It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Thoughts on Why the Bible is Inspired

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: Woodcarver

Don't you mean, your interpretation of the bible? If someone else has a different interpretation, would you consider them wrong?
not wrong but just in error . There are so many dot's to connect and consider . As a person grows in the knowledge of God the seemingly many contradictions become fewer and fewer as you build a coherent contextualized narrative for yourself . One Gospel varies from the others and adds points that the others did not . It can become a musical symphony with many instruments all sounding different but playing the same tune .

Even the 10 commandments can be expounded upon and has many layers of application that are not mentioned in the word . I think that is what makes it special and personal . Its alive and should have very few dogmas but man likes his dogmas .

If someone commits some heinous crime against your family, but claims they were inspired by god to do it, how would you deal with that?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

No God said that when Babylon would be overthrown their conquerors would bash their babies on rocks and they (the conquerors) would be happy about it.

O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. Psalms 137:9

That isn't a command.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Don't you mean, your interpretation of the bible? If someone else has a different interpretation, would you consider them wrong?
not wrong but just in error . There are so many dot's to connect and consider . As a person grows in the knowledge of God the seemingly many contradictions become fewer and fewer as you build a coherent contextualized narrative for yourself . One Gospel varies from the others and adds points that the others did not . It can become a musical symphony with many instruments all sounding different but playing the same tune .

Even the 10 commandments can be expounded upon and has many layers of application that are not mentioned in the word . I think that is what makes it special and personal . Its alive and should have very few dogmas but man likes his dogmas .

What do you mean by it's alive? I know that you don't mean that it is alive in the sense that it is living like i am alive. It is the misuse of words in this fashion that makes all of your explanations senseless. What do you really mean when you say. It should have few dogma's? Isn't that the whole point of religion? To tell you concretely how to live so as not to upset god?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
That's nice, my quote was a response to the poster..

edit on 30-10-2016 by breakingbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Josephus

No God said that when Babylon would be overthrown their conquerors would bash their babies on rocks and they (the conquerors) would be happy about it.

O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones. Psalms 137:9

That isn't a command.

Did/does god ever command murder?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

You could literally use any book as inspiration/explanation for the quandries of life. It has been done with many classics. I.e. The odyssey, the illiad, winnie the pooh, the art of war, aesop's fables, etc, etc. a philosophy can be built upon any idea. Any time you re-read a book, you will find that you have new revelations as to how it applies to whatever you are applying it to.
Yes you could and people do ...... The Bible is a special book that can mean many thing to many people that read and study it . Winnie the pooh as well . There is a difference between the two books though . And there are differences between the books of the bible . Trying to put together all the who's what's when's where's why's and how's of the two books can be both fun and enjoyable . Winnie the Pooh is not part of the cannon and would not even fall into extra biblical books . Comparing the two is like comparing advanced science to making mud paddies .

When God told the Israelite's that He was going to judge them for breaking His Sabbath He got the King of Babylon to take them into captivity . Those that accepted it were probably spared their lives while the others willing to fight to the death probably died .Much like the ones that entered the Ark in Noah's day . But God had a plan and has spoken of a salvation through His son as a final way of dealing with humans . The older stories are types . We all have the free will to choose or not . Its a free gift that promises eternal life to a new world without sin and evil . Gods plan A is still plan A and He will bring it about .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

By that logic then cursing is inspired of God.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

So, are all interpretations of the bible correct? Are everybody's ideas about the various claims made in the bible correct?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: loveofneighbor

If you need inspiration from a fairy tale, so be it, personally, all I have ever needed to know or feel is not bound to a book, except the Wizard Of Oz, now there is a good book (movie). Just click 3 times!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Not to murder but to kill. Yes.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If someone commits some heinous crime against your family, but claims they were inspired by god to do it, how would you deal with that?
A cousin and good friend of our family brutally murdered my father . He said that the devil told him to do it .I don't think God would tell me to kill someone but might inform me to protect my family with my life .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I don't think so.

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. 2 Peter 1:19-21

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So, are all interpretations of the bible correct? Are everybody's ideas about the various claims made in the bible correct?
I think that circumstances might play a roll in what could be considered correct on many things . Obviously a RCC will have their doctrine differ from other types of churches . Seems that just by looking at buildings some people can conclude what denomination a church could be . Some church gatherings happen in peoples homes so saying a building is a church is a bit erroneous when you dig deeper into the subject . But its close enough for Government work today and what passes as a political statement .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

I think that circumstances might play a roll in what could be considered correct on many things . Obviously a RCC will have their doctrine differ from other types of churches . Seems that just by looking at buildings some people can conclude what denomination a church could be . Some church gatherings happen in peoples homes so saying a building is a church is a bit erroneous when you dig deeper into the subject . But its close enough for Government work today and what passes as a political statement .
i'm sorry but i feel like you are being purposely vague. What circumstances might play a role in figuring out which religious interpretation is true?

How can one churches doctrine be different than another's if the words are inspired by an all powerful omniscient being?
edit on 30-10-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   

What circumstances might play a role in figuring out which religious interpretation is true?
It boils down to a case by case study and look. Not trying to be vague but when you say true the is a lot that goes into it . Jesus said ,where there are two or more gathered in His name then He would be there . Two people gathered together constitutes a church .No building needed and no clergy . So what is the truth ? Some groups have creeds and inside some groups we find true believers sitting alongside of none believers . What is true ?

Its a big subject that can be studied and has truth attached to it .

How can one churches doctrine be different than another's if the words are inspired by an all powerful omniscient being?
Just as a comparison , how could there be deputes and differing opinions on the US constitution ? Kind of works the same way with the differing religions .
edit on 30-10-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

It sounds like you are describing something that is very subjective. I don't see how the term truth can be applied to it, if it is always dependent upon personal revelation? Are you using the term truth like you used the term alive earlier?

You seem to be the only one willing to humor me in this thread.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

The constitution does not claim to be inspired by gods. It is also said to be a living document, meaning that it is open to interpretation and can be changed if enough people decide it should be. (Much like you used the term before). Is there anything in the bible you would support being changed?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
edit on 30-10-2016 by breakingbs because: yeah, nm..

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

It sounds like you are describing something that is very subjective.
Well God does meet us where we are as individuals and so the work He does inside us is His call.

You seem to be the only one willing to humor me in this thread.
I wasn't looking to humor you and am trying to be as honest as I can . I am still a work in progress and have not mastered this thing called truth .

It is also said to be a living document, meaning that it is open to interpretation and can be changed if enough people decide it should be. (Much like you used the term before). Is there anything in the bible you would support being changed?
The Bible is said to be a living document and the book of Act's is unfinished . As to changes, well there are some things I have changed my understanding of and I suppose it could be re-arranged as Ernest Martin has written about in his work "Restoring the Original Bible" www.askelm.com...

Seeing we already have many good translations to consider the tools for studying the book is great .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
That just means you lack comprehension, that's all.

If you can't understand the meaning of a statement after reading it several times then you unfortunately have deep seeded issues.

Doing the same thing looking for a different outcome is insanity in its purest form.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join