It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Stop using the word "Caucasian" to mean white

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   
As a long time lurker, i've been dying to post this for 4 years.

It totally irks me that people keep using the term Caucasian rather than AngloSaxon. So i'm here to put it straight.

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

Caucasian, literally, refers to people native to the Caucasus, but it has become interchangeable with any number of ‘White’ populations, most of wh1om trace their ancestry to Europe. One gets the feeling that the term ‘White’ fell out of favor and was replaced by ‘Caucasian’ much like ‘Black’ was replaced by ‘African-American’. But the roots of such terminology are a bit disturbing; it was postulated that the natives of the Caucasus exhibited the idealized physical appearance so the Caucasus were believed to be the birthplace of mankind.

The logic behind this idea — the assumption that Whites exhibit the best physical appearance — is implicitly racist. Additionally, we now know our species first appeared in Africa, so the biology isn’t any good either. The connotations of the term Caucasian along with the geographical absurdity of using that term to describe all Europeans or Whites are the two main reasons we should abandon the term.

Up until the late 1990s I had thought of people from the Caucasus mountains when I heard the term, but then I began to reorient my assumption because of its colloquial usage. But as it became more and more popular I got more irritated, because it became obvious that the type of people who now were using the term likely did not know where the Caucasus mountains were.

While the older classical physical anthropology terms like “Negroid” and “Caucasoid” fell into disuse after 1960, as you’d expect, “Caucasian” went through a renaissance in the 1990s. I think RPM’s supposition is probably correct, people wanted a pretentious term somewhat less coarse than white, and since most people are geography-challenged, “Caucasian” sounds good if you want to pose as the faux-sophisticate.

As someone who is dominantly 'white' i would like to be addressed by my proper title, which is Anglo Saxon.

That's all.

+26 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Anglo-Saxon is an even less accurate way of describing whites though..

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Additionally, we now know our species first appeared in Africa, so the biology isn’t any good either.

Lol the out of africa theory is a theory not proven fact. It is not racist. LOL pretty soon black history revisionist will say its racist that most of white population had colored eyes and blond hair and that in actuality it was always black people to have blue eyes and blond hair first.

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I object to being referred to as anything other than human, or metalhead.

I am not defined by the parameters of my skin tone.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
With all due respect...who cares? That it bugs you that much baffles me

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Depends on your heritage, it's more accurate than saying people of a mountain range though.

A good portion of white people have anglo-saxon and german lineage.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I am proto european....not anglo saxon or caucasian, or other type of white.

edit on 10 31 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I only really hear police use the term. " Suspect is an anglo saxon male, 6ft tall, 220 pounds, brown hair, blue top and jeans..." That would just sound odd.

I would wonder if he should be wearing a viking or a pilgrim outfit.
edit on 31-10-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Anglo-Saxan is a very specific group of people though, a person with Italian ancestry certainly won't identify as Anglo-Saxon, but can identify as Caucasian.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Those are good examples for anglo saxons

however i really hate being called a cock asian.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Evolution and the big bang are theories also. Black history revisionist? Not to sure where your going with this. Im sure you know that African languages, religions, cultures and history was taken. In my honest opinion you sound pretty insecure in who you are. As for the hair and eyes i will leave that alone because i know the point you wanted to make. Pretty ridiculous but yea.
edit on 31-10-2016 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

And that's nice, you should be proud of who you are.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: digital01anarchy

I know, that drives me crazy as well.
People still believe the out of Africa theory. That's wacked.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

I fail to see the logic in your response.

How exactly do you mean?

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It's just a box, that being said skin colour is a protected characteristic.

I consider being white a big part of me and my heritage, as much as I identify being English and British. There isn't many groups of people that can find no shame in the lineage and history they share, so on that note yes I have no issue with the past or the connotations associated with my group of people.

It's a sad world when a characteristic defines the person especially when it's a protected on like skin colour or religious belief. But of course, we are human beings first.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

With all due respect, it does bother me when people 'mis label' me. A bit racist of you isn't it, to expect me not to speak out about this when there are other colored people speaking out for their heritage.

Or are the only ones allowed to speak out about their heritage those from the BLM movement and illegal immigrants? Then it's ok right?

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I was often referred to as "hey whitey" where I worked in Aussie. Didn't care... When I was called "son of Captain Cook?, I carefully explained that the good Captain was the first aboriginal man who discovered "Strayla". And went on a long story about how all us caucasians were slaves to build the country to where it is today.

We just kept working hard and imported other caucasians and asians to make to country better for the original discoverers.

Sadly I digress. I can't care less about what I'm called but to the persons that call me out as white or caucasian or perhaps the son of Capt Cook please don't get upset if I reply with the "B" or perhaps the "N" word.

I am not racist if I reply in kind.

My regards,

bally

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Sure i agree, we are Human Beings first.
But ... I am proud of my own Heritage. That's how Cultures have carried on the information about who they are and where they come from for Centuries. Multiculturism is destroying that. Because the sheep only know one word...Baaaaa.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

I was often referred to as "hey whitey" where I worked in Aussie. Didn't care... When I was called "son of Captain Cook?, I carefully explained that the good Captain was the first aboriginal man who discovered "Strayla". And went on a long story about how all us caucasians were slaves to build the country to where it is today.

We just kept working hard and imported other caucasians and asians to make to country better for the original discoverers.

Sadly I digress. I can't care less about what I'm called but to the persons that call me out as white or caucasian or perhaps the son of Capt Cook please don't get upset if I reply with the "B" or perhaps the "N" word.

I am not racist if I reply in kind.

My regards,

bally

No i hear you.

I've heard terms as well towards white people. Cracker/Whitey etc. And i'm never offended.

I don't get why people would be offended by being called 'names' either. But being called a Caucasian when i'm clearly not does bug me, i admit that.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:30 AM
link   

You got it there mate...

My kind regards,

Bally

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join