It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

Permit me to add a small correction. There will not be a "shrinking" of Social Security or Medicare (which are not "entitlements" but insurances paid into), rather the idea is to get rid of the programs, totally "privatize" them, i.e. put your retirement savings directly into the hands of Wall Street or annuity salesmen. Get disabled? Tough s*** for you if you haven't paid for disability insurance from the moment you were born. You can turn to the modern way of begging, putting up a "fund me" page.

There will not be govt as we know it. What the moneyed backers of the Trump movement desire is for basically the elimination of all federal govt except military (which doesn't include the VA). Money for and control of any govt function (except military) will be turned over to corporations to run. This movement is trickling down to state govts. Want your road repaired? Call 1-800-WaitonlinetospeaktosomeoneinAsia.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Fuzzy Wabbit

It's sad how the face of conservatism has changed. The GOP of old are now considered RINOS. Yeah, let's just throw out true conservative principles along with the baby and the bath water.

Goodnight, John McCain. Hello, David Duke.

I want my loyal opposition back!
..... nah, ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.... Liz Warren left the GOP in the 1990s, working for me now....

Yes. I knew that the Republican Party was in free fall when McCain was labeled a "liberal". And that's the problem now, that anyone to the left of the alt right will be labeled "liberal", the enemy. Like it's said: First they came for the Democrats , then they came for McCain, then there was no one left when they came for me.

This all began in the 1990s when Newt Gingrich declared that Democrats were "the enemy of normal people". Labeling a group as The Enemy. .... and declaring yourself "normal" lol...

From the 2016 RNC convention!! .....

GOP Convention Prayer - “Our Enemy Is Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party!”

And Republicans, we got to be united, because our enemy is not other Republicans, but is Hillary Clinton and the Democratic Party.

And, thus, this hatred of Democrats is sanctioned by God. Smite The Enemy! Lock her up! Lock them up!

No, no more having rational debate over policy or issues. Lock them up! Thus, authoritarian Daddy State steps in to take over disciplining The Enemy, in an economy of unregulated corporate greed, where one's only recourse to any harmful corporate power is to sue them, if you have the money. ....and some people think this is our best future?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Gryphon66

It could be said from the lens of Identity politics that the GOP is engaging in identity politics, but without that lens, and without the framing of the story by identitarians, that story turns out to be quite false. I don't hear the GOP using the language and terms of identity politics, unless they are forced to by the media, or unless they are cornered into doing so because the Dems are framing the debate that way. If the GOP appeals to some generic "white voter", that is one thing, but the idea that they are actively campaigning for "white voters" and white votes, is nonsensical.

Right. Here's what real HATE SPEECHES sound like:
HATE SPEECH HILLARY

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert

Permit me to add a small correction. There will not be a "shrinking" of Social Security or Medicare (which are not "entitlements" but insurances paid into), rather the idea is to get rid of the programs, totally "privatize" them, i.e. put your retirement savings directly into the hands of Wall Street or annuity salesmen. Get disabled? Tough s*** for you if you haven't paid for disability insurance from the moment you were born. You can turn to the modern way of begging, putting up a "fund me" page.

There will not be govt as we know it. What the moneyed backers of the Trump movement desire is for basically the elimination of all federal govt except military (which doesn't include the VA). Money for and control of any govt function (except military) will be turned over to corporations to run. This movement is trickling down to state govts. Want your road repaired? Call 1-800-WaitonlinetospeaktosomeoneinAsia.

Good analysis, very prescient (if they get their way).

But their unfettered and unconstrained faith in free market economics is belied by the financial meltdown which came about as a result of the deregulation of Wall Street amid the removal of the Glass-Steagall (Schmiegel) act.

We've seen all we need to see regarding Trickle Down Economics.

It's responsible for the whole mess we ended up in the in first place, but that's what Trump and the new Republicans want to do (those who haven't simply entrusted everything into Mr. Trump's most capable hands).

It would be the fall of the United States as a "Great Nation" I do believe, to the degree that Donald Trump personifies it. It's just a slide right into the abyss.

A sell out.

If Trump wins, it would be a great time to get into the Mansion and Yacht-selling business.

That's what the rich do with their money - they hoard it.

The big problem with trickle down economics, is that it trickles down and only trickles down. Worked for Reagan, but he was the first to let the scam run and oh what a boom it was, until the bubble burst, then eventually crashed with the pigs at the trough selling mortgage-backed derivatives for the biggest bank heist in the history of the world and the loss or removal of trillions of dollars, only to be flooded at interest from the Fed in a last ditch effort to prevent the whole thing from floundering, and that's what they want to do AGAIN?!

Torture? AGAIN?

This is like George W. Bush drunk out of his mind, on steroids, with Dick Cheney sitting in the apex of the oval egg (I was corner to say corner) as the evil mastermind behind it all.

You're crazy!

America has done stark raving mad with the pro-Trump sentiment.

He operates as if the future, and the past, doesn't exist.

Donald Trump cannot be allowed to get anywhere NEAR the Whitehouse, I don't care if Hillary used her own email domain or not.

Don't do it people.

Flip it and turn the Senate and the House Blue to break up the gridlock and get some # done for a change, in the right direction for a brighter future and not some sort of perilous precipice with an idiot clown baby man running the show and trying to be what's relevant to the best interests of the American people and the larger word.

Don't do it! Please, for the love of God and people I'm begging you.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Yep! It's unbelievable. Those Trump supporters who are the un-deplorables, who see the GOP as their last greatest hope for economics in their favor, are being led, sadly once again, to vote for a party that has used them for votes and tossed them aside when it came to economic decisions. They will not be helped in any way economically by a Trump vote.

I have relatives who are at poverty level, who get federal income tax refundable credits because of their level of income, health insurance at no cost to them, special programs for their special needs children, yet they vote for a party that wants to do away with the IRS, their insurance program, and other programs they benefit from. Somehow, they feel that the GOP will magically make their lives better. The jobs are going to magically appear day one. They believe not in reality but magic.

I have other relatives who went through every penny of their savings and only survive economically because of their Social Security and Medicare. Yet they will vote for a party that wants to turn those programs into for-profit programs for Wall Street and corporations. (The same Wall Street that lost one friend's retirement money already, who has to start over!)

The "free market" is only "free" to those who can afford it. My younger relatives have no money for Health Savings or College Accounts! My relatives will need to go into great debt to pay for private loans for their children's college. My older relatives have no money to pay for burial. All the years they voted the GOP on issues other than economic, they got what they voted for, an economy that transferred wealth to the top, the only thing trickling back down being platitudes and fear if they didn't continue to vote a certain way.

The current economy was set in motion in the 1980s, along with protections to make sure the wealth stayed at the top. Yet people still believe in that old voodoo magic and that their party cares for them. They were pawns in the Party Of The Have-Mores, small fish invited for a swim in a pond, to be eaten by the bigger fish who owned the pond.

The latest ex of how cruel this party is to its voters. They want to blame Obama for ACA premium increases, when in reality it was Marco Rubio's getting rid of "risk corridors" that put the burden back onto the small fish. Ya can't win when voting red. You're just chum to the corporate sharks.

And what this new form of the RP will let loose now is far more dangerous economically, and along with it are cries for revenge and to-hell-with-the-Constitution and democratic institutions. And, yes, because they have so massively screwed up political power in this nation, the only thing stopping them would be a united Blue front, House ad Congress.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

And a blue Supreme Court.

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine page: 1

Yo G ?

Who gave us social security.,medicare,medicaid,gun control,climate 'change', Anti trust REGULATION,and other financial regulation?

Was that the GOP ?

No.

The GOP has a hell of along way to go, and over 100 years to get to the level of it's critics.

posted on Nov, 10 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

lol Just heard McConnell speak. He sure is one frightened guy. He should be. He's one of the remaining Republicans for this New Wave Republican tsunami to engulf, and he knows it. He already caved.

He is now desperate for Senate Dems to save his a##. There is now push from his right to do away with the filibuster rule, but McConnell IMO does not want to do that, but rather keep the rule so dissatisfied Republicans (like him) can get Dems to join them. Boehner got shoved aside, McConnell right now fears for his Senate life and legacy.

Since McConnell enjoys blowing whichever way in the wind, personally I would say leave him out there to blow around and hang himself, don't try to save him. If the Dems try to join fickle, effete Reps who only want to save their hide, they will be making a mistake.

The RINO hunt is not over. Cannibalism is a bitch.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
I'd be more worried that the DNC now riots and tears up communities for supporting a candidate in the GOP. Figured I'd add my food for thought since were spreading fear.

Don't you say that! ...That would NEVER, EVER happen, you hear me?! They're a peace-loving kind of folk... They just... Require that we assimilate and submit into Their form of "peace". Until then, what choice do you give them but to riot and tear up communities?? It's all Your fault!

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
I agree 100%....we've always had people in America like Trump, but what we haven't had such a large group of voters agreeing to every B.S. rant that comes out of his mouth....to me, that's the scary part....since Trump has won his primary, I've went back and read Mein Kampf.....there are so many similarities to mid-1930's Germany that's it is chilling to me.

Sounds like you are just as out of touch as the media and the polling "experts". Casting a vote for Trump in no way means one has to agree with everything he's ever said or tweeted. No more than a vote for Hillary means you agree that all young black males are super predators.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Casting a vote for Trump in no way means one has to agree with everything he's ever said or tweeted.

What does casting a vote for Trump mean?

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: desert

Yep! It's unbelievable. Those Trump supporters who are the un-deplorables, who see the GOP as their last greatest hope for economics in their favor, are being led, sadly once again, to vote for a party that has used them for votes and tossed them aside when it came to economic decisions. They will not be helped in any way economically by a Trump vote.

I have relatives who are at poverty level, who get federal income tax refundable credits because of their level of income, health insurance at no cost to them, special programs for their special needs children, yet they vote for a party that wants to do away with the IRS, their insurance program, and other programs they benefit from. Somehow, they feel that the GOP will magically make their lives better. The jobs are going to magically appear day one. They believe not in reality but magic.

I bet they listen to FOX entertainment.

It's like that in AZ. Most people sound like FOX & Rush talking points.

There is zero original, independent thinking.

They are unbelievably clueless.

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join