It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Thoughts on Why the Bible is Inspired

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

those laws were for Jews living under the Law of Moses in their land and kingdom.

Not applicable to any Gentile unless they want to live with the Jews in Israel under the law of Moses in their kingdom.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Yes, I know that. So what?

They still come from the same God the Christians follow.

They were still relevant at some point in time.
edit on 10-31-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: loveofneighbor

The Bible is a corrupt set of writings even if faithfully translated from ancient texts.

It portrays God as a vindictive and tyrannical psycopath and is full of disgusting activity.

It was originally universally believed Moses wrote the Torah and now that has been abandoned and the Torah said to be from at least 4 sources put together despite contradictions.

The New Testament is hopeless, call it inspired all you want but it's not inspired by truth and the Gospels anonymous with Acts a work of fiction and Paul's epistles pseudepigraphal except for allegedly 7 but nobody knows if Paul ever existed in reality, just Saul the Pharisee in Josephus who fits but doesn't become a Christian.

If Paul was that Saul it makes sense why he was hated in Asia and found success only among Greeks and Romans and had a friend related to Herod.

posted on Nov, 17 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveofneighbor
The Bible has 66 books (I find that curious because the number six is a man's number and is incomplete.

Huh? Says who? And what does the bolded part even mean?
edit on 17-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: loveofneighbor
The Bible has 66 books (I find that curious because the number six is a man's number and is incomplete.

Huh? Says who? And what does the bolded part even mean?

He means that man was created on the 6th day.

But he doesn't know that the original Torah and books of the prophets was counted as 22, one for each letter of the Hebrew aleph beth.

But not all Bibles, including the first Catholic Bibles and todays (minus Hermas, Barnabas and Clement) with the Apocrypha that was rejected by Protestants.

So it's actually more than 66, the Protestants removed what were and are Catholicism Canonical texts.

So 66 is a fake amount, incomplete and the only complete Bible is the Ethiopian with 80 something books.

We are dealing with a slight fanatic who believes in magic numbers as evidence of Divinity.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer

originally posted by: breakingbs
a reply to: Peeple

Knowing what? There are many pagan paths. Each claims that knowledge is subjective. If you're going to go that route than what you will hear ironically is that there are many paths to the truth. So which of these to choose? And which of these "truths" do you claim to seek to find out??

Eta, reminds me of x files: "bew bew bew bew bew bew...dunnada dunnada dun.." "the "truth" is out there.." oh, really??? Makes for good sci-fi though..

There is but ONE WAY to the father and that is through the son.......

John 14:6 - “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

So there is but ONE WAY ......according to my Christian faith.

Why do you think there is one way other than what the men who wrote the Bible are telling you so?

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SethTsaddik

The Bible is a corrupt set of writings even if faithfully translated from ancient texts.

It portrays God as a vindictive and tyrannical psycopath and is full of disgusting activity.

It was originally universally believed Moses wrote the Torah and now that has been abandoned and the Torah said to be from at least 4 sources put together despite contradictions.

The New Testament is hopeless, call it inspired all you want but it's not inspired by truth and the Gospels anonymous with Acts a work of fiction and Paul's epistles pseudepigraphal except for allegedly 7 but nobody knows if Paul ever existed in reality, just Saul the Pharisee in Josephus who fits but doesn't become a Christian.

If Paul was that Saul it makes sense why he was hated in Asia and found success only among Greeks and Romans and had a friend related to Herod.

I agree.

However, the Bible should be read as metaphor not to be taken out of the historical context it was written. That said, the essential message of the Bible has value and that message is living a moral life is important.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: SethTsaddik

I agree.

However, the Bible should be read as metaphor not to be taken out of the historical context it was written. That said, the essential message of the Bible has value and that message is living a moral life is important.

Well, it definitely should be read as a series of parables or metaphors and is in Judaism. That's why they have a vast library of Talmud and the Zoharic writings, because the contents are disturbing.

In the case of the Talmud they made it worse, sickening sometimes, but I would say that the Zohar got it right, despite the behavior of the Sabbateans and later Hasidim, the contents are beautiful and not at all like the disturbing Tanakh.

Much of the principles of the OT are not good, racial superiority being one of the worst but God ordering the Israelites not to kill then ordering them to comit genocide does not teach morality at all.

The Qur'an is nowhere near as violent as the Tanakh and teaches to get along with Jews and Christians, that they have nothing to fear at death if they believe and act like it.

Yet the Tanakh contradicts itself and it's commandment not to kill is taken in the Talmud as only applying to Jews, goyim are animals says the Talmud.

I wonder where they got that idea?

posted on Nov, 23 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It's only 66 books because of our human ordering and numbering of the books. Which has changed over the centuries, especially if you compare Christian and Jewish views as to what to count as 1, 2 or 3 books (I think for example that Chronicles is 1 book for Jewish people, not sure if I picked a correct example or if that's still the case, I'd have to check, but I do know the numbers of books has changed as viewed by different religions). On a sidenote, chapter and verse numbers were added later as well.
edit on 23-11-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

And this is the problem. Far too many people see beleif as proof. They don't get the difference between spiritual knowledge (belief aka gnosis) and intellectual knowledge (evidence aka eídein). Thus they find a collection of religious texts as their only guide. Most people who thus rely on a religious text as their only guide, end up achieving nothing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join