It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Since your OP is about the GOP and growing, predatory, purposeful authoritarianism, I have to wonder if her not playing by the rules was tactical. Authoritarianism isn't exactly known for playing by the rules in the first place

lol Let's ask someone else in government with a private email server who uses it for his gov work

GOP Rep. Jason Chaffetz Reported To FBI For Using Potential Illegal Private Email Server

The Democratic Coalition Against Trump reported Representative Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) to the FBI on Wednesday morning for possibly breaking Executive Order 13526 and 18 U.S.C. Sec. 793(f) of the federal code, which makes it unlawful to send or store classified information on a personal email. As was recently resurfaced by the Democratic Coalition’s #TrumpLeaks program, Rep. Chaffetz lists his personal Gmail address on business cards brandished with the Congressional seal. Rep. Chaffetz sits on the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations, which has jurisdiction over “internal and homeland security,” among other things.

“The mishandling of classified information that concerns the national security of our nation is something that the FBI takes very seriously,” said Scott Dworkin, Senior Advisor to the Democratic Coalition. “The irony is unparalleled- Representative Chaffetz, the person who led the charge against Secretary Clinton’s personal email server use, could actually be the one who is breaking the law and putting our national security at risk in the process.”

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: desert

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I would laugh my a-double off if Chaffetz went down for illegal email use.

I mean, given his testimony on the subject, it's obvious that if he did mishandle anything confidential ... he did it with INTENT.

Perhaps Gowdy will be next.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think any of those make sense, but I'm going with a combination of:

b) Hillary knew just how weak the email protections were in State (and Defense, etc.) and chose her own security.

c) As you say Something Other than we know about or can guess.

if only because - golly - there just isn't enough drama in the world right now and I'm kinda bored

Russian hackers? Diabolical enemies in your own government working against you from within and without?

Who knows? All I know is something here doesn't add up. It would be pretty funny though if it really is as simple as: a)

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I seriously can almost not stand it

This close to an election that's this close - are they kidding us with this?

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I find irony hilarious. ROFLMAO....ROFLMAO

I don't want to pile on with nightmares, but

Those of us contemplating a post-Trump GOP haven’t put our imaginations to full use. Under Obama, Republicans grounded government to a halt. Under Clinton, they may break it altogether. The closer Republicans come to victory on November 8, the more emboldened they will be. This is yet another reason why they deserve to be robbed throughly of their power.

The Trump Apocalypse Might Not Come, But the Republican One Will

And as for people saying that the projections about Reagan didn't materialize, they forget or do not realize that Reagan still was able to work with a Congress willing to find compromise. This recent phenomenon of increasingly polarized, asymmetric political power didn't begin until Newt Gingrich ushered it in in the 1990s, and it escalated once Obama was elected. (that ATS thread Damn the Country, Obama Must Fail) Plus a SCOTUS gave us David Bossie's Citizens United.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

That old saying, There is honor among thieves, does not apply to politicians.

The GOP apparatus has been known for (and found enjoyment in employing) dirty tricks. Also, Nixon abused his power as POTUS and was warned by John Dean about it, as a "cancer on the Presidency". Who would be in a GOP Executive branch or Congress to speak truth to power, as John Dean did to Nixon?

IMO this is no longer a "Grand" Old Party. What is "Grand" about it? Perhaps it must go back to an earlier version of it's acronym, Gallant Old Party.... a definition of gallant being "a man who pays special attention (flirting) to women".

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Nixon did have his "enemies list", and his paranoia about them was a filter for some of his policies. On thinking about what another POTUS with an authoritarian "enemies list" would do, I see what happened in Scotland as a warning to Americans, especially those who believe they would like Trump and the Republican Party to run government like a business.

Baxter, who was filming as recently as September, speedily includes the stories of other locals who crossed Trump and opposed the golf course development plans only to find the police force slowly being used to protect his interests and intimidate those who criticized his operations. One of Trump International’s officers plainly tells Baxter that the organization deals with their enemies “very harshly—and we will continue to be strong to anybody that stands in our way.”
he has no respect for the legal framework

The future POTUS did not like that the Forbes' property was not up to his standards for being next to his golf course.

Trump’s tinny voice rings out from a TV monitor, promising to “Make America Great Again” from the RNC stage. Forbes, a blue-collar Scotsman who’s spent the last five years being insulted and called “a pig” by the contentious Republican nominee, has face intimidation and been urged to sell his land to Trump’s real-estate empire, and has seen his access to clean water destroyed by Trump’s operations in a tiny coastal town across the Atlantic. He shakes his head in disbelief.

Meet a 92-Year-Old Woman Whose Life Was Ruined by Donald Trump

A party that could not even stand up against the likes of Rush Limbaugh, finding it necessary to constantly apologize to media for its "transgressions", will not stand up to bullies within its ranks. Rather they would now prefer, out of weakness, to kowtow to a base who would, even without a Trump presidency, demand a rule of harshness against their "enemies".

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I would laugh my a-double off if Chaffetz went down for illegal email use.

I mean, given his testimony on the subject, it's obvious that if he did mishandle anything confidential ... he did it with INTENT.

Perhaps Gowdy will be next.

yup, the whole "don't throw stones" and "karma" sayings comes to mind

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Can anyone even fathom how long Trump's enemy list would be?

It boggles the mind.

There's the frenemies list.

Then there's his sexual assault victims enemies list.

Let's not forget his unpaid contractors enemies list. Or his conned ex-students. Or minorities. Or anyone who just disagrees with him. They are all on one enemy list or another. And he's gonna sue them all.

So, yeah, there's that.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Fuzzy Wabbit

Oh, yes. And even if Trump loses, the Trump-Bannon alt right will make sure that the Republican Party understands who their new media master is, who they will need to kowtow to and kiss, if they want a voting base. I had thought that the Republican Party could salvage itself to once again become a "loyal opposition" rather than continue as the "disloyal obstructor" it has become. Sadly, I now see this will not be possible.

It's Steve Bannon's World, We Just Live In It

Breitbart served up antic and frequently racist red meat to base Republicans which has helped reshape the GOP. At the same time he was underwriting the much tighter and more rigorously researched Clinton Cash, written in a language and format aimed at getting buy-in from media elites who see Breitbart as a joke.
By and large though it leveled accusations of impropriety without real evidence or purported quids with no clear quos. It was a profoundly political document rather than anything resembling journalism. But as a political project it defined a storyline about the Clinton Foundation which has dominated press coverage ever since. As a political project it was hugely successful. So the same guy who was published something close to a hate site with huge sections about "black crime", "voter fraud" in inner cities, Mexican rapists and other racist garbage was also putting together a very different kind of project to appeal to this very different but critical audience. And just to pull it all together, in the final months of the election cycle, he took over the campaign which in many ways he had brought into existence.

What I find laughable if it weren't so sad and an omen of things to come, is how the term RINO has once again risen and has even been thrown at ATS members here lately, the alt right believers devouring themselves.

McConnell and Ryan have already folded like lawn chairs. They want power and control and are now willing to engage in fear and scandal mongering with its attendant punishments for the "wrongdoers", at an unprecedented level. Putin, who remembers the old Soviet Union of his youth and KGB days, will be impressed, returning the compliments paid him by Republicans. .... Khrushchev said that the Soviet Union would "bury us", we seem to be digging our own grave just fine.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The US system in its essence seams well thought but its permeable to corruption, the lobbying, the political party millionaire donations, the fund raising...

As any other political system it needs to be stripped down from time to time. If its not Trump someone will eventually do it, don´t put too much faith on a system that is too dependent on obscure deals and money flow.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Ah, the less than beloved alt-right.

It's sad how the face of conservatism has changed. The GOP of old are now considered RINOS. Yeah, let's just throw out true conservative principles along with the baby and the bath water.

Goodnight, John McCain. Hello, David Duke.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Me I used to think ATS was anti-authoritarianism and anti-police state.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrapAsUsual

The US system in its essence seams well thought but its permeable to corruption, the lobbying, the political party millionaire donations, the fund raising...

As any other political system it needs to be stripped down from time to time. If its not Trump someone will eventually do it, don´t put too much faith on a system that is too dependent on obscure deals and money flow.

You know, speaking of Trump, it seems to me that you and others have advanced him to this ... caricature of himself.

He is not some divine crusading Great man come to deliver the One True People from the barbarians and infidels.

He is a childish, spiteful, dishonest, cretinous shell of the man he once was, who was a childish, spiteful, dishonest cretinous fake.

Much like his hotels, his reality show, his steaks, wine and clothing .. ersatz, gaudy, and counterfeit.

posted on Nov, 3 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AnkhMorpork

Yes, that's exactly in line with the assertions of the OP and great additional backup for the ideas posited.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Perfect real world non-theoretical example of what I mean when I say that I'm voting AGAINST Donald Trump because he stands for a constellation of beliefs and "values" that are dangerous to me and mine:

Donald Trump pledges to sign anti-LGBTQ ‘First Amendment Defense Act'

Trump has pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act (FADA), if passed by congress. It was first introduced in the House on June 17, 2015 and would effectively legalize anti-LGBTQ discrimination across the board, including among employers, businesses, landlords and healthcare providers, as long as they claim to be motivated by a firmly held religious beliefs.

There is nothing about the First Amendment that allows religious belief to overcome established law.

For example, someone who murdered a "sinner" based on the lists of sins and punishments in Leviticus.

At the same time, there is nothing that says that anyone, gay, straight, bi-, tri-, trans- or whatever has the right to be universally liked and well-regarded. Anyone has the right to believe that certain sexual orientations and/or gender identities are gross, horrible, sinful, perverse, etc., and that we are all going to burn eternally in the fire-pits of ... a loving God.

However, religious belief does not allow anyone to be fired, or barred from a public establishment, or have vital services withheld from them because of their perceived differences from the norm.

If your religious belief condemns gay marriage, then don't marry someone of your own gender.

(In like manner ... if your religious belief condemns abortion, then don't have one.)

You do not, however, have the right to use the power of the State to take away anyone else's right to be who they are, to have legal procedures, or to live their lives as they choose.

Trump foolishly believes that LGBT+ folks are stupid enough to believe him because he waggles a pride flag on stage while he pimps for legislation that is the direct descendent of the Nuremberg Laws.
edit on 4-11-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Yes, he's vowed to overturn Roe vs Wade and Marriage Equality too.

He'll probably make it legal to throw LGBT off his wall.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, he's vowed to overturn Roe vs Wade and Marriage Equality too.

He'll probably make it legal to throw LGBT off his wall.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised, but at the start, the Great Man only has to come up with "perfectly valid reasons" to treat some as second-class citizens. From there it's much easier to demonize them further.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I personally think it's 100x worse than Mr. Hitler; Hitler only wanted Europe for Germany.

...and Trump wants America for for white people. If you have a problem with that, then you are the problem.

Fixed that for you.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

Oh, it is indeed probably the best system out there. The "stripping down" means getting the money out of the system, not electing a fool, however! I would posit that Trump's remaining a viable and perhaps successful candidate has been precisely because millionaire donations have come in....

How One Family’s Deep Pockets Helped Reshape Donald Trump’s Campaign

The system is a good one. It is, however, vulnerable to voter apathy and ignorance, along with billionaire money. What has made this election cycle one we have not had for 150 years is the "tilting of the table", as in the old pinball games where forcing the machine to tilt made the game stop or lose points. What should have been the loyal opposition party has been knowingly turned into a disloyal obstruction party.

It is hard enough for Americans to understand this, and it is difficult, if not impossible, for non-American ATS members to grasp just how bad the situation is here. America has a special system of shared power govt and way of voting embedded in a unique culture. A Trump victory will not destroy the system, rather, it is becoming clearly evident, it will use the system to destroy America. This is not Ronald Reagan, Ronald Reagan's party, and Ronald Reagan's America!

Electing a Fool and his Foolish party and followers hell-bent on revenge and imploding the economy and govt is not a rational act.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join