It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This is another in the stories that we are seeing come out as an act of desperation by the Hillary camp.

But, Hillary . . .

The Shark I've chosen, swims in the direction I want to go.

edit on 1-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

This is another in the stories that we are seeing come out as an act of desperation by the Hillary camp.

If Hillary drops out, I will vote for someone other than Trump.

They are still pushing the Kremlin story... the NYT debunked it.... but Hillary's crew is still pushing it.
It is sad and desperate.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
One political party continues violence against supporters of the other party. One party pays violent disruptors to attend the other's events. One party has continuous destruction of property against those who support the other candidate. One party calls the other party names and makes broad generalizations across the entire group instead of addressing actual issues. One party uses govt agencies to target those who don't support them. One party advocates and pays for/supports violence against police officers. One party wants the govt in complete control over all your health decisions.

Reality check.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If Hillary drops out, I will vote for someone other than Trump.

They are still pushing the Kremlin story... the NYT debunked it.... but Hillary's crew is still pushing it.
It is sad and desperate.

You choose when and when not to believe the NYT's?

Have American politicians (other) tried to influence foreign elections? Try that logic.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
One political party continues violence against supporters of the other party.

Give me a break.

They're all cut throat sharks.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Of course he was narcissistic. That's why he made people believe in him the way he believed in himself. He had the exact traits of a narcissistic person, he loved himself more than anything, he always blamed others for his own actions, he never felt guilty about anything. He wanted to be worshipped, he was extremely manipulative, did not care about one's feelings. All he cared about was power and greed. That's a typical narcissistic person.

The above is an answer to the question: Was Hitler a narcissist.

www.quora.com...

It's a sad day that this is a fitting description for both candidates.

Good job America, you get to choose between Hitler and Hitler.
edit on 1-11-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Of course he was narcissistic. That's why he made people believe in him the way he believed in himself. He had the exact traits of a narcissistic person, he loved himself more than anything, he always blamed others for his own actions, he never felt guilty about anything. He wanted to be worshipped, he was extremely manipulative, did not care about one's feelings. All he cared about was power and greed. That's a typical narcissistic person.

The above is an answer to the question: Was Hitler a narcissist.

www.quora.com...

It's a day that this is a fitting description for both candidates.

Good job America, you get to choose between Hitler and Hitler.

I don't really agree with that.

I am a former Republican, BTW. I've personally witnessed the change in the party. Today the GOP is insane, IMO.

The GOP is pushing for Elitist Control. Wealthy, White, Christian. Sort of a "Pure Race". (minus low-life hanger-on-er's).

I don't see the "Pure Race" thing in the DEMS.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Thanks for sharing the article, Gryph.

I've said for quite some time that Trump's campaign has been a perfect representation of the Right Wing propaganda that has been pushed on to the people for years.

The propaganda was used to spread lies, rumors and disinformation in order to keep the Right in the pockets of the GOP, but it was so powerful and extreme that it pushed them further right, well beyond what was acceptable for the GOP. Along comes Trump and he steps-in to represent that propagandized extreme.

It's sad to think that in this day and age we have so much information available to us and yet so many people are taken in by the lies and deceit.

That is what Trump has come to represent.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I personally think it's 100x worse than Mr. Hitler; Hitler only wanted Europe for Germany.

...and Trump wants America for Americans. If you have a problem with that, then you are the problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The GOP obstructionist Congress - - - certainly made its mark.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

What did the obstructionist Congress actually obstruct? Obamacare was passed. We essentially have no control over our Southern borders to the point where those trespassing into The States new seek out border agents rather than try to evade them. He is bringing in (alleged) Syrian (alleged) refugees in ever growing numbers and placing them wherever he chooses (despite opposition from local municipalities.

So what is it that Obama sought that he did not get? Although I don't agree with pretty much any of his goals, you can't argue that he is successful.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I don't really agree with that.

I am a former Republican, BTW. I've personally witnessed the change in the party. Today the GOP is insane, IMO.

The GOP is pushing for Elitist Control. Wealthy, White, Christian. Sort of a "Pure Race". (minus low-life hanger-on-er's).

I don't see the "Pure Race" thing in the DEMS.

Yet they attack white people like the Nazis went after the jews, which is made even more psychotic as they prop up the most corrupt individual in American history who is also white.

With Hillary's track record she could easily run as a republican yet her party and their sycophants adore and defend her as if she is some saint. But if she had an "R" next to her name they would be ripping her to shreds with all the dirt she's accumulated over the years.

And the same could be said of Trump, before this election he could have ran as democrat and probably beat Hillary in the primaries.

It's absolute madness from both sides. How people can still defend either side is mind bottling.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

I personally think it's 100x worse than Mr. Hitler; Hitler only wanted Europe for Germany.

...and Trump wants America for Americans. If you have a problem with that, then you are the problem.

Isolationism in this evolving world is stupid and archaic thinking. ALL of Humanity is on this insignificant rock in the middle of a vast universe. Not just in one man-made imaginary border.

Pale Blue Dot: www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The DEMS have excluded whites and males from their party.

They literally have nothing to offer you if you are a non-victim white male, other than the promise of a "more equalitarian society" if they get their way.

DEMS are quick to respond with "those jobs are never coming back," when you mention working-class unemployment. That isn't a solution---just a command: "deal with it!" Who is surprised that whites would look elsewhere for leadership.

If those jobs are leaving for good, then what are all the immigrants going to do when they get to America? Work in service-sector jobs? Or at dot-com start-ups?

Ronald Reagan said it nearly 40 years ago: "I didn't leave the Democrat party---the Democrat party left ME!"

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Sorry, no..........this is the typical left wing scare tactic.

From where I sit, the GOP appears to be entirely atomized and leaderless. I mean, really........they couldn't even control the nomination process of their own party. That tells me the GOP isn't even anymore a truly functioning Poltical Party. In the days of yesteryear, for a person to even be considered as a nominee they had to have acres of party creds built up over years of service and financial contributions, either direct or by way of fundraising. 2016? A near bald billionaire (supposed) just walks in and takes the nomination. In the past, he'd have to have "asked" to run as a Republican and would have been thrown out on his arse. I'm telling you the absence of any inter-party discipline and leadership caused this Trump problem. There's no one at the helm of their leaky ship!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
a reply to: Annee

The GOP obstructionist Congress - - - certainly made its mark.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

I'm not being sarcastic.

I was a 40 year Republican. I'm now unaffiliated.

I've never seen anything so ridiculous as the GOP obstructionism we've been witnessing.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I stated, somewhere early on, that Trump perfectly reflects the "true self" of the modern Republican party. Rampant sexism, racism, homophobia and religious bigotry (toward anything not Fundamentalist Christian).

So, what say you ATS? Discuss the meat and potatoes?

... or fling more poo?

How are you going to "fling poo" then ask if anyone else is going to discuss the meat and potatoes?
Almost his whole article is a left wing poo fling fest. That's how they get off...
The ignorance of the left is staggering.
This is why they never really argue with facts. The facts rarely agree with them.
This is why they resort to insults and claims of racism, ect.
The worst part???
They embody their own claims more than the ones they try to victimize with them.
Its disgusting. every time I have a beef with a left leaning (especially young) persons opinion, I get accused of some type of 'ism'
The left is in the process of breeding a soft American public, obsessed with calling out everyone elses BS, but never seeing their own. This will lead to more young people who cannot handle the real world and eventually need the government to take care of them.
That is their plan. Get everyone hooked on government. It worked well in the inner cities in the 60s-80's, now they plan to expand it to middle America.
Not me...
I refuse to live in a world that coddles some, oppresses others and expects everyone think the same.
I won't do it. I am independent. I am an (real)American.
Anyway, I don't think Trump represents the GOP and I don't think the GOP wants Trump to represent them.
My hope is that after he gets the white house, he starts calling out politicians on both side of the isle.
My hope is that he is not for the GOP or the Dems.
My hope is that he is for the people. At least with Trump, we have hope of that. With Hillary, we are already absolutely sure, that she does not, and never will represent, or care about the citizens of the US, or anywhere else in the world, unless they have at least 1/4 million dollars to give to her crooked foundation.
There is no hope with that woman. There is still hope with Trump..It's undeniable.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: redempsh

Ronald Reagan said it nearly 40 years ago: "I didn't leave the Democrat party---the Democrat party left ME!"

Reagan was always a conservative.

He was a Dem in name only.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

I'm reluctant to post this because it is slightly off the topic of the Republican party, but I do find it relevant to the overall thread.

I think the OP is inappropriately trying to exist in a vacuum. I think I understand your views regarding the upcoming election and Trump, but I don't find any of it convincing because an election is never about a single person. Any election is a comparison, issue by issue between two people.

what he represents is more dangerous to the historical Republic than anything seen in our lifetimes, and certainly more dangerous than one old lady in a pantsuit that is a center-right war hawk.

You state this opinion as a matter of fact. The characterization of an "old lady in a pantsuit" is in and of itself telling. You are attempting to paint Hillary as a friendly old "grandma type." The issues many people have with her is not that she is, as you allege, a "center right war hawk." To put it simply, many people feel that the amounts of money that have been given to her, her husband and their foundation essentially means that she is already bought and paid for and will be far too controlled by multi-national corporations and foreign governments/entities. THIS is the danger she represents to the Republic. People have to decide for themselves whether Trump or Hillary poses the greater threat. However, to gloss over the shortcomings of Hillary does not make for a convincing anti-Trump argument (in my humble opinion).

The party has grown increasingly reliant upon white identity politics to supply its votes, which has left an indelible imprint on not only the Republican Party’s function but also its form.

Again, I think this ignores the other side of the coin. I don't necessarily agree with the statement but it lacks context as to "why." In the past decade or so there have been and continue to be what can be "perceived" verbal and at times institutional attacks against whites by "The Left." Everything from the pushing of "white privilege" or "white guilt" to universities hosting "minority only" events. My personal opinion is that this fad will go away soon so it doesn't particularly trouble me. However, I find it completely understandable how white people would turn away from the "side" that is constantly bombarding them with negative views and, by default, going the other way.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Exactly.. The only way 'We, The People' don't end up totally screwed is by 'coming together' but politics™ has the 'division' built in and that division has a chance to grow every 4 years. When 'most' of the politicians who actually have the chance to change things are instead out campaigning for another term. Each race takes $$$ and that is when the BIG DONOR$ come out and take their place at the head of the line...

There is no other way to beat "them". Look at the choices this time. A CROOK and liar and a CROOK and a liar and 2 other folks who have the rules against them from the start. I guess 'most folks' are okay with this???

Could We type that both the 'major candidates' already don't have to worry about their next meal? Then why are they running for POTUS?

Who has made the most $$$ the last 15 years? How did they make that $$$?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Isolationism in this evolving world is stupid and archaic thinking. ALL of Humanity is on this insignificant rock in the middle of a vast universe. Not just in one man-made imaginary border.

I disagree.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join