trumpeters inevitably did the "but Hillary" schtick ... they're both authoritarians. As is anyone else in government or who wants to be in government.

Being in politics (basically at any level) reflect desires to hold "power over" others. To my mind, this is an innately psychotic position for the vast majority of humanity (some few are genuinely "wired" for leadership positions).

Our strengths as a species have arisen from our ability to COOPERATE with each other in COMMUNITY.

The hierarchies that authoritarians or "Great Men (or Women)" create around them ... governments, religions, many corporations ... are not intended to benefit anyone but the "Leader" and those special few who "earn" that figure's favor.

At any rate ... the article provides another slightly more "leftist" perspective on the same issues as the OP. I'd be glad to see actual discussion (or debate or analysis) on either source.
edit on 1-11-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This is another in the stories that we are seeing come out as an act of desperation by the Hillary camp.

The Shark I've chosen, swims in the direction I want to go.

If Hillary drops out, I will vote for someone other than Trump.

They are still pushing the Kremlin story... the NYT debunked it.... but Hillary's crew is still pushing it.
It is sad and desperate.

You choose when and when not to believe the NYT's?

Have American politicians (other) tried to influence foreign elections? Try that logic.

More like you do. You praise it until it says something you prefer not to believe seems to have been the point.

Did you really just do the "I know you are but what am I?" maneuver?

Jeez.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH no it isn't,they had THEIR games overseas ,now we need to FIX that situation.
WE HAD enough from the DNC the friggin RNC isn't going to be any happier if the situation is NOT turned around without political trappings,NO religious persecutions and a political martial law is never going to work as long as rifle distributions are maintained.
The MILITARY will handle Trumps ideas just fine ,no death to earth .

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Also, it occurs to me that the implicit assumption here is that Hillary is losing? I thought she was winning in a landslide?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Thanks for verifying most of the claims in the article I linked! LOL.

Yes, I know you think we need a "Great Man" to right all the wrongs and clean everything up ... getting rid of all the undesirables.

Some of you really make this easy ... *snicker*

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

I'm not even going to try to parse your usual Cav ... but when you say "we" ... to whom are you referring?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Also, it occurs to me that the implicit assumption here is that Hillary is losing? I thought she was winning in a landslide?

You read (well, not really) a historical and political analysis of the authoritarian roots of the current Trump phenomenon ... and you think that has something to do with Hillary.

Sounds like you're whistlin' past the graveyard to me, Ketz.

PS: Apropos of nothing, I think your latest avatar is quite ingenious. Credit where credit is due!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Thanks for verifying most of the claims in the article I linked! LOL.

Yes, I know you think we need a "Great Man" to right all the wrongs and clean everything up ... getting rid of all the undesirables.

Some of you really make this easy ... *snicker*

No Truer Words Have Ever Been Spoken ...Thanks Man .

Does bringing the Country back to The Rule Of Law Bother you that Much ? Bad People who Commit Crimes Belong in Jail .
edit on 1-11-2016 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You're welcome.

Folks like you make this all worthwhile.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Tea Party.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

Tea Party.

Well, there's a blast from the past ...

so the Tea Party is going to fix the situation?

Awesome. Say hello to John Titor for me, will ya?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

If HE'S not Cav he wouldn't know.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

That Yeats' quote seemed to fit the article nicely so I dropped it into the thread and then found that as I thought about it I became more and more depressed. And then you had to add that Shelley piece to top off my day.

The whole article expresses our situation very well, from start to finish yet is invisible to so so many. But if you have time I would like to share a notion with you that is fresh to me, one that I have never considered in this light before.

I go back to a book I read in the 70s called "They Thought They Were Free : The Germans 1933-1945" by by Milton Mayer. It was written in the early 50's and based on interviews from the German people who had been there for the whole thing. It offered a lot to helping understand how a whole nation could be so horns-waggled into something as wrong as Nazism.

But this morning I woke up with another chilling notion. A what if. We have always held this idea that it was Hitler who was the really really bad guy. The Big Man scenario on steroids idea. That it was he, along with a small cadre of moral less authoritarians who swayed the German masses to insanity. But my thought this morning looked at it from an opposite direction. This thought was spurred on by the near total intractability of today's Trumpets.

What if it, all along was really about a large segment of the German people. A racist, Arian supremacist, anti intellectual uneducated German people who had been kicked from their throne of superiority after their defeat in WWI.

What if goofy old Hitler was really not so bad after all. What if he wasn't the cunning and manipulative monster with genius tactical thinking that some histories make him out to be. What If he was also just a failed artist, lost in a lost crowd if disaffected post war chaos. Just like so many others.
Except that he was also a parrot. A Mirror. A little man who could voice and condense the fears and hopes and hatred of those around him. A man who when he spoke, received recognition from at first a small crowd around him who thought that he was saying what they themselves wanted to say. Not that he was leading them, but rather, taking his talking points and his directions from the voiceless crowd around him.

This is ominous to me. More and more I can see that it is not Trump who is doing the leading, it is the Trumpets. A disaffected crowd who believe that he is one of them only because he can say out loud what they are thinking.
........Nah, never mind..... that's foolishess. Because Trump is a megalomaniac in any event.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I've had a glance only as I need to retire for the evening but have bookmarked to read tomorrow.

My initial thought is that authoritarianism requires govt to control societies' levers and to be pervasive in our lives. A big government with big reach answering to a few (or one) at the top of the decision making tree. I can't reconcile that with the policies of the GOP before or after Trump.

Will dig deeper tomorrow.

edit on 1/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

*nods*

We should both be glad I didn't dig out Dover Beach.

The American version of Hitler is a caricature, much like his depictions in the Looney Tunes shorts during the war.

Yet, he was held up as a figure that was going to "make Germany great again" by purifying the nation. He was, by whatever series of chance events a literal "vessel" for the hate and fear and anger of a People ... literally of the Volk.

This is what a certain type of autocrat does. He (or she) starts to take on a "bigger" personna that encompasses "heroic" proportions.

People start to believe that this figure (usually somewhat ridiculous in real life ...) can truly work miracles that are simply impossible for any human.

"I am the only one who can solve these problems!"

It's the same phenomenon polarized (or reversed) that creates religions.

The biggest difference is that our economy is not literally in tatters (although the Great Man tells us it is), we have not surrendered in a war we thought we were winning (but the Great Man tells us we have) ... etc.

The Great Man does warn us that there are enemies "among us" ... and that we must root them out and get rid of them. They're stealing from us, they're dirty, criminal, against religion (Christian of course) etc.

You can see IN THIS DISCUSSION that there are those who line up for that slop at the trough. They BRAG about it.

It may not truly be one of those "confluence" events ... where the right focus taps into the right current. Gods forbid with a nuclear arsenal at the bid and disposal of a megalomaniac shell-creature.

But it's close enough to suggest that such a time is coming, if indeed it's not already here.

So yeah. Dover Beach.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Of course he was narcissistic. That's why he made people believe in him the way he believed in himself. He had the exact traits of a narcissistic person, he loved himself more than anything, he always blamed others for his own actions, he never felt guilty about anything. He wanted to be worshipped, he was extremely manipulative, did not care about one's feelings. All he cared about was power and greed. That's a typical narcissistic person.

The above is an answer to the question: Was Hitler a narcissist.

www.quora.com...

It's a day that this is a fitting description for both candidates.

Good job America, you get to choose between Hitler and Hitler.

I don't really agree with that.

I am a former Republican, BTW. I've personally witnessed the change in the party. Today the GOP is insane, IMO.

The GOP is pushing for Elitist Control. Wealthy, White, Christian. Sort of a "Pure Race". (minus low-life hanger-on-er's).

I don't see the "Pure Race" thing in the DEMS.

Of course you don't.

The dems have moved into the realm of radical ideology, which crosses all lines of race and class.

It's all inclusive and anyone can join!!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

What's an example of what you're talking about?

What "radical ideology" have Democrats moved into? Their platform?

Be specific ... what are you talking about?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Sorry, no..........this is the typical left wing scare tactic.

From where I sit, the GOP appears to be entirely atomized and leaderless. I mean, really........they couldn't even control the nomination process of their own party. That tells me the GOP isn't even anymore a truly functioning Poltical Party. In the days of yesteryear, for a person to even be considered as a nominee they had to have acres of party creds built up over years of service and financial contributions, either direct or by way of fundraising. 2016? A near bald billionaire (supposed) just walks in and takes the nomination. In the past, he'd have to have "asked" to run as a Republican and would have been thrown out on his arse. I'm telling you the absence of any inter-party discipline and leadership caused this Trump problem. There's no one at the helm of their leaky ship!

Where the hell are you living, China?

The PEOPLE make the choice, not the PARTY, comrade.

Or were you absent that day the class went over the COTUS?

The left will gladly walk into hell if the party demands it.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Right right brown-eyes.

Sell that crap to someone else.

I withdraw the question; I should know better than to bother with worshippers.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join