It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winnebago Trip With MOM!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Before my Mother moved on to her next destination, we had big plans. One day, supposedly after my Father flew the coup, we were going to take the money from the estate and buy a Winnebago and take a road trip, Me, My Mom and My Wife. I was tasked with planning said trip and this map is a rendition I came up with.

We start in Florida near West Palm and venture up the East coast on Interstate 95. Along the way we stop in various places through each state. Augustus to Niagra Falls and the many state park recreation grounds for our camping needs. I was not worried about an itinerary of sorts. We were just going to go where the road took us.

The goal was to hit every state with the exception of 2, Alaska and Hawaii. We figured on a year give or take 2 weeks, 1 week in every state or at least in most of them, didn't really need to spend a week in some of them, just a drive by for say, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Delaware, Mississippi and Alabama. We would take pictures the whole trip and make an album or book out of them when all was said and done. Souvenirs from every state would fill the top of the motor home along the way.

We would have had a blast, but Mom did not keep up her end of the bargain. I still have this on my bucket list of things to do and hopefully one day my Wife and I can make it happen. Quite a trek to make, 1000's of miles and tons of driving. Probably a roll of film each day. Hundreds of meals and lots of people to meet along the way.

My Mom would strike a conversation with everyone. She just loved to talk. I miss her so much and wish so badly we could have done this together. I have a scarf of hers and a little tote bag that would make the trip and her goal for every state would have been to have breakfast at the dumpiest place we could find; 2 eggs over medium (crispy around the edges), 2 well done pieces of bacon, 2 well done sausage patties, biscuits and cream gravy, grits and hashbrowns (scattered and well done) with OJ and a coffee (cream and 2 sugars). Of course, when in a pinch, I would cook for her!

Thanks for letting me share our trip with you!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

It sounds like a lovely trip which I'm sure your mother would have really enjoyed. My best thoughts to you.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Dude. . . you made me cry.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Sounds like fun . Though now hungry after read bout eat at cheap diners .

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing a little piece of you with us searcher. I just texted my mom I love her. Hope you get to take your trip soon.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I hope you get to take that journey. Best of luck to you!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
That would be a fantastic trip, best of luck :-)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I love the idea and I hope you get to go. I'm sorry that you lost your Mother before you could share the experience. From your description of her breakfast choices, a southern lady?

I have dreamed of something very similar when my children are on their own. Do you think one year is enough time? I ask only because of 'what ifs?'
What if you find somewhere you really enjoy and want to spend more time? There are only 24 hours in a day to see the things you may want to see.

There is/used to be a 'program' called Workkamper that allows one to travel and commit to work, in the campground/resort for certain days/times. Something like that could help offset the cost and allow you to spend a little more than a week in each location/state. It's been many years since I've been involved in the program but, folks would plan their entire year's travel in advance and more often than not their campsite was free and they received a small salary to boot.

Just offering other ideas/thoughts for you not trying to change yours

I think it's fantastic and good luck to you!
There are so many places to see and people to meet. It would be exciting!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I wanted to take my mother to the beach so badly-she wanted to go too as we had lived in south Florida for 10 years when I was growing up. Then she and her husband began having several serious health issues and now it would be impossible -they are almost 90.

So, I know how you feel. The only consolation I have is they had a full life with lots of traveling and have lived well-probably living longer and better than most-and we have maintained the many photo albums of their joyous adventures.

Deeply feel your loss-I just try to remember the happiness they have lived-knowing not everyone gets to experience a good long life, good memories. Maybe you can see it that way too- feel for you. Watching your parents move on is not for the faint of heart.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

No, she was born and raised in Chicago, but she did eventually end up in the South, TN, and I guess she did evolve into a Suthern Lady, lol!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Thanks, but I do not consider it a loss, I can take comfort in knowing the worst for her was over and the next step of her journey is fortunate to have her in their midst.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

I have made the trip 1000 times in my dreams and it is always different, but fun the whole way!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

Aww, you are welcomed and I think we all need to worry less about what we don't have and embrace what we do!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: VengefulGhost

When we were younger and on our road trips, she would follow the truckers to those places, they always knew the best places and she loved to talk them up on the cb to pick their brains. Many times they would say hey little lady come n join us!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hanky? Tears of joy I hope, this was not intended to be sad, just melancholy, perhaps, with a hint of regret.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

Thanks, I am sure when the time comes she will be flapping her wings along with us every step of the way, probably a flat tire or 2 to make sure we get the best seat at the diner!
edit on 10-30-2016 by searcherfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   

What a lovely idea!!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: searcherfortruth
a reply to: DarkvsLight29

I have made the trip 1000 times in my dreams and it is always different, but fun the whole way!

Cool, I'd be dreaming the same if it were me, least it's something to dream about until you make road trip for real, hope you get to ASAP and then let us know how it goes.

new topics

top topics

join