It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates Donates $750 Million To Vaccinate Third World Children: Update Britain Gives 1.8 Billion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Bill Gates has donated $750 million over ten years and the government of Norway has pledged another $290 million over five to jump start a campaign to vaccinate children in third world countries. The two donations takes the total raised to 2.3 billion. However, organizers say its not enough to ensure universal coverage.

Update: Britain's Brown to Promise $1.8 Billion for Vaccines

LONDON (Reuters) - British finance minister Gordon Brown will propose Wednesday giving $1.8 billion over the next 15 years to a campaign to get life-saving vaccines to millions of children in poor countries.
British Donation

story.news.yahoo.com
LONDON (Reuters) - A campaign to get life-saving vaccines to millions of children in poor countries received a $1 billion cash boost from Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates and the government of Norway on Tuesday.

The grant was made on the eve of the World Economic Forum annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland, where access to healthcare is set to be high on the agenda. The donors hope it will kickstart other, similar pledges.

More than 2 million people in poor countries die each year because they have not received immunizations that are taken for granted in the industrialized world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bill Gates is in all likelihood the most vilified person after President Bush. Yet among the ultra rich he also consistently gives away more money that all the other foundations often combined. The other foundations seem intent on preserving thier worth and are often as miserly as the benefactor they are named for. There are exceptions however. The David Packard foundation (The "P" in HP) is the main benefactor for our children's hospital which bears the name of his wife. It would seem that Bill Gates is not quite the devil he is made out to be and I have no doubt he will, as he says he intends, give away most of his money before he dies.

[edit on 1/26/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Yeah I think he said that he plans to give away something like 95% of his money when he dies. I think that would still leave his family set with a hundred million plus. Thats some alot of money he will give away. He also seems to focus his charity on third world countries Africa in particular.

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If he gives away 95 percent of his money it will be much more than enough for ever single person on earth to be a millionaire. Well if he kicked off today any how. That's pretty crazy to think about, huh?

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PistolPete
If he gives away 95 percent of his money it will be much more than enough for ever single person on earth to be a millionaire. Well if he kicked off today any how. That's pretty crazy to think about, huh?

Not even close to that much Last time I figured it out we could give everyone in the US about $30 if he gave away 100 percent. I think that was a few years ago when he was worth 40 billion, Im not current with what he is worth now.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I enjoy a good Bill Gates joke as much as anyone, but I don't think there is any denying that he is one of the largest personal donators in the world. Ok, he has more money to give than most people, but you dont see the House of Saud donating to these causes. Bill Gates gets a
from me for his charitable works.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Uh, he was number one at over 800 BILLION dollars, not 400mil. But with the # economy Bush has created he only worth about 550 Billion dollars.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Good to here a positive about a mogul - they get accused of everything now a days, earned or not.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

He has been quoted as saying that he does not want to burden his children with that much wealth. Its all so much overkill at any rate. I mean what can you buy at say 5 billion that you could not at 2?? And ptit those at less than a billion say 900 million, how do they manage to put food on the table

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Well done Bill!

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Uh, he was number one at over 800 BILLION dollars, not 400mil. But with the # economy Bush has created he only worth about 550 Billion dollars.

Every thread.

Not even close to that much Last time I figured it out we could give everyone in the US about $30 if he gave away 100 percent.

Forbes

48 billion dollars.

What math are you doing? There's about 280 million people in the US.

At 100%, if he gave his money evenly to just Americans each of us would stand to receive $164 million. At roughly 6 billion people on earth, each one would get $8 million dollars.....strictly hard numbers without taxes and what-not.

If he were to give 95 percent of his wealth away it could substantially change the world - in the right hands. Right being the operative word.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
6 billion times 8 is 48 billion...every person would get 8 dollars

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Okay you guys are scaring me with the math. Nobody would get 8 million dollars. 8 million times 280 million people would be 224 trillion.

I think 1714 dollars and change seems more like it.

For the US that is

[edit on 1/25/05 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   

48 billion dollars.

What math are you doing? There's about 280 million people in the US.

At 100%, if he gave his money evenly to just Americans each of us would stand to receive $164 million. At roughly 6 billion people on earth, each one would get $8 million dollars.....strictly hard numbers without taxes and what-not.

Theres about 300million people in the US and your math is way off.

48,000,000,000 -thats 48 billion

164,000,000 -theres no way he can give 164 million 280 million times

A billion is a thousand millions not a million millions

It would only be like $160 bucks per person in the US and about 8 cents per person on the planet.

When I figured the 30 some odd bucks out it was years ago he was worth alot less

[edit on 25-1-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Lol, no, the AMERICAN Billion is 1,000,000,000, the english Billion is 1,000,000,000,000. Though, the American one apparently seems to be the norm. now, so that's what Bill Gate's fortune is measured in. Remember we're multi-cultural here

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Please people,

could a math monitor please take charge here?

40,000,000,000 / 250,000,000 = 160.00 USD per US citizen
40,000,000,000 / 6,000,000,000 = 6.67 USD per citizen of planet

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I don't know what math I was doing. Totally not thinkin straight last night.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is a "Great Man" of our times! If the U.S. governmet would have stayed off his back, we might have some great R&D going on in software.

I'll say it first, Bill Gates for President!

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slashpepper
Lol, no, the AMERICAN Billion is 1,000,000,000, the english Billion is 1,000,000,000,000. Though, the American one apparently seems to be the norm. now, so that's what Bill Gate's fortune is measured in. Remember we're multi-cultural here

My mistake I didnt even think that English Billion might be different, I think its safe to assume Gate's fortune is in a American Billion. Other wise Mr.Gates can pay off the whole US debt a few times over.

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

LONDON (Reuters) - British finance minister Gordon Brown will propose Wednesday giving $1.8 billion over the next 15 years to a campaign to get life-saving vaccines to millions of children in poor countries.
British Donation

posted on Jan, 26 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Even with all that money, he still looks ridiculous in these pics:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join