It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Stop using the word "Caucasian" to mean white

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

Maybe not but it encompasses me.

which is why i made this thread. Kapish?

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Literally, it is racist to denote whites by anything other than their skin color now. I will keep using that classification, thank you, until an alternative term can be found, because to do anything else is to subtly dehumanize those of primarily European background.

Personally? European-American is too much of a mouthful, but Anglo-American isn't all that bad.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

I Prefer the term Anglo Saxon. It has more meaning to my Heritage.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Caucasian is an established, though old-fashioned, anthropological classification. It does not mean white, it means a combination of physical characteristics of which pale skin is not one. I am as Caucasian as you are — and far as the definition goes — but I am certainly not white.

Change it, by all means, but not to Anglo-Saxon. French, Spanish, Italian, Slavic, Greek and other people are also part of the same pale-skinned group as yourself. Anglo-Saxon is a linguistic, not a racial or anthropological classification.

Call yourself white. Or, if you want to be absolutely accurate, follow E.M. Forster and call yourself pinko-grey.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   

There are no black or brown Caucasians as far as I'm aware.

There are about a billion brown Caucasians living on the Indian Subcontinent. In fact, most Caucasians are brown. The white ones are in the minority.

edit on 31/10/16 by Astyanax because: of white ones.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

Maybe not but it encompasses me.

which is why i made this thread. Kapish?

That's fair enough for people who already know you, and are aware of your ancestral heritage. When it comes to a stranger who has never met you, however; an individual who isn't very well-versed in physical anthropology is probably very unlikely to ascertain that you are specifically Anglo Saxon, and it would be unrealistic to expect them to know that from the get-go, just as it would be unrealistic for me to expect a stranger to know I'm a mixture of Dutch, Welsh and Native American; to the average person on the street I am probably seen as an ambiguous slightly dark person with Caucasian facial features.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

For the term "Caucasian" as you define it I mostly using white European or if you are looking like Swarzenegger you are likely of direct Neanderthal origin

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Not really.

I said I am not defined by my skin tone, and that is accurate.

And to be fair, I am not defined by being British, I define what it is to be British, by living it. And of that, I am very proud indeed.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Very true, Anglo-Saxon is more of a cultural description than a racial one.

I'd suppose those who identify more with Gaelic traditions and culture would hate to be called Anglo-anything, that could be an issue I didn't even consider.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Well, that's precisely why i educate them on my heritage. And what i prefer to be called according to my ancestors.

It's pretty straight forward and simple. Nothing to it.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

As someone who is dominantly 'white' i would like to be addressed by my proper title, which is Anglo Saxon.

This mixed-descent European-American doesn't particularly care how you identify & likes the way Caucasian rolls off the tongue instead.

edit on 10/31/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
What does it matter? , I dont think anyone has ever been offended by being called caucasian, Well maybe the SJW's, but they get offended at everything which makes any arguments the have Null.

And even if it did get changed, 5 years down the line someone would change it again anyway, There must have been 3 dozen words for black people over the years, we've had Black, coloured, negro, african american, The N word (which incidentally is extremely popular amongst black people but a big no no for whites to use?) And a whole bunch of other words. All were perfectly acceptable at one time only to be socially banned a few years later. I dont even know what this months correct term is, It changes so often now?

As you point out caucasian may not be the accurate term, fair enough, But it's hardly anything worth losing sleep over, My Hoover is a Dyson yet i still call it "the hoover"

And black people arent black ....

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

As a long time lurker, i've been dying to post this for 4 years.

It totally irks me that people keep using the term Caucasian rather than AngloSaxon. So i'm here to put it straight.

Wow. This is what you've been "dying to post" for four long years? All the issues and problems and challenges in the world -- and discussed here on ATS -- but this is your issue??? Just wow.

But just for kicks and giggles, let's take this a little further... I'm predominantly Welsh with a bit of Irish and Norwegian. I have dark hair and dark eyes, but I'm most definitely "White". But I'm sure not Anglo-Saxon. Should I demand that everyone call me Cymric? (You remember the Cymry, right? They're the ones that the Anglo Saxons so savagely and brutally attacked... You may be quite proud of that, but why would the Cymry and Celts want to be associated with the Anglo Saxons at all???) Of course, even Cymric leaves out the Celtic/Gaelic connection from the Irish... and my Scandinavian/Nordic roots.

So right there, we have four distinct White ancestries -- not simply Anglo Saxon. You might guess my ancestry if you knew my maiden name, which is very Welsh... but not by my married name. So what would you call me? How would you even know what to call me? How would anyone even know what to call you? How about my kids? Then we have to add Mexican and Apache blood... My son looks all White, but my daughter does not although she has more Welsh and Irish blood than anything else. How would anyone know what to call them? Simply by looking at them, no one would know they have exactly the same ancestry.

Starts getting just a little impractical and unrealistic, doesn't it? (Not to mention completely ridiculous!)

But no worries for you from this corner... prior to this thread, I don't even remember the last time I used the word "Caucasian." I just say "White" -- keeping it simple. So I won't call you that oh-so-dreaded word. But I won't be calling you Anglo-Saxon either -- or anything probably. And I really don't care what you call me... I'm sure I've been called worse by someone before and will be again!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColaTesla
What does it matter? , I dont think anyone has ever been offended by being called caucasian, Well maybe the SJW's, but they get offended at everything which makes any arguments the have Null.

No kidding, the average SJW seems to be looking for any argument they can drudge up, no matter how asinine. Here's an idea to get their heckles up, though -- next time opportunity presents itself, ask what breed of Human they are. Bet the gears jam up over the terminology XD

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

There are no black or brown Caucasians as far as I'm aware.

There are about a billion brown Caucasians living on the Indian Subcontinent. In fact, most Caucasians are brown. The white ones are in the minority.

Well, that's my anthropology exam screwed.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

What if I'm not English at all? Calling all whites Anglo-Saxon would be like calling all Whites Spaniards.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   
yEAH, iM OFFENDED. iM NOT WHITE, iM A CREAM COLOR. wHITE IS HE COLOR OF PAPER, IM SO OFFENDED.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: beeeyotch

yeah well everyone is f'ing offended by everything these days....

so i'm not surprised in the least.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

What if I'm not English at all? Calling all whites Anglo-Saxon would be like calling all Whites Spaniards.

Yeah but i'm only referring to people like myself.

I 'Am' Anglo Saxon.

This means something to me.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: digital01anarchy
Additionally, we now know our species first appeared in Africa, so the biology isn’t any good either.

Lol the out of africa theory is a theory not proven fact. It is not racist. LOL pretty soon black history revisionist will say its racist that most of white population had colored eyes and blond hair and that in actuality it was always black people to have blue eyes and blond hair first.
Actually both of those were diseases and/or mutations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join