It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: imjack

You're correct with that too. It can also be used like "Oh my God!". When I think about it, it can also be used like how Catholics stereotypically say "Mother of God!/Madre de Dios!". The more I think about it, the more I realize it's a pretty vague phrase.

ETA: LOL Now that I think about it, it's nearly the same as the American English phrase "Good God!", which can also be used for all kinds of dramatic things.

See a tornado? "Good God!"
See a car wreck? "Good God!"
Frustrated with someone's stupid questions? "Good God! Stop talking!"
A bunch of beautiful models walk by you? "Good God!"

Crap, now I can't stop thinking of similar phrases and sayings. Grr...

Yup, I'm no religous and still say thank god, jesus wept, good god, thank god, thank heavens they're ok, etc.... and may even scream it when jumping up and down if it's great news I just recieved on the phone or was talking to a mate on a train and they announced they're pregnants/married/bit of luck came their way.

Scary the ammount of responses on here where people would kill me for doing that or 'shoot first, ask later' but sadly even I'm probably likely to use violence or over react myself seeing as it's only ever reported as the negative militant islam side of the word is the only one that recieves any publicity and is drilled into peoples skulls everyday that using the phrase automatically means the person is a suicide bomber.

Great thread OP - has made me realise my own bigotry.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Encryptor

Let me get this straight: I addressed everything you typed in your semi-coherent post. You counter by saying I'm deflecting with my response, then proceed to ignore everything I actually posted while changing the subject numerous times. Right...

I think you need to look up the word "deflecting".

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Let me get this straight: I addressed everything you typed in your semi-coherent post. You counter by saying I'm deflecting with my response, then proceed to ignore everything I actually posted while changing the subject numerous times. Right...

I think you need to look up the word "deflecting".

No need to get 'techy' about it.

Simply respond to the post i made. Is it really that hard?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Change starts with a single step.

And thanks. This post made it worthwhile for me to respond here, even if it wasn't my posts that helped you see that something wasn't right.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Maybe if it wasn't clearly a trap and you were even slightly interested in the information you claimed to wonder about.

"Just looking for the Truth!
..."

Then your second post is just like give me a fking break.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:15 AM
link   

yeah ok, give me an f'ing break and stop with the semantics.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If I am on a bus and person screams "Oh My God" I want to know why and not assume they are insane, if a person with darker skin screams "Allahu Akbar", I would have the same reaction what caused them to scream that.
As long as both stay verbal I am not worried, if their words are then followed by something physically threatening then I would be concerned.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
"If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar..."

I would reach for my 9mm or 45 acp (depending on which one I am carrying on that day, that I keep in a concealed holster in the small of my back, I would keep a thumb on the safety and my trigger finger along the slide of the frame of the pistol, and if the guy makes any aggressive move, I would put 2 shots into the chest area and 1 in the head.....

This would apply to any radical person that makes an aggressive move towards doing harm to anybody, doesn't have to be Muslin, Black, White, Hispanic. If he's a really bad guy, then he needs to be taken out!

edit on 30-10-2016 by Spaceentity because: Addition to question

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Islam in the eyes of most is the religion that makes way for extremist terrorist ways. This does not come from recent attacks, nor does it come from recent news bulletins. This comes from its year after year fight against the west to interject itself into societies where it was once never known. Now all of a sudden western people are hearing phrases they have never heard before and in this state of mind, is odd easily noticed. This is due to a change in what people are used to. So if someone is to shout such a line as 'Allahu Akbar' it sure can be instantly noticed as not English, not French, not Italian, not any other language we are custom to. This alone creates a worry and concern to anyone that hears it, why are we hearing it now? It is not due to diversity, as those that blend in to our lives do so un-noticed already, non-violently.

I guess most would not act on it until the person saying it started acting strangely. (seeming aggressive, making gestures that seemed violent or acting in an not so ordinary fashion depending on when and where this person was doing it)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I would probably protect myself from the imminent explosion by diving behind a fat man.

If it turns out the Alahu Akbar man did not explode and it all turned out to be a jolly jape, i would be so embarrassed by my actions that i would say rude words to the japester just to cover up for being such a big girls arse.
edit on 30-10-2016 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
If I am on a bus and person screams "Oh My God" I want to know why and not assume they are insane, if a person with darker skin screams "Allahu Akbar", I would have the same reaction what caused them to scream that.
As long as both stay verbal I am not worried, if their words are then followed by something physically threatening then I would be concerned.

Have you ever been mugged or anything like that before?

Yeah, you're going to calmly analyze the situation and then make a rational action :rolleyes:
edit on 10/30/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What I would like to do may not be what I would do.Plus,you should
never really tell anyone online what you might do.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: imjack
a reply to: kibric

IMO this thread is bait with crappy translation as it's premise.

Allah Akbar while literally translating to "God is great" pretty clearly contextually translates to the Westerners equivalent of "Oh my GOD!" in those circumstances. Something VERY commonly said.

Racism at it's detail driven finest.

Why is predisposition towards racism ingrained in our genetics via evolution as a successful survival strategy?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: TechniXcality

If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar.......How would you feel, and how would you react?

if they just stood up and said it with nothing in their hands, like a ak or a push button,pull cord i'd just ignore them like i do the street preachers yelling at people at red lights, God or Jesus neither one told people to act that way.

when the street preachers come up and start yelling at me through my window, i turn up my 400 amps and let the music drown them out, they can't compete.

now if the jihadi has a ak, depending on where i'm at on how i will react, if he has a little button in his hand and i can see it i'm looking for cover.

Yeah, you'd totally look for a cord or a button when you're in the middle of a fight or flight instinctual response
This is a joke.
edit on 10/30/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

Why is predisposition towards racism ingrained in our genetics

That's like asking why it's not okay to take your pants off in public when you see a pretty lady.

Even if I believe something as stupid as a genetic predisposition to racism, succumbing to instincts makes you merely an animal. Humans look past such things obviously.
edit on 30-10-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

That's like asking why it's not okay to take your pants off in public when you see a pretty lady.

Even if I believe something as stupid as a genetic predisposition to racism, succumbing to instincts makes you merely an animal. Humans look past such things obviously.

Why do African immigrant cab drivers discriminate and refuse to pick up African American males? Isn't that racist?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Why do African immigrant cab drivers discriminate and refuse to pick up African American males? Isn't that racist?

Got any stats to back that up?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

It can be summed up in the following few words.

Context is everything.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Exactly. It's a programmed response in people here in the US. Before it was something that we've been told how to react to it meant nothing. Someone could yell Allah Akbar and nobody would even know what they were saying. It would be like screaming "Oobla Goodoobla". Nobody would think anything about it because it has no meaning.

Now, after years of being told "that's what terrorists say before they do something crazy" that is what people believe. Most still don't even have any idea what it means or how it's used by those who use it. They just react off of what they've been told and how they've been told to react to it.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

ACTUALLY it is a Jihadist DEATH yell and SOME of us didn't GET that way from watching the the news...but of course that would be UNKNOWN to you.
We have these things called REFLEXES(I don't THINK its a new science) and since these liberal "Cloward and PIVEN" fans have seen fit to start brushfire wars and kill off MORE troops,SOIME of them develop what is called PTSD.
and when startled by a loud noise can actually be on a scale from a jump to kill that source of noise...
SINCE they have heard enemy elements scream that before they die and blow themselves up ,they DON'T want to BLOW UP! Imagine that?
WELL then these people come home and find hippie retreads authorizing people to COME HERE FROM those places whee the bad men BLWEEW UP and yellED "ALLA AK BAR!" THEN blow up.
Where as YOUR explanation is somewhat LACKING in is logic ,MINE is still sound ..because I'M NOT behind enemy lines...

edit on 30-10-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join