It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Annee
Isolationism in this evolving world is stupid and archaic thinking. ALL of Humanity is on this insignificant rock in the middle of a vast universe. Not just in one man-made imaginary border.

I disagree.

You have that right

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Annee

The GOP obstructionist Congress - - - certainly made its mark.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

I'm not being sarcastic.

I was a 40 year Republican. I'm now unaffiliated.

I've never seen anything so ridiculous as the GOP obstructionism we've been witnessing.

Obstructionism means our government is working as intended. We have three branches of government with equal powers for a reason. If you recall, the GOP took control of the senate and congress because the American people decided they didn't want Obama's and the progressive left's agenda. I voted for GOP senators and congressmen specifically to obstruct.

This is why so many conservatives are pissed. They want legislators with some balls to do the job we sent them to DC to do. We sent them there to obstruct, not make play dates.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I'm not being sarcastic.

I've never seen anything so ridiculous as the GOP obstructionism we've been witnessing.

Obstructionism means our government is working as intended.

You must be on the GOP side.

Screw moving things forward by compromised solutions.

Deadlock is so much better for the people.

edit on 1-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
"And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last slouches toward Bethlehem to be born.''

Chilling.

But also ...

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! Nothing beside remains. Round the decay Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare The lone and level sands stretch far away.” (Shelley)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I'm not being sarcastic.

No, I just understand how our government works. Just because a Democrat or Republican is elected President does not mean Congress and Senate has to go along with their agenda. This is purposeful to prevent one man or party from running roughshod over the country. Grid lock means our system is working as the founders intended.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
Meanwhile, in reality, our universities are churning out left wing authoritarians like hot cakes.

That has zero to do with anything in the article or in what I said.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
It's truly amazing how both the left and the right can both honestly perceive the other side to be the enemy in so many of the same ways.

We need more centrists.

I agree. Centrist, fact-based, and above all Constitutionally-based politics.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter

Hitler only wanted Europe for Germany.

Ah, that was the reason for the Afrika Feldzug then?

A client state of the Reich.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

It's truly amazing how both the left and the right can both honestly perceive the other side to be the enemy in so many of the same ways.

We need more centrists.

But that's not Trump or his followers or sadly not even the Republicans anymore. There has been a drastic shift to the Right.
GOP moderates are labeled RINOS with roe v wade still the litmus test to qualify as a party faithful.
edit on 1-11-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

You didn't derail anything. Hitler and Trump are both special cases of the same basic human urge ... the will to power.

They are comparable in stated outlook, although I can believe that Herr Hitler cared more about Germany than Mr. Trump does for the US.

I believe any contribution here adds to understanding, for those who are tired of shooting urine in water-guns across the trenches at each other.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: Gryphon66

We need more centrists.

But that's not Trump or his followers or sadly not even the Republicans anymore. There has been a drastic shift to the Right.

Yes. The real Right ... Authoritarianism.

But goodness no ... Trump barely seems to be familiar with the Constitution, and many of his followers seem to think it exists only when THEY need it.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Honestly when youre perpetually poor at making decisions a la a democrat you need some authoritarianism in your life. Do y'all have problems with Court appointed gaurdianship for retarded people too?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I don't agree with your summation of Obama's real achievements, alhtough, I am aware that he, as any President, wasn't able to accomplish everything he set out to do.

Curiously, why does the location of New York Magazine have anything to do with a perspective on Republican Authoritarianism?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Gryphon66

It could be said from the lens of Identity politics that the GOP is engaging in identity politics, but without that lens, and without the framing of the story by identitarians, that story turns out to be quite false. I don't hear the GOP using the language and terms of identity politics, unless they are forced to by the media, or unless they are cornered into doing so because the Dems are framing the debate that way. If the GOP appeals to some generic "white voter", that is one thing, but the idea that they are actively campaigning for "white voters" and white votes, is nonsensical.

You're making a gross generalization that simply isn't true.

There are many points of fact in the article that are unquestionable; they're quite simply known historical truths.

Your odd take on identity politics notwithstanding ... if you don't hear Republican's talking about "White Identity politics" quite simply, in my opinion, you just aren't listening or you don't really understand what Identity Politics is.

At any rate, all you've done here is merely typical ... you've errantly negated everything in the OP while offering no counter arguments and contributing nothing of substance.

Perhaps, if you'd seriously like to have a discussion, you'll bring out an actual quote from the article, make your argument for why it's false with real facts rather than opinion. You know, cogent discussion of a topic.

edit on 1-11-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The two party system is just there as an illusion of choice. It is sad that many people here do not see past that. Both the Left's Progressive Globalists and the Right's Conservative Zealots plot to take away freedom from the people in order to further propagate their doctrine.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: butcherguy
This is another in the stories that we are seeing come out as an act of desperation by the Hillary camp.

The Shark I've chosen, swims in the direction I want to go.

If Hillary drops out, I will vote for someone other than Trump.

They are still pushing the Kremlin story... the NYT debunked it.... but Hillary's crew is still pushing it.
It is sad and desperate.

The US intelligence community stated that there have been Russian attempts to interfere in this election.

Washington Post

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I'm not being sarcastic.

No, I just understand how our government works. Just because a Democrat or Republican is elected President does not mean Congress and Senate has to go along with their agenda. This is purposeful to prevent one man or party from running roughshod over the country. Grid lock means our system is working as the founders intended.

I've been watching it for 70 years, how about you?

I've actually seen it work - - - up until recently.

edit on 1-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
One political party continues violence against supporters of the other party. One party pays violent disruptors to attend the other's events. One party has continuous destruction of property against those who support the other candidate. One party calls the other party names and makes broad generalizations across the entire group instead of addressing actual issues. One party uses govt agencies to target those who don't support them. One party advocates and pays for/supports violence against police officers. One party wants the govt in complete control over all your health decisions.

Reality check.

None of that is factual. You're conflating so many different episodes of so many different groups with so many assumptions that pure propaganda is true ... I dont' have time here now to take it apart for you.

So, I disagree with the factual nature of basically everything you just posted.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Of course he was narcissistic. That's why he made people believe in him the way he believed in himself. He had the exact traits of a narcissistic person, he loved himself more than anything, he always blamed others for his own actions, he never felt guilty about anything. He wanted to be worshipped, he was extremely manipulative, did not care about one's feelings. All he cared about was power and greed. That's a typical narcissistic person.

The above is an answer to the question: Was Hitler a narcissist.

www.quora.com...

It's a sad day that this is a fitting description for both candidates.

Good job America, you get to choose between Hitler and Hitler.

I would say "an Establishment authoritarian" and "a rogue narcissistic authoritarian with a lot to prove."

Which one is more dangerous? Aye, there's the rub.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I think it's pretty clear for everyone to see your future. I'll give you a hint 'Huxley'.

You're just salivating over the prospect of this scientific dictatorship. There IS NO equality in globalism unless you can force every culture to abandon their heritage - convince the Muslims the Quran is wrong and then unite the different sects of Judaism. Good luck with that. Also what will you do with those pesky Buddhists who won't agree to any system?

What would you have them 'protect the world' against? Polluters (where you gonna' put them)? Carbon criminals? How about the people who disagree with the utter insanity of the Liberal push for relativism in society? What about the people who, shock horror, disagree with leftism? In true lefty fashion are they demonized, made less human then annihilated?

Something about you really annoys me. It's like mere facts bounce off you. How's Hillary btw?

I mean COME ON "The party has grown increasingly reliant upon white identity politics" hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahaha. You couldn't make this up!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join