It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun - New York Magazine

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

No you don't. To state that you do only reflects your arrogance.

I look forward to the restoration of blissful silence in regard to you.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: UKTruth

They have elections in authoritarian governments. Like Saudi Arabia. I think women just got the right to vote, but not driving. We will not become that state by state.

Elections is Saudi are rare and the system of govt. does not even closely resemble the USA. The elections change almost nothing. Rule is through an absolute monarchy. If you think the USA is heading towards a similar system due to Republican policies then you've lost your mind.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: Kandinsky

We don't have as much religious influence over here and I'd feel just like you if we did. I don't think religion (any of them) should have a place in the business of local politics and budgets.

I don't think "outsiders" truly comprehend the extreme influence and control of the Religious Political Right and the dominance of Christianity as a whole in America.

Look to the facts of the Puritans of England, and you get an idea of how serious it is.

They'd make America a Christian Theocracy in a second, if they could.

(No, not all Christians).

How are Christians oppressing you? It sounds very serious...

As I stated.

Outsiders don't comprehend it.

I see. So try and explain it to an outsider to America. It must have changed a lot since I was there. I didn't realise the Christians were oppressing people in some extreme ways...It sounds really horrific.

Why don't you take it slow for us outsiders who couldn't possibly comprehend...?
To start, name one extreme thing that Republicans are doing because of their Christian ideology.
edit on 2/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

From the OP

I stated, somewhere early on, that Trump perfectly reflects the "true self" of the modern Republican party. Rampant sexism, racism, homophobia and religious bigotry (toward anything not Fundamentalist Christian).

OK dude. Divisive identity politics is the only way of the left.

Donald Trump Waves LGBT Rainbow Flag at Colorado Rally

Trump has made similar overtures to queer Americans since the Republican convention in July, when he mentioned them in his acceptance speech. He has courted the support of gay tech mogul Peter Thiel, and he has advocated for LGBT people when talking about his opposition to the Islamic State.

However, LGBT advocates have spurned Trump, saying that his gestures amount to little more than pandering — he opposes marriage equality and has wavered on transgender rights and the Equality Act, which would ban anti-LGBT employment and housing discrimination. Besides, his running mate, Mike Pence, has a history of support for anti-LGBT measures, including a law during his time as Indiana’s governor that would allow businesses to deny services to LGBT people based on religious reasons. www.advocate.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

We don't have as much religious influence over here and I'd feel just like you if we did. I don't think religion (any of them) should have a place in the business of local politics and budgets.

I don't think "outsiders" truly comprehend the extreme influence and control of the Religious Political Right and the dominance of Christianity as a whole in America.

Look to the facts of the Puritans of England, and you get an idea of how serious it is.

As I stated.

I see. So try and explain it to an outsider to America. It must have changed a lot since I was there. I didn't realise the Christians were oppressing people in some extreme ways...It sounds really horrific.

Well, for her it is very horrible... Its close to her heart.. and she takes a big risk when she opens up and speaks about it again. People are jerkoffs. Ive seen it myself.. and dont want to see it again. SHe has her views and is entitled to them.. and thats good enough.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

As I stated.

I've had good conversations with you before.

But, you have Tunnel Vision IMO. You've made up your mind to see things in a certain way.

You didn't realize the Christian religion was oppressing people in America? Really? Are you Christian?

--------------------------------------------------

And now I need to go watch a new way of eliminating pigs in Minecraft.

Life goes on

edit on 2-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

No, I have not lost my mind. I live in a state run by republicans and their different gods. Our elected officials are colluding with other elected officials from another state, Utah, to take our public lands and have special auctioned hunts for the rich. Against the wishes of the Idaho citizens. I think they will pay a price at the polls.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

As I stated.

Well, for her it is very horrible... Its close to her heart.. and she takes a big risk when she opens up and speaks about it again. People are jerkoffs. Ive seen it myself.. and dont want to see it again. SHe has her views and is entitled to them.. and thats good enough.

Doesn't sound like something that is pertinent to an authoritarian movement driven by Christian fundamentalism that is sweeping the country. Sounds more like a personal issue that has skewed reality for an individual, which can happen and is regrettable of course.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

No, I have not lost my mind. I live in a state run by republicans and their different gods. Our elected officials are colluding with other elected officials from another state, Utah, to take our public lands and have special auctioned hunts for the rich. Against the wishes of the Idaho citizens. I think they will pay a price at the polls.

...and you liken this to Saudi Arabia? I hate to break it you, but elected officials furrowing their own nest is not really a Republican issue.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

As I stated.

Doesn't sound like something that is pertinent to an authoritarian movement driven by Christian fundamentalism that is sweeping the country. Sounds more like a personal issue that has skewed reality for an individual, which can happen and is regrettable of course.

There is still great bias here... puritanical bias. I believe it is hypocritical, but they still walk in the front door of the church and leave out the back to the whore. Problem is this type has power and can enact these weird contorted "christian" values into laws and etc.

ETA an example... the puritanical BS GOP distancing from Trump beucase he said grab her by the woohoo.. its all fake BS. THEY are all fake and dangerous.
edit on 2-11-2016 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   

As I stated.

But, you have Tunnel Vision IMO. You've made up your mind to see things in a certain way.

You didn't realize the Christian religion was oppressing people in America? Really? Are you Christian?

And now I need to go watch a new way of killing pigs in Minecraft.

Life goes on

I am asking you for an example pertinent to the thread.
I grew up as a Catholic in a mixed marriage (father was not Catholic). I did not get confirmed mainly due to having to stomach being 'taught' by Jesuit priests. I know all about Christian fundamentalism, which exists (as it does in all religions). But I am quite shocked at the accusation that the Republican party is governing based on extreme view of Christianity with authoritarian enforcement, and I would like at least one example.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I know enough about the efforts of Texas to limit the authority of science in the classroom. It's quite well known in Europe how religious explanations for existence have been given equal value to natural selection and evolution. Yes, I'm an outsider, but not a parochial one and not somebody who's ignorant of other cultures.

The UK is a secular place that's still defined, to a degree, by religious perspectives. Politics and religion go hand in hand even if it's not quite as obvious, or celebrated, as in parts of the States. Our recent Prime Ministers have made decisions based on their Christian beliefs. Even now we're still working through the Catholic/Protestant distinctions in the politics of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Idaho? Poor you.

Right Supremacist and Fundamental Mormons.

A shoe-string family member moved there for a short time. They left before they got forced out.

Seems there's a type of "Controlled Kingdom" going on - - - that don't want outsiders sticking their noses in.

I always feel for the "good" people, like yourself, that want to live normal lives.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

As I stated.

There is still great bias here... puritanical bias. I believe it is hypocritical, but they still walk in the front door of the church and leave out the back to the whore. Problem is this type has power and can enact these weird contorted "christian" values into laws and etc.

ETA an example... the puritanical BS GOP distancing from Trump beucase he said grab her by the woohoo.. its all fake BS. THEY are all fake and dangerous.

Well you won't get me to disagree that Christians can be hypocritical in the types of ways you describe... back to those Jesuits.

I wonder though are the weird contorted views relating to laws anything to do with abortion, same sex marriage, transgender bathrooms and the like? Is this the kind of dangerous and extreme authoritarianism driven by Christian values that people speak of?

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I don't think you understand our local governments and how they work. We the citizens of Idaho elected them to protect our interests, not Utah's.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

As I stated.

Life goes on

I grew up as a Catholic in a mixed marriage (father was not Catholic). I did not get confirmed mainly due to having to stomach being 'taught' by Jesuit priests. I know all about Christian fundamentalism, which exists (as it does in all religions). But I am quite shocked at the accusation that the Republican party is governing based on extreme view of Christianity with authoritarian enforcement, and I would like at least one example.

Hobby Lobby.

There you go.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I know enough about the efforts of Texas to limit the authority of science in the classroom. It's quite well known in Europe how religious explanations for existence have been given equal value to natural selection and evolution. Yes, I'm an outsider, but not a parochial one and not somebody who's ignorant of other cultures.

I will be forever thankful my parents left Ohio and moved to the So. California Coast.

My grandmother was a 5 foot tall, Irish Catholic, hell on wheels. Fortunately, my mom would not let her force her religion on us.

I was raised to have a free mind. Something I've always cherished.

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   

As I stated.

Life goes on

Hobby Lobby.

There you go.

Ah, this is a classic example of a victory against authoritarianism.
No one is being forced to do anything. That is the outcome of the Supreme Court ruling.

I suspect the outcome you wanted in the Supreme Court was for companies to be forced to do something they did not want to do. The key here is that companies are free to provide specific contraceptives in their health care plan if they choose to do so.

Regardless, I fail to see how this can be viewed as some kind of extreme case of Republicans driving Christian fundamentalism.
edit on 2/11/2016 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

considering most laws those few state legislatures are pushing are laws that were previously on the books or social norms now codified.
Can you provide examples of extreme authoritarian laws by social conservatives?

posted on Nov, 2 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev

considering most laws those few state legislatures are pushing are laws that were previously on the books or social norms now codified.
Can you provide examples of extreme authoritarian laws by social conservatives?

In response to this post:

My intent was to make ONE point. Outsiders do not really comprehend the power of the Political Christian Right in America.

I had no intention to go into an in-depth discussion. (there are existing threads on that)

Thread subject: The GOPs Age of Authoritarianism Has Only Begun

The GOP is the Political Christian Right.

edit on 2-11-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join