It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Pleads With Troops Not To Revolt Over 2016

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

“What we must collectively guard against is allowing our institution to become politicized, or even perceived as being politicized, by how we conduct ourselves during engagements with the media, the public, or in open or social forums,” Dunford reminded troops.

Dunford further urged service members that the military must remain committed to the chain of command structure until the next administration comes in, and that the military should not undermine its credibility in the interim with the next president. “I have a duty to protect the integrity and political neutrality of our military profession,” he continued.
SOURCE

www.youtube.com...

Is that not the mentality that supported Nazi Germany? Is that not the mentality of the Nuremberg defense?

The Nuremberg Defense refers to a legal strategy employed by many of the defendants at the Nuremberg war crimes trials seeking to convict Nazi perpetrators of war crimes and crimes against humanity committed during the Second World War. Many of those defendants claimed that they were not guilty of the charges against them as they were "only following orders."
SOURCE

Isn't Durnford saying that if another Hitler were to come into power in the U.S., U.S. soldiers should just keep following orders until they find themselves guarding concentration camps? Or...employing nuclear weapons in a pointless WW3?

Durnford and his family will surely have VIP spots in a luxurious DUMB waiting regardless of what happens. When you put it all in context, I think it's relatively easy for him to advocate following orders all the way to the end.
edit on 29-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Pleads With Troops Not To Revolt Over 2016

As if anyone was planning to 'revolt', anyway.
(Other than a few ignorant despicable hillbillies! *__- )
Quite the manipulation going on, quite the drama.
Hysteria being encouraged by the hysterical...
edit on 29-10-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion
His principle is sound, That is the only attitude that the military should be taking in a democratic country.
But it may be symptomatic that he feels the need for such a statement- how much "rumbling" has he heard in his command?

P.S. Ah, I see it is a youtube video from a "network" which appears to have Trump leanings.

edit on 29-10-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

This is exactly the way the military is supposed to be in a democratic state. Military involvement in politics is a no-no. The military takes orders from the civilian authority and that's that.

Anyone who disagrees with this should go and live under a military dictatorship for a bit.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It seems to be a hard sign or a red flag for trouble after the election. I'd take this one seriously.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

This is exactly the way the military is supposed to be in a democratic state. ...

Yes.

When you actually have a democratic state.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Well, unless it is him personally marching the Army on Washington DC to take power, then that would not be what is happening.

When a Government usurps power from the people then said people, including those who serve in the military have every right to take action necessary to remove this hypothetical government from power.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   
When I was in the military we worked so much we didn't have time to give a crap about that kind of stuff. I don't think it has changed that much.

That stupid youtube video really takes things out of context.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

our troops and their officers have highly intelligent people in their ranks and are citizens to. many revolts have been started and led by highly intelligent people. a example of that are the founders of the U.S. come to mind first. then you can could count other countries that have had revolts started and led military people.

only sheep mindlessly follow their leaders.

edit on 29-10-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Here is the full text for those who are too lazy to follow links.

The OPs source took a lot of liberties and added a whole lot of spin in my opinion.

Original Source

As the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, I am honored to represent the extraordinary Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, and Coastguardsmen who make up the Joint Force. Throughout my travels and engagements, I continue to be inspired by your professionalism, your commitment to defending the Nation, and your adaptiveness in encountering the security challenges our country faces. Meeting the challenges of today’s dynamic and demanding operating environment while preparing the Joint Force to win future fights remain a team effort. This must remain our №. 1 priority, and I continue to devote my time, focus, and energy to this effort. At the same time, as our country again prepares for a peaceful transfer of power to a new administration, I write to share my views regarding our mutual obligations as military professionals and rights as citizens during this election season.

Every service member swears “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States” and to “bear true faith and allegiance to the same.” This oath is embedded in our professional culture and underpins the values that shape and define our all-volunteer force. Beginning with General George Washington resigning his military commission, our deliberate and disciplined commitment to upholding the principle of civilian control of the military underpins not only our warrior ethos but also the expectations of how we conduct ourselves while in uniform.

Every service member swears “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States” and to “bear true faith and allegiance to the same.” This oath is embedded in our professional culture and underpins the values that shape and define our all-volunteer force. Beginning with General George Washington resigning his military commission, our deliberate and disciplined commitment to upholding the principle of civilian control of the military underpins not only our warrior ethos but also the expectations of how we conduct ourselves while in uniform.

As military professionals, our most important asset is the trust of and credibility with the American people.

While we must always safeguard our professional integrity, extra vigilance is required during any political transition. Our individual and collective obligation during this election season is twofold. First, we must recognize that we have one Commander in Chief, and until authority is transferred on January 20, 2017, the Joint Force must remain clearly focused on and responsive to the existing National Command Authority. Second, the Joint Force must conduct itself in such a way that the new administration has confidence that it will be served by a professional, competent, and apolitical military. This is especially important in the context of delivering the best military advice.

Every member of the Joint Force has the right to exercise his or her civic duty, including learning and discussing — even debating — the policy issues driving the election cycle and voting for his or her candidate of choice. Provided that we follow the guidance and regulations governing individual political participation, we should be proud of our civic engagement. What we must collectively guard against is allowing our institution to become politicized, or even perceived as being politicized, by how we conduct ourselves during engagements with the media, the public, or in open or social forums.

We are living in the most volatile and complex security environment since World War II. Whether confronting violent extremist organizations seeking to destroy our way of life or dealing with state actors threatening international order, threats to our national security require a Joint Force that is ready, capable, and trusted. To that end, I have a duty to protect the integrity and political neutrality of our military profession. But this obligation is not mine alone. It belongs to every Soldier, Marine, Sailor, Airman, and Coastguardsman. Thank you for joining me in honoring our history, our traditions, and the institutions of the U.S. Armed Forces by upholding the principle of political neutrality.

As a 15+ year active duty Marine. I take this as saying make sure when we express our political views, we don't misrepresent our views as being the official stance of our Branch of Service.

And if we are making a statement while identifying ourselves a a Service Member we conduct ourselves in a professional manner.

I didn't get anything out of it about revolution

Just my personal opinion.
edit on 29-10-2016 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Isn't Durnford saying that if another Hitler were to come into power in the U.S., U.S. soldiers should just keep following orders until they find themselves guarding concentration camps? Or...employing nuclear weapons in a pointless WW3?

Durnford and his family will surely have VIP spots in a luxurious DUMB waiting regardless of what happens. When you put it all in context, I think it's relatively easy for him to advocate following orders all the way to the end.

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever come across on this site.

I may be biased because know the Dunfords, not a close family friend or anything, but I was in their house about 3 days a week for a solid year. So I can say this is a hilariously uninformed statement.

You need to lay off the Alex Jones. Because you're making yourself look stupid.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

This is exactly the way the military is supposed to be in a democratic state. Military involvement in politics is a no-no. The military takes orders from the civilian authority and that's that.

That is precisely correct. When there is civilian authority, the armed forces must respond to it.

However, civilian authority is given form and permission by the people, and by their hand alone. If a situation were to come about where the "elected" party were not actually elected by the people, but installed by the electoral college in direct opposition to their will, or worse, thrown into place in an emergency by the Continuity of Government group, or the 7th Floor mob, what would the situation be then?

Surely, there could be no legitimate claim to civilian authority, unless the people themselves voted for that authority? Surely there would be a cause to question that authorities legitimacy?

Anyone who disagrees with this should go and live under a military dictatorship for a bit.

I think you are probably under more threat of having your liberty taken from you by a false authority, than you ever are from a military dictatorship.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I'm well-informed about this situation.

Joseph Dunford, told the Senate last month that a no-fly zone would “require us to go to war against Syria and Russia” before walking his assessment back under pressure from proposal advocate John McCain.
SOURCE

Durnford expects U.S. soldiers to take orders to risk WW3 over Clinton's no fly zone. That's exactly the type of situation I was referencing in the original post. It's also exactly the type of situation that Durnford was saying the troops should remain loyal over.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

As a Trump supporter, you should find that reassuring.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Nvrmnd

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
The election will not cause a revolt.

A tyrannical agenda such as gun/other-blatant-property-confiscation or shutting down a constitutional convention could do it, though.
edit on 29-10-2016 by Teikiatsu because: -

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

As a Trump supporter, you should find that reassuring.

Please elaborate.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Most members of the military still receive some sort of briefing about how its our duty to not follow an illegal order.

So the we are setting ourselves up for a nazi regime are a tad over blown.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I'm well-informed about this situation.

Your every post shows that you are not.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I was in the Army it has to be that way.

The President is our top commander end of story.

otherwise the guys with all the tanks and guns if they start deciding to pick sides, we are losing the power structure that has CIVILLIANS in control of the military.. we lose that and it's coup coup...

Anyone in the Military knows it's your duty to not follow unlawful orders..

and all the rest of you should know that the military is at the mercy of the government.. Which in theory is at the mercy of YOU..

Make the good choices, because the military can't make political choices.. That would break what our government means.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join