It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First Albino Beauty Pageant in Kenya Defies Deadly Stigma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

In the world's first contest of its kind, 10 men and 10 women competed in the Mr and Miss Albinism Kenya pageant this month in Nairobi. Its motto was "Beauty Beyond the Skin".

The competition, which drew a crowd of about 1,000 including Deputy President William Ruto, was designed to celebrate people with albinism - who lack pigment in their skin, hair and eyes - and challenge stigma and persecution.

"Even when I was dating, it was difficult for girls to say I'm handsome," said Isaac Mwaura, Kenya's first parliamentarian with albinism and founder of the Albinism Society of Kenya, which organized the pageant.

RELATED: YGB: Albino Model, Shaun D Ross

"I knew I was handsome (but) people with albinism are seen as not beautiful, as not good-looking, and that has an effect on their self esteem," he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

People with albinism are frequently shunned, attacked and even killed across Africa. In many countries, their body parts are believed to bring wealth and good luck and are prized in witchcraft for use in charms and magical potions.

Albinism is a congenital disorder affecting up to one in 15,000 people in sub-Saharan Africa.

World's First Albino Beauty Pageant in Kenya Defies Deadly Stigma

I didn't know that Albinism was such a big deal in Africa; there's what seems to be an underground network for Albvino limbs because it's supposed to bring good luck. Albinos in Africa are apparently ridiculed and taunted for being different and called "zeru", which means "ghost", or "pesa", a Swahili word for money because of the value of their body parts. I cannot believe that I'm posting this nonetheless reading it; the idea that there are people in the world who still think this way is frightening.

I think this pageant is a good first step to bring the issue out of the shadows in Africa.

Anyway, what does ATS think about this..?

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I think it;s great. Was recently reading about Shaun Ross an albino model and Winnie Harlow the fashion model with vitiligo.

posted on Oct, 28 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   
"the value of their body parts?" what does that mean albino body parts are worth more?

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Misterlondon
"the value of their body parts?" what does that mean albino body parts are worth more?

Yes, in the article it says that Albino parts are considered "lucky" and that Witchdoctors pay as much as $75,000 for them.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I think it;s great. Was recently reading about Shaun Ross an albino model and Winnie Harlow the fashion model with vitiligo.

I've always known that they existed but I didn't know that there is a "community" of Albinos in Africa. Nor, did I know of the struggles Albinos endure.
edit on 29-10-2016 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

One of (or maybe the ONLY) book I know of in which an Albino plays a major role, is "The Book of Chameleons" by Jose Eduardo Agualusa. These people need to publicize their plight & the only way is via education & playing a role in "normal" society. . .even in a beauty pageant (with which I take issue as a superficial appearance-based foolishness, but in this case it has a real role to play.)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Yes, in the article it says that Albino parts are considered "lucky" and that Witchdoctors pay as much as $75,000 for them.

Are these body parts harvested from living individuals? I sure hope not.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
my favorite Albino is Edgar Winter

edit on 29-10-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Are you serious? You've not heard of this before? They don't "harvest" from live individuals in Africa, they murder them and deal the body parts. It's effing barbaric and has been going on for eons.

posted on Oct, 29 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

This is a good step forward for Kenyan society, and hopefully highlights to their population that this simple genetic difference is nothing more than a trivial color variance that has no bearing on the character of the individual. Now, how can we capitalize on this here in the states?? Perhaps a USA version could be in the works??

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   
All the albinos I have seen had white hair, white skin, pink eyes. The photo of the contestants was totally confusing to me.

I know it's in africa but if albino-ism is no pigment...?

RC

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Ritual Cannibalism.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Very positive step as it's one of the many sad injustices in the world that has not been done away with. Hope this positiveness catches on in helping that the barbaric practices are left behind.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Sometimes, they apparently do so!

In Tanzania last year, a 6-year-old boy had this arm chopped off by witch doctors who believe potions and charms made from the body parts of albinos are guaranteed to bring success. "There is also a belief that having sex with a person living with Albinism can cure HIV; a superstition that has increased cases of rape and infection among Albinos," says Kenyan student Peter Kiprop Koima. He is responsible for the creation of the #AlbinismIsJustAColour hashtag, which trended in Kenya this week.

Source BBC

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedCairo
All the albinos I have seen had white hair, white skin, pink eyes. The photo of the contestants was totally confusing to me.

I know it's in africa but if albino-ism is no pigment...?

RC

Yeah the main photo is confusing. Looks to be many contestants were dressed up and others were helping with the agent. Contact lenses also help albino people's sensitive eyes.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well that's too bad. I was actually thinking a beauty contest that intentionally focus ON the 'albino look' -- I could easily imagine beautiful girls who just happen to be surreally white -- would be really interesting.

PJ

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

Nothing stopping us from gathering interest and setting one up stateside. We can get sponsors by products for moisturizers, hair dye, color contacts, and other general health and beauty companies. maybe Trump can give us a hand? The wonderful thing about celebrating stuff like genetics and culture, is we can make it profitable!!

posted on Oct, 31 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

This is a good step forward for Kenyan society, and hopefully highlights to their population that this simple genetic difference is nothing more than a trivial color variance that has no bearing on the character of the individual. Now, how can we capitalize on this here in the states?? Perhaps a USA version could be in the works??

Well said. This is an idea that should be implemented in the States.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elderlight

www.latimes.com...

Thanks for posting. It's shameful what happens to albinos in Africa.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join