It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nineties UK Rave scene

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
My 90's memories are of seeing the likes of Andy C, Hype, Micky Finn, Slipmatt etc. Hated happycore, loved old school breakbeat, jungle and DnB. Countless World Dance, HelterSkelter, Dreamscape etc Do's are about all i remember of that 4-5 year period lol.
edit on 30-10-2016 by kountzero because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bspiracy
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Ive compared notes with some cali women and ive been told some enviable stories. đź‘Ť

The techno viking meme was from 2000 and i was glad it showed a closer to life view of what tech music spawned in people that grew from early 90s euro roots.. A glimpse at least.

b

Cool. Like I said, there was a complete and huge rave scene, with every theme and music variation. We are talking an underground rave every night in the San Francisco area, sometimes a lot of them per night. It merged with the pre existing counter culture of ca. If one recalls, the hippy movement started in ca.
edit on 30-10-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
a reply to: AbdulAlhazred

I used to go to a lot of quarry/abandoned ware house parties back in the mid-90's..

In NYC also, we had raves in abandoned warehouses and other interesting venues. In some warehouses you had to wear dust masks since it was so dusty. Later it was a style. In those days people had big pants, candy necklaces, Polo/Ralph Lauren shirts, pacifiers, big piercings, and colored hair. You also had a store here L.S.D. - Liquid Sky Designs which was sort of the headquarters which was also where all bus trips left to attend raves in different states. Maybe you saw the robot logo. It was run by DJ - Soul Slinger.

-----

That Aphex Digeridoo track was the classic break beat sound in the early mid nineties which came and left.
Dude, I live in NYC. The last *real* rave I went to was an Alice in Wonderland warehouse party in Brooklyn in 2012.

In getting too old. 35 now. The old real raves are extremely hard to find, the vibe changed, and it gets hard to keep it up as one gets older. I still have amazing memories of the old days tho!
edit on 30-10-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Yeah, I'm Scottish, but I thought someone best mention the Detroit tech/house scene, particularly as the OP seemed unaware of rave/dance musics existence in the US during that time. No offence OP, but you've missed out!

I've neglected my local scene in my posting though. Slam and the Soma label are from my neck of the woods, and more On Topic I suppose -

(tune properly kicks in around 01:15)

a reply to: nOraKat

Sounds very similar to a lot of illegal raves i've been to. I was friends with a few dudes that had a 30kW Sound System that called themselves Pedigree Skum (a play on a dog food brand called Pedigree Chum). Rarely set up the full 30kW system, as 5-10kW was more than enough for most of the outdoor locations they would set up. Worst location ever though was 1 New Year, they set it up in an abandoned abattoir in Edinburgh. Good party, but pretty manky (dirty) venue!

edit on 30-10-2016 by AbdulAlhazred because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

It is 2016 already and me getting a nice trip down memory lane because of this thread makes me kind of old I guess.

From the more accessible Detroit Techno to the obscure Tekno ~ Acid... Dumbass likes.

Multiple examples like Jeff Mills in this thread, he once said, I'm not sure where and when.. too long ago stored in exploded memory cells:

When you mix three records together you'll hear sounds that are on none of them, and that is what it is all about...

Yup... He was right about that.

But who doesn't remember this one:

Public Energy - 303

And who from the Underground scene of Europe doesn't remember Teknival?

Sometimes I miss the walls of sounds

Well let us continue the day with some underground coffee as there is little mention of that party of the scene.

Instant Coffee (Robbert Mononom - Sensory Overload)

And to many great songs from this dude so for now just this one:

Curley - Dancing with the Devil

Ok just another one from him

Curley - Have an Axe to Grind

I miss those unregulated parties that started when they started and stopped when they stopped.

edit on 30-10-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

a reply to: FlyingFox

I think I went to that party. That was Special K / Circle productions from Philly that did the It parties. What year was that?

-----

edit:

Yeah I was right.. I just found an article:

It’s been a long time, but Circle (formerly Special K) is back with another "It" party. Since the mid-’90s, unforgettable raves like "Bust It," "Do It," "Chocol-It" and the notorious "It" (held at the Valley Forge Convention Center) all helped to shape Philly’s electronic music scene with class and taste..
- article

man I have a good memory.. Actually our bus broke down on the way to that party.

Thank you for that. Sean Thomas is a friend of mine. More or less I met Karl and all of the crew over time. Those were a fun bunch of mfers.

It was funny for me. My college friends owned nightclubs, and from them I knew House DJs like Josh Wink...and I worked a few nights here and there too.
Then I also was running with Scotty Storch and The Roots, who were my "homies" from living in the hood....Downtown in Philly.
But then the rave kids were also once-removed from both of those scenes and were my ~personal~ friends....like dating my female friends etc. I chose to hang out with them because they were by far the most fun and the music was the best.

If you ever heard of "Concrete Jungle", that was my friend Mouse's party. What a hoot. She and I would also do NYC gigs, she had great connections there. I still have my stub from Daft Punk in 1999 at Hammerstein, VIP. That show was ~amazing~. Another good show was Orbital w/Rabbin in the Moon. Bjork, Beastie Boys were in the VIP and JFK Jr was having his bachelor party....I kid you not. Only 1200-1500 people, as I explain, the best shows don't always have the most attendees.

Flash sideways to my best friend Scotty Storch. I spent 1000s of hours in major studios with him. What a talent....but not so much my cup of tea, just as the dance clubs, although I liked the music, I wasn't "into it". Fun with Scotty when the Roots played Letterman the first time w/Erika Badu. I was supposed to be on the guest list, but whoops, I wasn't and had to BS my way backstage. What a blast! Those guys love me. They worked-up the entire "Things Fall Apart" LP at my house.

So I blended those music influences with my powerhouse all time mega favourite band, New Order, to actually have a style that was unique and I contributed a bunch to the three different scenes. For the record, I can listen to D&B all day....but I don't.

So, after Scotty asked me to move to MIA with him to work, I said no and I gave that all up to be with my wife, who is being kind of a bitch at the moment. After all the drama with all the artists and girls, he's supposedly back with Dre now. Andre used to call my mom's house for him, back before people all had cell phones, he gave Dre my mom's landline! Not even funny, I hung out with Jay-Z for two days in NYC and had no idea who he was until I got home and saw he had an MTV Special. I said to my wife, hey, that's that dude from the thing! I have a million stories like that.

I have to say, I don't know what I would have done w/o New Order. I mean that seriously, they kept me together. They represent a 4th "scene" and have always been there for me. Something everyone should have, a "touchstone" something thematic from their lives. Something that locks down different periods of style and sound, it reminds you of the other happenings in your life...people places, reminders like which cars you had...stuff like that.

It goes back to my theory where every music genre needs a "scene" to support it. Lots of ids get lost in anarchistic styles...like old bands, even Joy Division Goth Kids, I tell them yes great... but if music sucks from your generation, go and do something about it.

Anyway, closest thing to a rave was the New Order Music Complete Tour last year. Radio City Music Hall and Tower Theatre for me. I can't say enough positive things about that album. So many different styles of songs. "Plastic" is maybe the most club-styled track.

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_music

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popular_music_genres#Electronic

edit on 30-10-2016 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I hope this helps:

Lots of material on this thread. I will check back.

Nora...very cool.

lol at watching that video, it's exactly like I remember..
edit on 30-10-2016 by FlyingFox because: Revolution 909

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:09 PM
link   
oops, looks like 1997, my memory is failing!

I do have the stub somewhere.

You won't find my flyer pic anyplace else online, so it's legit.

Oh, and...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
ugh...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Crazy amounts of music genres....this is just electronic

Ambient
Ambient dub
Dark ambient
Drone music
Space music
Illbient
Psybient
Isolationism
Lowercase
Asian Underground
Breakbeat
Acid breaks
Baltimore club
Big beat
Broken beat
Florida breaks
Nu-funk
Miami bass
Jersey club
Nu skool breaks
Disco
Afro / Cosmic disco
Disco polo
Euro disco
Italo disco
Nu-disco
Space disco
Downtempo
Acid jazz
Chill-out
New-age music
Space music
Trip hop
Drum and bass
Darkstep
Drill and bass
Drumstep
Funkstep
Hardstep
Jump-up
Liquid funk
Neurofunk
Sambass
Techstep

Dub
Electro music
Freestyle music
Electroacoustic music
Acousmatic music
Musique concrète
Electronic rock
Alternative dance
Indietronica
Coldwave
Dance-punk
Dark wave
Electroclash
Electronicore
Electropunk
Ethereal wave
Krautrock
Minimal wave
New rave
Nu-gaze
Space rock
Synthpop
Synthwave
Electronica
Berlin School
Dubtronica
Ethnic electronica
Folktronica
Funktronica
Laptronica
Livetronica
Hardcore
Gabba
4-beat
Breakbeat hardcore
Bouncy techno
Breakcore
Digital hardcore
Darkcore
Happy hardcore
Mákina
Speedcore
UK hardcore
Doomcore
Hardstyle
Dubstyle
Jumpstyle
Lento violento
Hi-NRG
Eurobeat
Eurodance
Bubblegum dance
Italo dance
House music
Acid house
Ambient house
Balearic beat
Chicago house
Deep house
Future house
Tropical house
Bouncy house
Diva house/Handbag house
Electro house
Big room
Complextro
Melbourne bounce
Fidget house
Dutch house
Moombahton
Moombahcore
Electro swing
French house
Funky house
Garage house
Ghetto house
Ghettotech
Hardbag
Hard house
Hard NRG
Nu-NRG
Hip house
Italo house
Jazz house
Kwaito
Latin house
Microhouse/Minimal house
New beat
Outsider house
Progressive house
Rara tech
Tech house
Tribal house
Trival
Witch house
Industrial music
Aggrotech
Cybergrind
Electro-industrial
Dark electro
Electronic body music
Futurepop
Industrial metal
Industrial rock
Japanoise
Neue Deutsche Härte
Power electronics
Death industrial
Power noise
IDM
Glitch
Glitch Hop
Wonky
Jungle
Darkcore jungle
Raggacore
Post-disco
Boogie
Electropop
Chillwave
Dance-pop
Dance-rock
Techno
Acid techno
Detroit techno
Dub techno
Free tekno
Minimal techno
Nortec
Tecno brega
Techdombe
Trance music
Acid trance
Balearic trance
Dream trance
Goa trance
Hard trance
Nitzhonot
Psychedelic trance
Suomisaundi
Full on
Progressive trance
Tech trance
Uplifting trance
Vocal trance
UK garage
2-step garage
Dubstep
Brostep
Chillstep
Reggaestep
Trapstep
Liquid dubstep
Neurohop
Breakstep
Future garage
Grime
Grindie
Speed garage
Bassline/4x4 garage
UK funky
Vaporwave
Video game music
Chiptune
Bitpop
Game Boy music
Skweee
Nintendocore

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

That's what this world is missing - a little fun.

I remember that track. Here it was called "Industrial'. I forgot where those vocals came from. (Still pretty close to the punk-rock era.)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Oh yeah, how was that in 2012? I saw the flyer for it.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ColaTesla

Well I see why they say White People can't dance.

These guys set us back 50 yrs.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass

It is 2016 already and me getting a nice trip down memory lane because of this thread makes me kind of old I guess.

From the more accessible Detroit Techno to the obscure Tekno ~ Acid... Dumbass likes.

Multiple examples like Jeff Mills in this thread, he once said, I'm not sure where and when.. too long ago stored in exploded memory cells:

When you mix three records together you'll hear sounds that are on none of them, and that is what it is all about...

Yup... He was right about that.

But who doesn't remember this one:

Public Energy - 303

And who from the Underground scene of Europe doesn't remember Teknival?

Sometimes I miss the walls of sounds

Well let us continue the day with some underground coffee as there is little mention of that party of the scene.

Instant Coffee (Robbert Mononom - Sensory Overload)

And to many great songs from this dude so for now just this one:

Curley - Dancing with the Devil

Ok just another one from him

Curley - Have an Axe to Grind

I miss those unregulated parties that started when they started and stopped when they stopped.

Three decks?

Watch the master at work. :-)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: kountzero

I went to a few skelters. I miss the horns!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Wow is that wall of speakers for real? That was at Teknival?

I only seen something like that once at a party in Chicago. In the morning everybody was praying to the speakers.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Man I got you started..

It was funny for me. My college friends owned nightclubs, and from them I knew House DJs like Josh Wink..

I remember when he dropped "Higher State of Consciousness"... and then that's all you heard for the rest of that year.

Did you know Local 13 in Philly? I was friends with Aristotle and Wayniac

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Every sound system has its own wall, but Teknival is a festival touring where multiple systems together party

Praying like this? lol al to familiar how you described that.

edit on 31-10-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Oh yeah, how was that in 2012? I saw the flyer for it.
It was cool. Good electro and trance. They had brought in an Alice in wonderland fair roller coaster (tiny one) that they set up in the warehouse, lol. And, there were some old school chill out rooms.

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

a reply to: StallionDuck

That's what this world is missing - a little fun.

I remember that track. Here it was called "Industrial'. I forgot where those vocals came from. (Still pretty close to the punk-rock era.)

It was part industrial here too but some of the bands were kind of in the middle between rave and industrial. Ministry would have been considered industrial as well as NIN and NE. NE kinda stuck in the middle and some of NIN (the first albums) kinda bridged a little but Lords of Acid and Front242 as well as others were definitely all RAVE.

That whole era was full of ALL KINDS of good music from Grunge to Metal to Rave, to everything. Man those were the really good old days where music was king! So much to choose from. Now it's 99% junk. No real selections. No real flavors.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join