It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China unveils advanced J-20 stealth fighter in fly over at air show

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

The PAK-FA is a nice looking bird, but I wouldn't expect to see major production of it with their economy the way it is. What do they have 1 or 2 in testing?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmania

The T-50 has some serious contradictions. It's got the rounded shape you'd expect, but gaps in the panels where they join.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

More an F-22/F-35 hybrid.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

They're getting at least one Squadron, with 6 or more in testing.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I can´t see any sockets for external weapons. The doors under the intake don´t make any sense to me, there seems to be too less room to put anything but flat aligned missiles or a small rotary. Can someone enlighten me? Can you make the intake channels that flat? If you increase the surface, you get more drag and pressure goes down.

I´m used to integrate multiple parts into each other to scale down as best as possible while keeping responsibility and reliability up, so this is a serious question.

originally posted by: E92M3

edit on 4-11-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

They use bays similar to the F-22, but designed for larger missiles, with cut down fins.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
So, flat, it is. Nice construction, now I can see the side doors usage, too. Can you tell me what that copper colored pod next to the optic sensor is? Is this some kind of flow meter?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

It may just be a smoke system for demonstration flights. The other side looks like an IRCM system.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Had to look that up...first thought after going back to the picture, why are the sides closed? this gives a blind spot, or not? The nose pod has to carry the optic sensors then, imho. me and my questions :rolleyes:
edit on 4-11-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Early system, designed for the primary threat axis if it is. Either way, it's got some bad blind areas.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Is that FFBNW EOTS under the nose?

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: C0bzz

Yes.

posted on Nov, 4 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

but gaps in the panels where they join.

Hi speed tape?

posted on Nov, 5 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

One squadron makes good sense: it will allow them to sort out issues with operating stealth aircraft in terms of deployment but especially maintenance and support involving many new technologies, but without investing too heavily in a platform that, by the time it reaches maybe 150 operational aircraft, will have to face the dawn of US 6th generation capabilities.

And the reality is that very soon, Russia may have to face not only ongoing low/lowish oil and gas prices, but ongoing economic sanctions that may see national income slowly decline or stagnate for many years to come. Best to invest in what they do well, namely land warfare, surface to surface and surface to air missiles, as well as improving submarines. Air to air against the West will not end well for Russia.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

It might also be a radar reflector like the retractable one the F-22 uses during it's demonstrations.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Good point. That would make a great reflector.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Agreed. But don't you think the second we've got intel on the range of her, she's done. Won't even get close. I'm willing to bet the DIA basically already knows.

And from my less than professional analysis, she's fast. But can't turn and it appears stealth was pushed to the wayside.

Also how is EOTS beneficial to a radar (possibly ground or ship) guided interceptor. It'd never get close enough to even turn it on. Are they just copying us for fun? Or does this paper tiger actually have a mission.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

Like I've been saying all along, it's an anti-AWACS/JSTARS/Tanker platform. The only way to keep it from getting close, is to back off, which means less coverage. Which means it's succeeded in its mission already. Our fighter coverage CAN'T move closer, and loiter, unless we want to move the tankers closer, which means they're still in range and in danger.

Fighting China, on their ground, limits our options drastically. The only bases we can even begin to secure are Guam, and Okinawa, which are still easily in missile range. That's a long flight for a fighter to make, if there's going to be a CAP at the end of it.

edit on 11/7/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

But leaning more toward f-22? To me at least. A squadon? When are they set to roll off the line. How much per?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The 9th airframe rolled out for testing with some radical changes to the airframe.

They're getting the Squadron next year some time. Not sure on cost but I've heard near $100M per.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join