It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian
a reply to: TechniXcality

So yes, Islamic people may be more likely to commit acts of religious violence these days but why is that? That never used to be the case, so what has changed? I know some people like to bang on about the Crusades (therefore proving Muslims have always been violent) but that is historical revisionism as it its very worst. The fact is Christians started the Crusades and also committed by far the worst atrocities. Christians and Jews often lived very inclusive and friendly lives within Muslim Caliphates and territories even during the worst of these periods - can the same be said for Muslims living in Christian territories?

Our perception of reality has been distorted to such an extent that we no longer really question anything properly. And even when we do question, do we really see the full picture, or just that part of the picture that we have managed to reveal?

The crusades were a delayed response to 100's of years of muslim aggression namely calls to aid by the byzantines and hopes of reunifying the church. Of course they screwed that up in the 4th crusade. Byzantines were the wall that kept Islam out of europe for a long time and they paid the price.
Tolerance but not equality, a separate but equal plus an added tax in the core of muslim lands, On the frontiers it was not like that. Islam came by the sword with waves of migrants behind them, wiping out many many christians. When they were beat back in France they never to returned because that time there were not migrants behind them.
Not saying the christians were any better with their various conquest conversions in northern europe of pagans.

The crusades opened the mediteranean back up and helped lead to the greater ages of europe, it closed back up when the barbary pirates became a major issue, an issue that the US took seriously enough to go to war with these barbary states.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It is all about context. The name "Mickey Mouse" brings images of a joyful cartoon character, but if for some reason, if you started to hear people say "Mickey Mouse" and someone got killed.... it would soon invoke fight or flight. "God is Great" was certainly once an enlightening message, but look how a bunch of retarded killers re-defined it.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
To everyone saying no big deal, how would you react to a person outside an abortion clinic loudly asking God to forgive him for what he or she must now do?

Because I would probably stand between that person and the clinic, and be ready to tackle or pull my pistol on him or her.
edit on 29-10-2016 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
.... How would you feel, and how would you react?

Provided I wasn't vaporized before I could react, I'd look around to see who was making an ass out of himself. Then I'd shake my head and go back to whatever I was doing.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

That's simply not true. Why is it that when people talk about the Crusades, they always ignore the Christan vs Pagan and Christian vs Christian Crusades? You know, like the Albigensian Crusade where the Catholics invades and massacred the Cathar Christians, leaving a death toll of between 200,000 and 1 million. Or the Northern Crusades, which wikipedia describes like this:

The Northern Crusades or Baltic Crusades were crusades undertaken by the Christian kings of Denmark, Poland and Sweden, the German Livonian and Teutonic military orders, and their allies against the pagan peoples of Northern Europe around the southern and eastern shores of the Baltic Sea. Swedish and German Catholic campaigns against Russian Eastern Orthodox Christians accompanied the Northern Crusades.

Not to mention, Middle Eastern Christians & Jews (like the Maghrebi Jews) were also targeted and killed by the Catholics during the 1st Crusade. Not only were they slaughtered alongside the Muslims in Jerusalem by the European invaders, but Europeans also had internal anti-Jewish operations like the "German Crusade 1096 (aka, the Rhineland Massacre)" which targeted the Jews in their own lands during the Crusades.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Just for the record, "Allahu Akbar" is a widely used phrase in Arabic, both by Arab Christians and Arab Muslims. And among many practicing Muslims of all backgrounds, it's pretty much used in place of "Thank God!".

Imagine I were talking w/a family member while riding a bus or train. My family member tells me "Oh snap! Your brother just texted me that he got a better job!", I might say "Allahu Akbar!" in response. Or if I'm checking an NBA app and my team just came from behind to win, I might say "Allahu Akbar!". Or if there's a tornado warning in a friend's neighborhood, but nothing bad happens, I might say "Allahu Akbar!".

It only has a negative stereotype here because nobody ever talks about the good things with Islam. If I only heard negative stories about "country" people, I'd probably also associate their stereotypical phrases with something bad (like "Yee haw!" & "Dangit!"). But that doesn't mean it would match reality.
edit on 30-10-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: mOjOm

Just for the record, "Allahu Akbar" is a widely used phrase in Arabic, both by Arab Christians and Arab Muslims. And among many practicing Muslims of all backgrounds, it's pretty much used in place of "Thank God!".

Imagine I were talking w/a family member while riding a bus or train. My family member tells me "Oh snap! Your brother just texted me that he got a better job!", I might say "Allahu Akbar!" in response. Or if I'm checking an NBA app and my team just came from behind to win, I might say "Allahu Akbar!". Or if there's a tornado warning in a friend's neighborhood, but nothing bad happens, I might say "Allahu Akbar!".

It only has a negative stereotype here because nobody ever talks about the good things with Islam. If I only heard negative stories about "country" people, I'd probably also associate their stereotypical phrases with something bad (like "Yee haw!" & "Dangit!"). But that doesn't mean it would match reality.

You're a muslim so i'm going to ask you something straight up.

If you were married to a woman and you were both fully indoctrinated with Muslim 'sent by mohammad himself idealisms' would you make her wear anything over her head or walk behind you? If you did not would you not be breaking the law of Islam in the face Allah?
Would you be sent to a Virginless hell for that?

Just Curious, looking for the Truth.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
How about when they yell "Allah Akbar" as their homes are bombed instead? Does that seem 'more fair and reasonable' to you?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: imjack

Brave of you

indoctrination goes both ways
Muslim and non Muslim

how we perceive each other..
what we are encouraged to see

edit on 30-10-2016 by kibric because: boo

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: kibric

IMO this thread is bait with crappy translation as it's premise.

Allah Akbar while literally translating to "God is great" pretty clearly contextually translates to the Westerners equivalent of "Oh my GOD!" in those circumstances. Something VERY commonly said.

Racism at it's detail driven finest.
edit on 30-10-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

As is usual, you bring a badly needed sense of sanity to threads concerning Islam, and its adherents.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I may not be PC to say this but as I am always trying to be aware of my surroundings and I am always preaching to my wife and kids to do the same, especially on public transport or in crowded areas/venues, I would have already been assessing the person long before he had his speech. Typically I scan what someone has on their person, the exits that are around me and who may have entered the area/train etc. with him.

I am white as can be and I scan anybody who looks out of place/ drunk/high that could give me or my family a bad day. Just part of growing up with some street smarts.

Would I have run up to fight him or try to be a hero, probably not because I would have assessed that if he was to leave the backpack/package or throw it etc.. it would most-likely have a short shelf life. My main focus would be me and the safety around me. If he is going to blow things up, I'll let him blow himself up too,

Just my .02

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Encryptor

1. Your reply has nothing to do with my post or this thread. Care to stay on topic?

2. I have no idea what this means:

If you were married to a woman and you were both fully indoctrinated with Muslim 'sent by Mohammad himself idealisms'

Are you talking about any specific Scriptures, denominations, or "schools of thought/jurisprudence"? Or is this something else altogether?
As for this:

Would you make her wear anything over her head or walk behind you?

I think my numerous responses in this thread (HERE) will answer this and any of your other hypothetical questions about my views on women's clothing.

Though I'll also add, if I were walking w/my hypothetical wife and we come across shady people, I'd definitely stand in between her & the shady characters, be it in front of or to the side of her. And I guess if it were raining hard or the wind were blowing hard, I'd stand in front of her to shield her from the wind/rain. Then again, if she's wearing a particularly form-fitting outfit, I'd probably walk behind her from time to time because I'm a perv. Though normally, we'd probably walk beside each other so we could talk and hold hands and whatever else.

So why do you ask? And why does it matter if it's between consenting adults?

If you did not would you not be breaking the law of Islam in the face Allah?

I just love it when non-Muslims try to tell me about the laws of Islam. If you're going to do this, at least bring up what denomination and/or school of thought you're referring to. If we were going strictly by the Qur'an, there are hundreds if not thousands of different rules. They cover what's 1. required of us; 2. recommend but not required of us; 3. allowed but neither recommended nor discouraged for us; 4. discouraged but not forbidden for us; and 5. forbidden for us. A woman covering her hair and cleavage isn't even near the top of the list in any of these categories (ETA: I think it's mentioned a whopping 2 times, with one time only referring to the Prophet's literal wives).

And the answer would differ greatly depending on the Sunnah, Hadith, historical rulings, denominational interpretations, or localized fatwas we're going by. So your answer depends on which form of Islam and which interpretation we're talking about. In other words, it's not a big deal to me but my hypothetical wife may believe it's serious business. Or she and her family's denomination may not care, but different community may care a lot.

A better example is this video of a Saudi Princess, Princess Ameerah (her husband's the uber-wealthy Saudi Prince who was invested in News Corp). Notice that she's not wearing any head covering (gasp!!1!), and women in the 2nd video vary between head coverings and no head coverings:
Oh wait, were you just looking for a stereotypical answer?

I have no idea what you're talking about here, either.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

As is usual, you bring a badly needed sense of sanity to threads concerning Islam, and its adherents.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Well, that translates into "down with, or death to" what ever name follows.

So if he was screaming that and said USA, or what ever after....

I would restrain him, and if he was the slightest bit threatening I would try to kill him.

Being on a train or bus is different than out walking in a protest.

If a weapon is out I would rather be the only one to die just so long as I have enough strength to crush his skull before I die.

edit on 10 30 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

You're correct with that too. It can also be used like "Oh my God!". When I think about it, it can also be used like how Catholics stereotypically say "Mother of God!/Madre de Dios!". The more I think about it, the more I realize it's a pretty vague phrase.

ETA: LOL Now that I think about it, it's nearly the same as the American English phrase "Good God!", which can also be used for all kinds of dramatic things.

See a tornado? "Good God!"
See a car wreck? "Good God!"
Frustrated with someone's stupid questions? "Good God! Stop talking!"
A bunch of beautiful models walk by you? "Good God!"

Crap, now I can't stop thinking of similar phrases and sayings. Grr...

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   

You're correct with that too. It can also be used like "Oh my God!". When I think about it, it can also be used like how Catholics stereotypically say "Mother of God!/Madre de Dios!". The more I think about it, the more I realize it's a pretty vague phrase.

ETA: LOL Now that I think about it, it's nearly the same as the American English phrase "Good God!", which can also be used for all kinds of dramatic things.

See a tornado? "Good God!"
See a car wreck? "Good God!"
Frustrated with someone's stupid questions? "Good God! Stop talking!"
A bunch of beautiful models walk by you? "Good God!"

Crap, now I can't stop thinking of similar phrases and sayings. Grr...

Yes, it's very vague. I personally like "Oh my God!" as it's Western Counterpart. Americans say that endlessly too.
Just look at it objectively. It doesn't even make any sense to scream "God is Great!" if your home was being bombed. It's a general plea to God out of distress. It has other parts to the definition sure, but it's not like it's solely direct translation as the OP attempts.
edit on 30-10-2016 by imjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:02 AM
link   

When I think about it, if it's something dramatic that catches me off guard in a bad way, I still say cuss words. As in "Oh ____!!!". I need to work on that, because I've almost completely stopped cussing.

When it's something dramatic but in a good way, I usually say something like "Well thank you God" or "See, I told you God is good". I might say "Allahu akhbar" too if I'm feeling a little playful (like with one of my Christian friends who loves to greet me & my family with common Arabic phrases).

As for people being too literal, that's funny to me because the same people don't take many American English phrases and figures of speech literally. Like who's talking about actual cow poop when they say "BS/bull crap"? And why would atheists say "Damn" or "Hell" when both are based on religious concepts?

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

They say it for everything, car wrecks, soccer games, general excitement, fear or prayer. To quote someone else, it's sort of an 'all-encompassing phrase.'

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

a reply to: Encryptor

1. Your reply has nothing to do with my post or this thread. Care to stay on topic?

2. I have no idea what this means:

If you were married to a woman and you were both fully indoctrinated with Muslim 'sent by Mohammad himself idealisms'

Are you talking about any specific Scriptures, denominations, or "schools of thought/jurisprudence"? Or is this something else altogether?
As for this:

Would you make her wear anything over her head or walk behind you?

I think my numerous responses in this thread (HERE) will answer this and any of your other hypothetical questions about my views on women's clothing.

Though I'll also add, if I were walking w/my hypothetical wife and we come across shady people, I'd definitely stand in between her & the shady characters, be it in front of or to the side of her. And I guess if it were raining hard or the wind were blowing hard, I'd stand in front of her to shield her from the wind/rain. Then again, if she's wearing a particularly form-fitting outfit, I'd probably walk behind her from time to time because I'm a perv. Though normally, we'd probably walk beside each other so we could talk and hold hands and whatever else.

So why do you ask? And why does it matter if it's between consenting adults?

If you did not would you not be breaking the law of Islam in the face Allah?

I just love it when non-Muslims try to tell me about the laws of Islam. If you're going to do this, at least bring up what denomination and/or school of thought you're referring to. If we were going strictly by the Qur'an, there are hundreds if not thousands of different rules. They cover what's 1. required of us; 2. recommend but not required of us; 3. allowed but neither recommended nor discouraged for us; 4. discouraged but not forbidden for us; and 5. forbidden for us. A woman covering her hair and cleavage isn't even near the top of the list in any of these categories (ETA: I think it's mentioned a whopping 2 times, with one time only referring to the Prophet's literal wives).

And the answer would differ greatly depending on the Sunnah, Hadith, historical rulings, denominational interpretations, or localized fatwas we're going by. So your answer depends on which form of Islam and which interpretation we're talking about. In other words, it's not a big deal to me but my hypothetical wife may believe it's serious business. Or she and her family's denomination may not care, but different community may care a lot.

A better example is this video of a Saudi Princess, Princess Ameerah (her husband's the uber-wealthy Saudi Prince who was invested in News Corp). Notice that she's not wearing any head covering (gasp!!1!), and women in the 2nd video vary between head coverings and no head coverings:
Oh wait, were you just looking for a stereotypical answer?

I have no idea what you're talking about here, either.

I love it when people deflect.. kinda like what you just did. You Rock.

Yeah i get the whole 'shielding my woman thing' but that's not what i asked. You mentioned i was off track asking this yet you continue on talking about it.

You have no idea if i'm a non Muslim or not, so you just judged me right there for something you have no knowledge of.

I don't give a rats ass what some Saudi Princess has to say, she' was most likely coached to say what she did. Have you forgotten the Saudi's are head of the UN? Like no one can figgure that one out!

Try listening to people around you, people you'd normally ignore because they don't agree with your Version of Islam and how everyone who doesn't must be racist.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join