It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Moon - Incredible Lunar Views From The Japanese SELENE Orbiter - Earthrise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
And here she is, in all her glory:

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I also forgot to mention the 3D Kaguya application, which is pretty cool:

darts.isas.jaxa.jp...

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Saint Exupery

Great to know, thank you as well. Heading there now to see what else I can create!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

Bump map garbage.
ALL CGI.

I just don't believe "them".

edit on 1-11-2016 by MagicCow because: Thank you for posting OP. One day maybe we'll see the real thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I can guarantee its already been done a thousand times by others, but if any of you want your own file of a certain lat and long on the moon let me know and I can make a model for you.
I can even put it in a format so you can view it in VR.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: OneBigMonkeyToo
a reply to:Saint Exupery

Any idea where I can find photos with DEM data or EXIF data of the moon?
Then I can properly scale the model and have the actual coordinates,

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Just went there and now downloading a 288 mb tif image that I can use the DEM and DSM data from!

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

It almost looks computer generated.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

It most likely is.
They take hi res pictures, and do the same thing I did with the images - use Photogrammetry to make a 3d model.
Then afters its all compiled together they texturize it from the pictures and create a DTM - Digital Terrain Model.
Once thats been processed the software that generates the model can be used to make a fly through.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

What did the Japanese do?

Thing is, and I know this from years of looking at lunar images from every space agency that has been there, I have never found a single contradiction in any of them, be they the US, USSR, China, Japan, India, ESA, anyone with a decent astronomical telescope, you name it.

By saying "I don't trust 'them' ", you pretty much have to say "I don't trust any of them".

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Monkey.
I don't trust ANY OF THEM.
The lie is just too big.
That's why almost every space agency on this planet all use the vector symbol on their
space agency logos. Has nothing to do with creating the easiest representation of a plane or shuttle and aerospace vehicle.
It has everything to do with shared symbolism for shared groups of power within that sphere.

I don't trust ANY OF THEM.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The full HD image data set may only have just been released, but lots of it has been on the web for a while. The Earthrise video in the OP, for example, has been out there since it was taken in 2008 eg

as have many other videos from them. You can also buy the book of the film:

www.amazon.co.uk...

which has been out since 2011.

I'd also point out that the HDTV images are nothing like as high resolution as the still images they took, and which have also been online since at least 2010.
edit on 1/11/2016 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: additional info

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MagicCow

Your choice, but ignoring a whole world of science because you have some issue with the letter V seems a little pointless.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I don't ignore the world of science.
I love science - even what little of it I truly understand.
They however lie to us about EVERYTHING.
I don't think we get a "pass" on this one.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sharing this tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Great find, very interesting. I wonder what all the tracks are?

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdennis10

The favoured explanation is that they are like grabens on Earth - sunken crust between two faults (at least for the one in your pic). Other explanations involve collapsed subsurface channels.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Thank you, is is amazing to see all the creators on the moon. Lucky for us we have a atmosphere to help burn up small pieces of space rock.

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
so here on earth satellites in similarly distance orbits can produce unimaginable details of earth in pictures taken from space, succesfully mapping the entire earth for gps satellite. similarly, with a dslr 4k cam and a high powered telescope, we can produce the same details of the moon in images from that probe here on earth, despite air and light pollution. we can now see the moon upclose from our back yard, and yet, a probe at close proximity to the moon, with no air or light pollution or atmosphere and with a non fluctuating light source still can only give blurry images of the moon its orbiting.

i find it strange that we have cameras which can see the rings of saturn or the eye of jupiter but this is on par to our best moon videography.... we have more high rez images of neptune and jupiter or saturn than the moon...

posted on Nov, 1 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It is not the best imagery of the moon, it is from one of the imaging instruments carried by Kaguya, not the best one. If you follow the links I posted earlier you will find images of much higher resolution. Terrestrial satellites are better than the lunar ones because it is cheaper to get them in orbit around Earth but you are also being fooled by the lack of identifiable features like buildings to judge scale.

Based on my experience of looking at them a lot, the best images by far are the LRO images. Not far behind that are some of the Lunar Orbiter images. After that comes the Apollo Panoramic Camera images (taken with what was then the best spy satellite camera), then India, then Japan's still images, then China.

You will have to buy a very expensive telescope to get anywhere near the level of detail in any of those, and no, we do not have higher resolution images of the outer planets than we do our moon.
edit on 1/11/2016 by OneBigMonkeyToo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join