It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
a reply to: TechniXcality

Threat Assessment, Egress Points, Blast Cover, Assault Assessment - Kind of depends on distance when they yell that. If I was close enough it would be lights out for that individual, unless he is holding a swiss deadman detonator

Bull#.

And everyone else saying what they'd do is full of # too.

What you'll do is go into fight-or-flight mode. You're either going to run or you're going to go dog # and attack the guy without thinking and without assessing. You don't know which of the 2 you'll do until you're actually in the situation.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Based on my experience of commuting on public transportation my whole life, anyone screaming anything is a threat.

Religious screaming has always come in the form of schizophrenics fixated on Jesus so its always been a trigger to immediately asses if there's a threat or not.

I've not come across a Muslim that is mentally ill or proselytizing. So if I heard it I might be more scared initially but wouldn't react any differently.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: bastion

sp perception it is... the media is lying we are all in a false reality... no?

Yes and no - the media are 'lying' as the general public are too stupid or lazy to research such things in depth so they're forced to create a narrative the public already understand as they've become a commodity rather than public service thanks to capitalism.

Same way B.F Skinner introduced the cowboy in the white hat alwyas beats the one in the black hat - the public aren't interested in actual news and info, they just want info that fits in with their skewed world view.

If the news in the UK published that 99.5% of people arrested in the UK on terrorism charges were white UK nationals in the still ongiong protestant catholic ireland/northern ireland wars; the public narrative would be detroyed and the papers would have to spend real money doing real journalism instead of blaming evrything on brown/non-white people, refugees, immigrants etc...

Trying to describe very complex news stories in 450 -700 words is nigh on impossible without taking shortcuts and relying on stereotypes - there's a book called 'Flat Earth News' by UK juornalist Nick Davies that explains all this and things like the myth of Al-Zaqari (US said he was terror leader planning bombings) reality as he owned a couple of goats, lived with his mum and had a little bag of fertiliser to help with farming but the US made him the worlds most wanted terrorist.

www.flatearthnews.net...

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I look forward to reading that!! I've read a little about what medicine and philosophy have written on that subject, and I'd much rather read about what real people have experienced there.

I know I feel I don't exactly fully 'fit' anywhere in this earthly realm except in a hammock with a pile of books around me, lol!

Wish that gig paid better

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Probably say something along the lines of "Hey Vinny, you ok today? You're not acting like yourself. Here, have my Snickers." and watch him morph back into a tanned Italian-American.

I may have watched a few of those Snickers commercials on YT earlier, they're amusing XD In all reality, its not something that's going to get an accurate predetermined answer because it's a situation that is going to trigger split-second fight or flight responses in people, and even the biggest tough guys replying are capable (and likely) of running like hell instead of be the tough insta-Chuck Norris they emphatically profess they'd be.

The short of it for me is I dunno, bro. I'd either dogpile with the others that choose to, or flee with the rest. No idea which I'd actually pick in the heat of the moment, let alone what I'd be thinking about beyond that.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I don't understand their fascination with Admiral akbar anyhow. He he was a cool character in star wars but no Han solo.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
.... How would you feel, and how would you react?

You know its funny, because I am an atheist, and reserve no criticism for any certain idea or religion.

In fact, i went ahead and tested a theory while intoxicated, and with a good friend in downtown Dallas. I looked at him randomly while drunk, at the train station, and said," you know what brother, we can act as insane as we want so long as we do it in the name of Jesus, and no one will care". he replied," what do you mean?". however, he quickly realized what i meant when i started screaming in the loudest high pitch voice I could muster," J E S U S" and then in unison he grabbed onto a tree, legs and ass in the air and began screaming," THE POWER OF GOD".Next thing we know we have groups of people forming prayer circles, talking about how in the spirit we were, it was utterly hilarious. it however was not dangerous, people were laughing and praying.

That made me wonder while on the train today, if an Islamic person stood up on a train in a very aggressive and insane way and began screaming Allah Akbar, how many would react in fear and anticipation? including myself. The truth is, I would immediately start threat assessing, making quick choices as to whether i should charge this person or not. I am interested to hear what your HONEST reactions would be in such a hypothetical situation.

The question becomes are we arguing perceptions or realities? however i think it's obvious we are arguing realities, as there is more evidence of insane religious actions by Islamic people in this day and age, and is almost always more deadly than those of Christianity or other religions. Of course no one would put this to the test, which is why we are arguing perceptions and reality's,.my Egyptian friend showed me this video what do you guys think?

you cannot satire absurdity, it just so happens Islam in its most understood form is the most popular absurd religion that exists.

Here in the "Christian" South , we would have KNOWN you were intoxicated....

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
For equal effect you should have yelled "Deus Vult" not said jesus stuff.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I'm an aethiest too, but the last time someone stood up and said give me all your money in a covenience store, had a can of baked beans donked on their head from bout 8 yards out, and it was all over. I felt proud, and very australian, like the seen from Crocodile Dundee stopping the mugger. There was a news clip, see if i can find it.

Woulda bloody hurt.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar...

....get up an dance...

edit on 29 10 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I believe I would react as you TX, though I'm not certain how I would react if it were a Christian or other religious crazy. I would still be threat assessing, but I believe my mind would automatically lean towards different worst-case scenarios (the downside to filtering a threat assessment through a mind with its own tainted, assumptive ideas of outcome probabilities.)

ETA: btw, great thread idea and OP!
edit on 10/29/2016 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Depends if they started hugging trees a la your Christian experiment.

Wouldn't see a problem with that.

Also depends where you are, I'm sure Dallas would be highly tolerant.

Dearborn would get different results I'm sure.

There is no singular answer to this.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

That could be the most stupid thing to do and I am sure that with the states of affairs regarding terrorism in our nation it will not have a good outcome, jail time will follow for the prank and a very hefty fine.

edit on 29-10-2016 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

First of all, star and flag for this thread as it is actually making me think (a bit of a rarity in these days of Trump / Clinton saturation).

I hold myself to be a liberal, free thinking sort of guy so initially thought i would be fine with it. However, the more i think about it, the less sure i am. Let me expand a bit there..... If, following your example about yourself and your friend, i saw Christians doing that i would smile to myself and keep walking (whilst thinking something along the lines of "nutters but whatever floats your boat").

But with Muslims? I guess we have been conditioned to think of Muslims as "the bad guys". So the more i thought about it, the more i thought would i be the same as with Christians? And the truth is, i don't know. And then i started to think that just because they shouted that, it wouldn't necessarily denote anything bad, they could simply have mental health issues. But then i started to think abouth part and thought why? If it was Christians, we don't automatically think metal health or terrorism so why should it be same with Muslims?

The fact is, some people are simply drunk on religion. Nothing i can agree with but equally nothing to really criticise unless they are hurting others with it. So why think differently for Muslims? Why always assume terrorism or aggression?

My conclusion? Even though i have always been aware of this media agenda, i have been affected myself. Even though i always argue against the demonisation of a religion and its members, i find myself (subconsciously) doing the very same thing. This makes me a hypocrite, something i have always admitted to - but this is different as this is hypocracy i was unaware of.

So yes, Islamic people may be more likely to commit acts of religious violence these days but why is that? That never used to be the case, so what has changed? I know some people like to bang on about the Crusades (therefore proving Muslims have always been violent) but that is historical revisionism as it its very worst. The fact is Christians started the Crusades and also committed by far the worst atrocities. Christians and Jews often lived very inclusive and friendly lives within Muslim Caliphates and territories even during the worst of these periods - can the same be said for Muslims living in Christian territories?

Our perception of reality has been distorted to such an extent that we no longer really question anything properly. And even when we do question, do we really see the full picture, or just that part of the picture that we have managed to reveal?

The simple truth is that most people from whatever part of the world do not care or realise that almost everything is a lie. God, even something as simple as colour is a distortion of the truth that allows us to explain why we see in colour.

So OP, thanks for making me think again. This is the first thread in an awfully long time to truly make me look at myself.

Of course, there is always the alternative that after a week of intensive flying i simply have jet lag from hell and now have mush for a brain. Today though, i will rule neither possibilty out!

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Wow! That pranking video was extreme. Obviously, if someone throws an object and runs for dear life, most humans will instinctually run too! I couldn't help but think watching that prank video, that the reaction of running would be the same if a woman yelled Jesus is great and tossed that pack in the same manner! It seemed the actions were more threatening than the actual dress. I noticed almost all of the victims seemed quite friendly, if not only curious, until the Arab actor acted out. Your vid showed people were more afraid of a pack tossed at them threateningly rather than an Arab dressed with a pack.

So I would say that while my attention would be drawn to someone all of the sudden yelling, I would most likely react the same as screaming out anything. Anyone yelling and screaming any phrase would have me wanting to make distance from them. Extremely annoying anywhere!

edit on 10 29 2016 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I threat assess every time I see people acting out in an extreme manner..

But then again I have also been called mildly paranoid with trust issues so read into that what you will.

ETA: I hate being on a train with a passion, to many people in to small an area for me... so I would be a bit amped up already.
edit on 29-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: additional thought

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

If an Islamic person stands up on a train and screams Allahu Akbar.......How would you feel, and how would you react?

if they just stood up and said it with nothing in their hands, like a ak or a push button,pull cord i'd just ignore them like i do the street preachers yelling at people at red lights, God or Jesus neither one told people to act that way.

when the street preachers come up and start yelling at me through my window, i turn up my 400 amps and let the music drown them out, they can't compete.

now if the jihadi has a ak, depending on where i'm at on how i will react, if he has a little button in his hand and i can see it i'm looking for cover.

edit on 29-10-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I had a strange experience on a bus some years ago.

I got on the bus and was sitting on the upper deck. Two men got on, I don't wanna sound nasty but they "looked" muslim, yeah?

Them beards, the clothes, darker skin, all the usual. They sayt directly behind me and they were loud, one chatting loud, quite authoratitve to the other, the other...sounded slightly upset.

Ok so I'm just sitting there paying them little heed, suddenly the sort of quieter one sounds upset in his speech, they're talking foreign so I don't know.

What's being said.

No idea what they're chatting about.

The upset one started to sob, still talking...his voice was getting higher and higher pitched. I started to sit up and take notice.

The other one seems kind of uncaring, don't know what's being said but it's like he's scolding or mocking the one who's upset. Upset one becomes almost hysterical, he's bawling...clearly very worried or upset, but the other remains cold.

Wailing, bawling guy really starts to lose it, he's sobbing, uncontrollably. I sort of glanced round...and here's what I remember. The sort of stern one was looking right at me, almost like he was looking at me, staring at the back of my head before I even turned round. The other guy is leaning forward and down so I can't see his face.

As I turned back to face the front I saw a tear sort of glisten in the light as it fell from his face, whatever he was crying about his pain was very real, and I started to get really paranoid.

Voices in my head were shouting...screaming - get off the bus! Sit on another seat!

But I can't...because it's sending out a message, isn't it? If you get up and move, it'd be obvious why...and that cold, stern looking one looked pretty mad at me when I looked round. So I sayt and waited it out, it sort of calmed down. Crying guy sobbed a bit then I came to my stop and got off.

But I went home that day and thought...if it ever happens you either won't act, or you'll act and it'll be unwarranted. In retrospect, probably just a guy who was grieving or had an unfortunate experience, it was a complete breakdown right there in front of a lot of people. I wonder, was I the only one who's mind was racing, wondering wtf was happening?

Why would a guy bawling on a bus scare me so much? It genuinely did, now, lookin backl...maybe I was over-reacting. I bet I wasn't the only one...so if they shouted Allahu akbar, we all like to think, yeah...I'd knock him out, I'd do this, I'd do that.

But would you? Who knows...but one thing I do know, there's no point trying to threaten people if they wanna blow themselves up, guns won't help. You need to take that crazy out before he takes himself out. We all like to see ourselves as the hero what disarms the villain and saves the day, but in reality most of us would probably do nothing.

Either out of fear of being hurt, or out of fear of what people will think of us if our actions/reactions turn out to be unjustified.

Now I know...I'd have looked and felt like a right dick that night had I moved. They did nothing to anyone, just two people experiencing some of the (perhaps not so) wonderful things life throws as us all from time to time.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

originally posted by: spirit_horse

Threat Assessment, Egress Points, Blast Cover, Assault Assessment - Kind of depends on distance when they yell that. If I was close enough it would be lights out for that individual, unless he is holding a swiss deadman detonator

Bull#.

And everyone else saying what they'd do is full of # too.

Stupid things like that assumption are why some of us former LEO's and service men don't like talking with civilians. Because much like you they make baseless assumptions based not on facts but how they feel.

You don't know what we have been through.what we can handle,or the mental training for this exact type of event that we have prepared ourselves for. A lot of people don't realize that the way you survive horrible situations is by being brave and confident in your ability to do what needs to be done,while keeping a cool head and improvising when necessary however that needs to be. That is not to say that we are not afraid we just make the choice mentally that we are not going to let ANYONE or ANYTHING get in the way of our right to live our lives and pursue happiness.
edit on 29-10-2016 by VashTheStampede because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Shoot first with my .44 auto mag, ask questions later if there's anything left.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join