It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Thoughts on Why the Bible is Inspired

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1
" not wrong but just in error"...lmao. it's why I love these forums cos of statements like this. Completely oblivious to what you type. Like he loves you through pure love. Like defining a word and using the word in the definition.

Your quote reminds me of my favourite saying I use all the time. " I'm never wrong, I thought I was once but I was mistaken"

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: GemmyMcGemJew

Define baptism . is it sprinkling or is it dunking .Is it necessary ? Or try the subject of tongues . There is a lot of subject matter that varies with timing and geography .What can and cant be said about circumcision might also apply to baptism . Scientist perform experiments that might not be wrong but could have errors in them . They are two different words that can mean similar things but can also mean different things . glad you liked it :>)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: loveofneighbor
I'm begging you please reread what you wrote and please elaborate. This will be very interesting/amusing.are people of deep religious beliefs not understand what they say? Meaningless sentences, no substance use end of last sentence to start new sentence leading onto completely unrelated transition.

Love believes all thing? WHAT ON EARTH DOES THAT MEAN? Is love sentient and self aware?

Love comes from knowledge not faith. You love someone cos you know em, infatuation comes from faith.

Man I love religion. Adleast you came to a good website where you can broaden your knowledge and the mechanisms that created your religion.

I can assure you your views will change in time once you learn how the religion started ( outside what your religion teaches you as truth)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You can do whatever you wish with your time. I would ask of thee to take a more logical/scientific perspective on religion. Try every method possible to disproving your religion. If you have tried everything, researched the lot and the only conclusion you can come to is its true than fair enough. It will reasfirm your faith and it will be stronger than ever.Carry on. Just another life wasted.

But if you begin to understand the purpose behind it and the fabrications/deceit/manipulation of history then I ask thee to focus your mind on subjects that could benefit man kind/ family/ mind.

Remember you don't need a book yo understand basic morals. You won't become a bad person by wanting to understand the world you live in. And if I'm wrong god will understand.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I have to ask. You are fully aware that the stories in the bible were taken from previous religions/societies right? Noahs ark is a rip off from sumerian culture with the story of gilgamesh and the garden of Eden was taken from there.

Now knowing this, knowing that the christians were not the true founders of these fabrications, how can you justify in your mind and soul that this is a religion to believe in ? I really need to know this please.

Isn't it like accepting being conned by a Nigerian prince, knowing he's stolen all your money (money being replaced by the word perspective in this context) then saying "but I like the guy and he did say he would call back soon".

Why would you dedicate time and thought into some you know for a fact is plagerised.

I want to know how you can combat this internal conflict? I genuinely don't understand it myself. If it's through lack of wanting to better you understanding outside the book then fair enough but if it isn't then I can't comprehend it. Soz.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus
a reply to: Woodcarver

Not to murder but to kill. Yes.

What's the difference?

Kill people who don't listen to Priests. (Deuteronomy 17:12)
Kill witches. (Exodus 22:17)
Kill fortunetellers. (Leviticus 20:27)
Kill homosexuals. (Leviticus 20:13)
Kill nonbelievers. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)
Kill followers of other religions. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12, Deuteronomy 17:2-5)
Kill false prophets. (Deuteronomy 13:1-5, 18:20-22, Zechariah 13:3)
Kill an entire town if anyone there worships another God. (Deuteronomy 13:13-19)
Kill women who are not virgins on their wedding night. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21)
Kill people working on the Sabbath. (Exodus 31:12-15)
Kill sons of sinners. (Isaiah 14:21)
Kill in the name of the Lord. (Jeremiah 48:10)

Death for striking parents. (Exodus 21:15)
Death for cursing parents. (Leviticus 20:9, Proverbs 20:20)
Death for fornication. (Leviticus 21:9)
Death for adultery. (Leviticus 20:10)
Death for blasphemy. (Leviticus 24:10-16)
Death to followers of other religions. (Exodus 22:19)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
Well killing is still applicable in today society. I feel sorry for the ones who don't maintain livestock...gods gonna be very very angry in the afterlife.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
As for the Bible being divinely inspired...

One only needs to objectively research the history of the early Israelites to understand that divine inspiration had nothing to do with it.

This course examines the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) as an expression of the religious life and thought of ancient Israel, and a foundational document of Western civilization. A wide range of methodologies, including source criticism and the historical-critical school, tradition criticism, redaction criticism, and literary and canonical approaches are applied to the study and interpretation of the Bible. Special emphasis is placed on the Bible against the backdrop of its historical and cultural setting in the Ancient Near East.

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10-30-2016 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Can you elaborate on the point your trying to make please?

Thank you!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

You are fully aware that the stories in the bible were taken from previous religions/societies right? Noahs ark is a rip off from sumerian culture with the story of gilgamesh and the garden of Eden was taken from there.
Yes I am aware of some of the Biblical stories that have a cross reference to other cultures .I find it interesting how the different accounts are told weather in ancient ME or even in the North American Natives stories .

The Book of acts picks up on the continuation of the previous stories and promises made . The Old Testament was not a Christian invention but the same God revealing His plan for His creation .

Why would you dedicate time and thought into some you know for a fact is plagerised.
The Old testament is quoted in the New but I don't see it as plagiarizing . In fact there is new material in the new that does not exist in the Old . And there is stuff in the old that is not mentioned in the new . When Jesus would say " You have heard it said " but I say unto you " He was bringing a different perspective to the minds of men . He even goes to explaining to a teacher the principal of being born again . Its a spiritual deal and had nothing to do with the physical aspect of being born .

I want to know how you can combat this internal conflict? I genuinely don't understand it myself. If it's through lack of wanting to better you understanding outside the book then fair enough but if it isn't then I can't comprehend it
I guess its about having a world view while trying to understand the un-seen realm of the spiritual world I believe exist . I think that even science is wrestling with these questions and have come up with different explanations .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Merely mocking the strange standards of other posters. Murder not counting as killing n all.

The second statement is in relation to how applicable the bible is in today's society.
edit on 30-10-2016 by GemmyMcGemJew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I've always struggled with this. People accepting that half could be false/plagerised/ metaphorical yet the other half is fact, although the latter half was devised hundreds of years after the emergence of jesus, an after thought if you would.

Was a religion devised by the Romans. Social/financial/spiritual control of the masses.

Also did Arabic people say "thy" and "thee" back then? So much emphasis on the underlying reasons/signs of scriptures when you know they are based on mistranslations/ lack of understanding of context and dialect?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I've always struggled with this. People accepting that half could be false/plagerised/ metaphorical yet the other half is fact, although the latter half was devised hundreds of years after the emergence of jesus, an after thought if you would.

The Bible uses lots of metaphor ,allegory and other types of literature . As to the stories that have commonalty , well why not ? If there was a Beginning then the closer to the source the closer the stories would be .If a flood happened then it would not be surprising to find different flood stories . We have scripture earlier the Jesus if we are date setting . The King James language shouldn't be a issue ,although it could be a challenge to English speakers of today . A good example I like to use is the Auzzi Bible
It is in English but most English speakers would be challenged to follow along .
edit on 30-10-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Fair enough. Although I beg you not to believe in a religion. Believe in god/spirits whatever you like, I can't argue with that, cos I can't prove any of those. But religion is a known fabrication. Follow tour heart rather than what you have been told to believe.

Good luck in the future. Hope you find the truth sooner than later.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Well God does meet us where we are as individuals and so the work He does inside us is His call.
cliche? That sounds like something that you were told over and over in sunday school. It is a nonsense phrase that is used to avoid answering real questions.

"God meets you where you are?"

"God is love?"

These statements are meant to be offered as little nuggets of wisdom? They don't mean anything. Nothing substantial without some good reason to believe in a god. At best, it is a presuppositional statement which requires you to take the existance of a god for granted. I would think that the people who want god to be real would be at the forfront of the effort to find some kind of meaningful evidence to support their beliefs before they start making up properties to give him.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Well if you are going to believe there really is a God then really believing He exist keeps things real . Now if you are going to say you believe but dont really then you are not being true to yourself or to God ...How does that work anyway ? Oh yea they are called false believers . Oh and I never went to sunday school . I was raised a atheist .
edit on 30-10-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

That sounds like more of the same. Why do you believe in god?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Because I think there is a God that created it all .

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: DeathSlayer

Don't you mean, your interpretation of the bible? If someone else has a different interpretation, would you consider them wrong?

Was the one sentence to difficult for you to understand? NO interpetation is needed pretty clear to me and to the world.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

I ignored your aloof and arrogant message but then decided to post this scene.

Like Gandalf said, be silent, keep your forked tongue behind your teeth...I did not come here to brandy words with a crooked worm....

youtu.be...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join